Author Topic: Secondary Beams (IDEA)  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
Secondary Beams (IDEA)
I have just came up with a idea for some secondary beams, the beams are normal beams but they are limited to a certian ammount of units (Cargo Size) each one of these units take a certain ammount of seconds to be used up. (not including warm up and warm down.)

Tech:

Due to the recent devlopments into the elementry matter reactors, the Vasudans have applied there beam making know how to devloping a fighter mounted reactor capable of powering a small antifighter beam "Aurora". The beam is limited only by the reactors power supply which is initialy 30 seconds of fireing time, and can be recharded by the newley modified support craft.

I think this will be a popular choice so if somone could develope this idea I and others would apreciate it.

8-)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2002, 11:08:46 am by 195 »
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Im really starting to get sick of hearing about people wanting fighter beams... I mean sure they are cool, but thats not really what fighters were meant for. Beams are big hulking weapons that are supposed to be used on big hulking capital ships, while small, manuverable fighters were meant to cause small amounts of damage while evading the big hulking weapons on big hulking ships. Lets not start mixing up the roles of each type of craft here.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by vadar_1
Im really starting to get sick of hearing about people wanting fighter beams... I mean sure they are cool, but thats not really what fighters were meant for. Beams are big hulking weapons that are supposed to be used on big hulking capital ships, while small, manuverable fighters were meant to cause small amounts of damage while evading the big hulking weapons on big hulking ships. Lets not start mixing up the roles of each type of craft here.
for once, we agree (gasp, what a thought ;))  fighters just werent meant for certain weaponry, flak, beams, and meson bombs.  I dunno how many people have said "Lets make a new secondary, a meson bomb/torpedo", no slight against anyone with ideas like these, but fighters werent meant to be as powerful as capital ships, and for that matter, frieghters werent meant to be able to take on cruisers.  Over-arming ships screws up the balance too much.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well were not mounting BFreds of fighters, the beams are like 1/4 as powerful as an AAA beam, there fighter sized, they probly do less hull damage/second than most current fighter weapons
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
I worked out something called a beam laser, but when I initially made it, I used the same technique as the Babylon boys.

Has the source code been adjusted to make proper beams?
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
Originally posted by Bobboau
well were not mounting BFreds of fighters, the beams are like 1/4 as powerful as an AAA beam, there fighter sized, they probly do less hull damage/second than most current fighter weapons

Then whats the point? Beam weapons were meant to be fired while the ship is travelling at maybe 15-20 m/s tops, not 90m/s while in a full swing turn and a barrel roll. Besides, if the targeting laser has told us anything, its that beams are hard as hell to aim while moving, just drop the damn idea.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;

I think your all missing the point of this idea. What has been proposed is that we make one-shot beams that are secondaries, so they're not overly powerful, replace missiles in some situations and have a very long range. You'd make them non-shield penetrating, but since they're instant hit they'd be very useful and since you only have a limited amount they couldn't be overly powerful. I think this is a great way of doing it without throwing out the game balance.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
I'm after the same idea as Minbari fighters. Except my fighters are better, and the beams are yellow. :)
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I like the beams, there only realy usfull up close, they add a new element to game play,
I don't see why you dislike them so much
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
wanna know what i think? i think vBB shoulda stayed so all the newbies and trolls would stay there and not come here

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Are you calling me a troll? :mad:
------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't think he was calling you a troll
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I think fighter beams have a great place beside standard pulse weapons.  There are problems that need to be sorted out:

- shield penetration
- damage / range issues
- visually

However, its doable from what I'm told and it adds another type of weapon to play with.  Nobody is suggesting putting mega powerful weapons on a fighter.  That'd be as stupid as a BFRed on every turret the Fenris has.

And any problems with aim would be something that the player would have to deal with....there are ways to balance this effect/weapon out to make it beneficial.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
Originally posted by LtNarol
wanna know what i think? i think vBB shoulda stayed so all the newbies and trolls would stay there and not come here

:yes:

Not pointing at anyone in particular.... *cough*

Projects;

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
no frenzy, i wasnt refering to you

Ok cut this into two ideas going separate ways:

The first is what was originally suggested and I expanded on - beams as secondary ammo that give you a single shot each (and you wouldn't have many)

The second are 'beam bombs' which you shoot and travel like bombs towards a target but rather then bombing they shoot a beam at a certain range (a pretty powerful one, but not more damage then a Helios)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
why,
beams are energy weapons they have emiters and use reactor power, they arnt bombs and there isn't a limeted number of shots any one can have (unless you hold it down too long and the heat sinks melt)

I actualy think it would work better if fighter/bomber mounted beams were controled as a seperate weapon system entierly, with it's own set of locking systems (right now I'm thinking, instant lock, something like aspect lock, and dumbfire ie strait) and power system, also these could be controled through turrets thus could be destroyed

however I think getting a simple dumbfire beam that comes out of the primary banks would be good also
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Originally posted by vadar_1

I gotta agree.  Beams kind of lose their mystique if every ship and its dog has one, no matter how toned down they are.
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
As I said earlier, Minbari fighter weapons are my idea of fighter mounted weaponry. Besides, if the human race gets to that level of technology, our fighter weapons will look like that.
------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I don't see the point here anyway. If people don't like it, just don't read the thread and don't use fighter beams, m'kay?
SCREW CANON!