Author Topic: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus  (Read 44249 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus
bump, kind of --
How do I break a Gorg siege laser? I'm playing through the game, and have played the Freespace 2 mod as well. Both are awesome.

That mission is hard as ****. If you aren't rolling with this setup already, put Crisis Energy Bombs (or whatever your closest equivalent are right now) on the Angelwing, and give everybody else anti-hull weapons.

The Siege lqser formation is ... random, sometimes, they manage to get in formation very quickly and frag your ass in a minute or so, sometimes they just float around.

Another problem is that they need only one ship to fire the laser, although at a slow rate of fire, meaning that if you are careless, it can destroy the support ship behind your back.

If you want to get the medal (= destroying every gorg ship) : pack a lot of lazors, disable the siege laser (don't destroy it, I think it causes the gorg to withdraw), then everybody's IP drive

If you just want to pass the mission, what battuta said : lot of energy shell/energy torpedoes + gatling guns or whatever tactic you use to blast everyone as fast as possible.

Everyone who 's got Nexus, download and play this, it is very easy to install, installer does everything, evo provides a much different view of the battle, an admirals point of view, whereas in FS, you 're just a pilot.

Still, there is a lot to be done. More missions is a top priority.

I have yo say "Thank you" for that, since with all the variations inherent with the skirmish editor, there are a lot of battles, skirmishes, dogfights and infinite variations thereof.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
I've played neither Homeworld or Nexus, but have an enough amount of RTS experience to judge that this may really be fun.

So, Homeworld mod or Nexus mod? Suggestions to which I should try out first?
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline starlord

Might it be possible in the future to welcome more nexus ships under freespace? that noah ship pictured previously is stunning...

I've played neither Homeworld or Nexus, but have an enough amount of RTS experience to judge that this may really be fun.

So, Homeworld mod or Nexus mod? Suggestions to which I should try out first?

Depends on what you're looking for. Nexus isn't really an RTS, its more of an RTT, though they bill it as a "Tactical Fleet Simulator" to dress it up. It's much more focused where on your tactical acumen than anything else. It's isn't twitch based and there are few gimmicks in the gameplay itself. Basically, you're going to come up with a plan, then spend five minutes watching it happen. It is also one of the prettiest games of all time as well, so thats totally okay.

Homeworld is a bit more on the traditional RTS side, though it still requires careful thought about ship facing and attack vector (unless you're playing the second one.) Homeworld is also very pretty for it's time and has one of the best storylines in gaming bar none, as well as a kickass musical store.

They're both excellent titles, but they're really completely different from one another. I would say give them both a shot. Nexus is easy to find (5 - 10 bucks on Steam,) whereas all three Homeworld titles are becoming a bit hard to find nowadays.

Offline -Norbert-

Though Homeworld does have the advantage of being much more famous, which comes with bigger communities (mods, ect.) and a better chance to find people with or against to play online.
Nexus has two things in common with FS2. Both are great games and both didn't sell well, though in that regard Nexus is even worse off than FS2.
If you need a comparison, I guess Starfleet command gets close to how Nexus plays (especially SFC3, due to the ship customization).

Oh and Nexus runs without a hitch on Windows 7 64bit, even without compatibiliy mode. I didn't try HW2 since getting the new Win, so I can't say anything about that (or HW1 and Cataclysm for that matter).

Homeworld is also very pretty for it's time and has one of the best storylines in gaming bar none,
HW1 and Cataclysm yes, but the HW2 story....
On that matter HW1 definately tops Nexus in regards to the handbook. HW1 has a really nice one, with lots of background stroy. History of the exiles, political system, ship infos, details on the Kithiid (i.e. clans - however the correct spelling goes anyway) and even a little bit about the gameplay :lol: .

You're right. I really didnt pan Homeworld 2 hard enough in that post. Seriously it's one of those really tragic sequels that isn't bad, it's just average. Which is a slap in the face after how Awesome the original and Cata (though your mileage may vary on that one) were.

All the Homeworld games run fine on Win 7 64 and can be widescreen hacked easily, BTW.

okay, kill me, but I actually liked HW2. Well, I'll admit, the story was a tad bit weaker, and tactics was of the table almost all of the time except three missions(the one where you search for the Oracle, the vaygr outpost with s**tloads of BC's, and the one where you kick Makan's dreadnaught). Except for these, all the rest are pretty straightforward indeed, maybe a bit too much.
However, I kinda enjoyed it being much more fast paced than the first two, and the auto-gather thing is a life saver.
But yes, HW was a lot better story and tactical wise, although I do have my reserves about Cata, will have to go again through it.
As for Nexus, I really have to play it on hard!

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Any progress on FreeSpace Evolutions? Would love to see some Orions in there...
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Darius

Might it be possible in the future to welcome more nexus ships under freespace? that noah ship pictured previously is stunning...

Well that particular model is from Cadius's X3 mod, which has a few Noah ships in it. I've got the Noah destroyer ingame and useable but need to work out how to get the larger ships convertable.

Offline Arparso

Well that particular model is from Cadius's X3 mod, which has a few Noah ships in it. I've got the Noah destroyer ingame and useable but need to work out how to get the larger ships convertable.
If you want to convert the Nexus models to something usable, then my model and texture converters might prove helpful. You can find them linked to in the Nexus Wiki under "file conversion". The model converter converts the LOD0 of a model to Wavefront .obj format, which should be compatible to most 3d modeling apps. The texture converter should be able to convert all textures in "textures\meshes" to .tga, which'll result in you having the color, normal, shine and specular maps the game uses (stored in two texture files and their alpha channels).

Quote from: Rga_Noris
Any progress on FreeSpace Evolutions? Would love to see some Orions in there...
They're coming, don't worry ;)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Why did you say that. I'll have to convert them to HW2 now, and I don't have time ! D:
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
I read Nexus looks so good because it uses massive amount of shaders, wonder if FS2O could do the same, the effects are really good and models are a little better than the ones in FS2O, or are exactly the same? they seemed more detailed to me or maybe is the gaseous environment of Nexus that spreads the light through out the gas and makes the environment more illuminated. FS2O graphics are great with .14 RC4 and the shaders released for .14 but IMO Nexus graphics look better, and I hope we can someday get that level of graphics without sacrificing much performance from CPU Cores/GPUs.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:45:17 pm by technopredator »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
TBH, I found Nexus comparable to the latest FS versions, especially turrets and ship models in general were of somewhat lower quality.
It did have nice shaders, FSO recently implemented a lot of new functionality for them, so it might be possible to reproduce them.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
I just checked the GTC Fenris and is a little different than the ones in Nexus Evolution and it looks great a lot better than the one in FS, I checked Colossus and with .14 and the .14 shaders looks great, well I guess is just a little more shading work and fog in the environment. I can't wait to play with shaders, AA and other GPU stuff to help shape up the shaders of tomorrow :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As far as I can tell, the only real differences are a slightly different post-processing setup (Nexus uses a very wide bloom filter, FSO's bloom shader is tuned to stick close to glowing surfaces and not spread things out too far), as well as billboarded anamorphic lensflares and a very good thruster trail effect. Oh, and shadows, of course.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
billboarded anamorphic lensflares
Would be possible to have this in FSO?
For the others:
Bloom shader could most likely be edited by somebody who knows how to do it, might be worth trying BTW.
Shadows are already implemented, though not finalized yet.
Thruster trail effects are a matter of getting a good effect maker, we can have effects of that quality, and some mods already do. Syrk comes to mind. Inferno also has such effects, but they haven't been showcased in their full glory. In general, Jesnec's and Nighteyes' trails.

In fact, I think it could be an interesting idea to make a Nexus mod for FS. I believe that with 3.7 builds (which are not too far away), it could look better than Nexus. :)

Except Nexus is extremely capital-oriented to the point that a fighter pilot has the life expectancy of a fruit fly once the flak lasers start firing.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Balance would have to be adjusted, of course. Flak lasers could be made avoidable in a number of ways.