Author Topic: Looking for a Freespace campaign to play  (Read 1673 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Looking for a Freespace campaign to play
Hey all! I'm out of money for new video games, so I'm looking for a mod to play. I'm looking for something that's not too intense (since I'm a noob and need to relax) and preferably something that focuses on atmosphere/story rather than gameplay. Sync is a great example - gameplay took second fiddle to story and it was quite easy. Procyon Insurgency was too intensive.

Here's what I've played so far in no particular order, aside from the retail campaigns and ST:R:

Echo Gate and Phantoms
Ancient Shivan War
The Antagonist
Blue Planet AoA
Derelict, Warzone, Twilight
Vassago's Dirge
Windmills
Sync and Transcend

I'd really appreciate some recommendations. Old, new, whatever. Tell me what you think is fun!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Looking for a Freespace campaign to play
Shameless self promotion

Though the version on Knossos is slightly more up to date.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:40:26 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Shrouding the Light.
FSPort's Aftermath (Part of Cold Element continutiy as Derelict, Twilight and Warzone)
Rain on Ribos IV
Into the Halls of Valhalla (Derelict alternative sequel)
Inferno
Sol - A History

Everyone of them should not very difficult and are more or less Retail in Gameplay.
Even i do not know if all of them are playable in current FSO versions.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:12:24 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Rain on Ribos IV

Please wait until the new year ... for reasons that will be made clear soonish.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=93581.0
-> Shameless self-promotion the 2nd  :D

I tried to focus on the story and the characters and several people told me they liked it :) If you scale down the difficulty to 2nd run, I don't think that it's that tough ;) You can also find several tips within the threat. And if you played Blue Planet AoA, you could slip into the story quiet easily since it starts only weeks after the GTVA arrived in Sol.
But whatever you're going to play, have fun! There's a lot of awesome stuff here!

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Shrouding the Light.
As a whole it's not too hard but there's one mission towards the end that I found to be ridiculously difficult.
Sol - A History
If you play this, I'd strongly suggest downloading it from Knossos.  There are several different versions floating around, not all of which work properly on 3.8.0.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Shameless self promotion

Though the version on Knossos is slightly more up to date.

I am ashamed to say that I tried BtA but got stuck. You guys did a freaking fantastic job with that mod though, you should be proud. :)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=93581.0
-> Shameless self-promotion the 2nd  :D

I tried to focus on the story and the characters and several people told me they liked it :) If you scale down the difficulty to 2nd run, I don't think that it's that tough ;) You can also find several tips within the threat. And if you played Blue Planet AoA, you could slip into the story quiet easily since it starts only weeks after the GTVA arrived in Sol.
But whatever you're going to play, have fun! There's a lot of awesome stuff here!

Oh yeah, I remember giving the first mission a try when you released it as a preview. It was pretty good. I think I'll give the full campaign a shot, thanks! :)