Author Topic: RELEASE: Dusk Wars Act II  (Read 26999 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Re: RELEASE: Dusk Wars Act II
Bug report: "Fall of Rome 1" doesn't end after all enemies die. Only the 1st primary objective is acknowledged. Sorry to burst your bubble man  :(

If anyone else can confirm this because this mission should be working the way it should.

Sometimes events don't like to work the way you want them to...

...The mod will be pulled down and scavenged for errors and will be retested.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:25:28 pm by BTA »
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline CT27

Darn, I just downloaded it last night and now I see this.  :p

Offline CT27

If I may make a minor suggestion: 

Since it seems to be DWA2 people are having trouble with, maybe just re-release that instead of the whole package (DWA1 and DWA2) so people don't have as much to redownload?

Offline NeonShivan

If I may make a minor suggestion: 

Since it seems to be DWA2 people are having trouble with, maybe just re-release that instead of the whole package (DWA1 and DWA2) so people don't have as much to redownload?

Think I'll do that, a download link will be available soon.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline NeonShivan

Dusk Wars Act 1's Graphical Update has been added to the download link section in the main post.

Dusk Wars Act 2 should be available again at some point before Wednesday. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Need testers?

Offline NeonShivan

Need testers?

I can handle the bug fixing and testing myself but thank you for the offer :)

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

should the current build be deleted from our FS2 directories? or just overwrite?

Offline NeonShivan

should the current build be deleted from our FS2 directories? or just overwrite?

You can overwrite it if you wish, the only change between this DWA1 and the original is a slight change to the sound.tbl for a small little mistake was discovered.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline CT27

I downloaded your complete package (DWA1 and DWA2). 

I know DWA2 will be fixed so I shouldn't use that folder, but should I be able to keep the DWA1 folder and still get the upgraded DWA1 experience?

Offline NeonShivan

I know DWA2 will be fixed so I shouldn't use that folder, but should I be able to keep the DWA1 folder and still get the upgraded DWA1 experience?

DWA1 adds graphical improvements that is essential for DWA2 to run, it is recommended to get the DWA1 folder that is currently available for download.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline CT27

DWA1 adds graphical improvements that is essential for DWA2 to run, it is recommended to get the DWA1 folder that is currently available for download.

Just to be clear, this "revamped" folder that's currently in the OP is DWA1 and DWA2 will be re-released at some point (hopefully in the near future)?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I have crash in Fortune's Turn. Briefing, Team Loadout works fine. Game crashes when I launch the mission itself. Too bad, I really liked previous misions with cool, exotic music :P.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I'm really not sure why people keep giving Dusk Wars such positive reviews. For whatever reason I've been playing through this and while DWA1 is amazingly stable, DWA2 is incredibly crash prone. I've had at least 6 crashes, before I hit a mission where it finally just froze outright and can't be progressed past with persistence. I believe it's the mission after those Attis guys are all "yo **** this rebellion" and there's a bunch of destroyers and a Akrotiri close together.

Either way, I'm going to be collecting some debug logs for this later, but case in point:

DWA1 and DWA2 feature incredibly repetitive missions. While I like being able to get a ton of kills like everyone else, I got bored of the "go here, kill this" type stuff. In addition, while I'm not as pissy about music as some people are on this forum, DW doesn't know when to use the right music. If there's a cool track, DW will blast it until it loses it's oomph. I'm still amazed by how little feeling a great deal of the tracks used in BP have in DW. There is also amazingly bad balance - So many times have I ruined the tone of a mission by murdering everything with my copypasta'd ASW weapons? Overwhelming force? What overwhelming force?

In addition, the story is.... terrible. Who are we even fighting for? Why are these Not-Shivans just... lame Shivans, except they talk? What is with all the Halo and Homeworld references?

I mean, it's *hard* to make new races, but these Boringans or whatever they're called again are just Ancients from ASW except religious and with funny colors. The Anshari are just Shivans who sometimes backstab each oher and sometimes talk. There is so much here that could be done to make them feel *actually* alien, but it's mostly just lame stuff.

I'd write a better criticism, but right now I haven't been feeling too well, so that's going to wait until I can word things better.

Really man, the fact that you've made this all on your own indicates you can make something *amazing*, like Spoon did with WoD. But it's like you're not even trying.

Offline NeonShivan

Really man, the fact that you've made this all on your own indicates you can make something *amazing*, like Spoon did with WoD.

I appreciate the fact that you think I can measure up to someone like Spoon but lets be quite honest, I can't. I also appreciate your views on the mod and I do agree, I could have done better and I'll be honest, I'm not quite proud of it. But I refuse to let it just drop dead so I decided to finish it up as much as I can and release it.

What can be done now though, is improve on the mistakes I've made with DWA2 and make sure they aren't made again in future releases, and I'm glad you're being outright on the problems I've made in my storytelling and ability to project a certain, feel, per say for the races and I'll try better next time.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Meh, I deleted WoD from my HD after first launch of intro and I've never seen menu to be honest :P. Despite that I'm not saying that WoD is bad. Everything is depending on personal preferences, but I have to admit one thing. Universe of DW requires much more work. Not because it's bad, but it's just pretty simple for today's standards. All three races are pretty generic and there is nothing that makes them sophisticated or even "alien". In case of storyline of DW2, there is only thing that lacked so far - some twist of action during first part of campaign [to Attis rebelion]. Just random missions all the time without any deep storyline as a background. I would like to see some intrigues, secret plans and other "mysterious" things here.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lorric

Meh, I deleted WoD from my HD after first launch of intro and I've never seen menu to be honest :P.
Nooooooooooo... :shaking:

The description and opening movie make the game look silly and half-baked. And the ship models in the opening are far inferior to their models in the game. Anyone reading should not be fooled by these.
I knew that intro was dangerous... :(

I urge you to give Wings of Dawn a chance. The first mission is also a huge red herring in terms of fooling you into thinking it's not going to be that good, so at least play past that if you do.

Apologies to BTA for non-Dusk Wars related post.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Subspace fluctuations in my stomach caused by anime-themed music and stuff effectively prevents me from touching anything like this. I would rather leave productions like this to people who likes anime-themed mods. Also my project calls me :P.

Now let's get BTA his thread back.

Offline NeonShivan

lol to be quite honest I wouldn't care, a WoA discussion would of kept this thread busy, however I think the gods of this forum section, Turey and achtung or the mighty Zeus of HLP: The E would probably disapprove of such...

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline est1895

Is the Dusk Wars Act I listed on this thread that same as the 3/3/2013 thread? (Dusk Wars Act I Take 2?)