Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844025 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
So...you grew up with Inferno :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

hehe......He has. I bet you might jsut be looking forward to the day you're done!
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
id like a gargant screenshot
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
id like a gargant screenshot
Do an INF forum search for "Gargant" or the like.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Sweet. Id love to do a series of missions against one of those monsters. In adittion to sentry guns - if they are still being used by the shivans, - i the player and allies have to fight fight their way through a fleet defence fleet.

In addition you are then menaced by a near infinite number of fighters/gunships (Slightly rearmed transports and freighters) in addition to the Gargants weapons. These have to be avoided whilst the beam turrets are destoyed to allow your cap ships to make a series of stafing runs. KKind of like the Death Star run, but Freespace style.

Does the gargant have subsystems and weapons? if it doesn't it should. the monsyer needs teeth.

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm not sure, but...the Gargant doesn't have an engine subsystem.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
What is this gargent everyones talking about? some uber dreadnaught 10x bigger than the gigas? O_o

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sweet. Id love to do a series of missions against one of those monsters. In adittion to sentry guns - if they are still being used by the shivans, - i the player and allies have to fight fight their way through a fleet defence fleet.

In addition you are then menaced by a near infinite number of fighters/gunships (Slightly rearmed transports and freighters) in addition to the Gargants weapons. These have to be avoided whilst the beam turrets are destoyed to allow your cap ships to make a series of stafing runs. KKind of like the Death Star run, but Freespace style.

Does the gargant have subsystems and weapons? if it doesn't it should. the monsyer needs teeth.

Sentry guns are not used by Shivans, unless the change had been made but not made public. The Gargant is almost invulnerable to normal attacks. Any attempts to destroy it would naturally be scripted. The Gargant has no subsystems whatsoever. Cept for turrets.

What is this gargent everyones talking about? some uber dreadnaught 10x bigger than the gigas? O_o

It's 37.8km.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'd like to add that the SH Gargant is meant to be invincible, you can see some screenshots of a Gargant Vs. Icanus with the Icanus firing an USilv per second. The Gargant wins! :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
As a famous Sci-fi captain once said: "Any ship can be destroyed"
Like him, i "dont believe in the idea of an undefeatable enemy."

He managed to destroy ships on 2 occasions when it was said to be impossible to do so with his current ship.
He also has a habbit for using nukes to solve intense situations.

Care to guess who he is?

Anyway, it looks like ill be doing some extensive modding to the Garant. Id rather it be near invincible in that it would take a task-force several days to bring it down...than actually be invincible. Add a few subsystems. Give it few 100 billion hit points. Near invincible
 you know what im saying I mean, the Lucifers shields could in theory have been bought down during FS1.
Just the GTA and PVN weapons were so weak that it would have taken several months of constant bombardment by a combined fleet to bring them down. and in that time the Lucy would have killed them all anyway

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Well obviously the Gargant isn't truly invincible: it just has super-tough armor (As I recall, the strongest Terran weapon: the Punisher Cannon (aka "USilv") does something like 1% damage to it per shot).

I'd always imagined Woo and the rest of the Inferno team would write up a plot in which the Gargant was destroyed or otherwise neutralized... but perhaps not in direct ship-to-ship combat, if you know what I mean.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
There's a discussion about it, "How they might destroy the Gargant?".

And who said that the Gargant must be destroyed? Everything can end with the victory of the Shivans. It happens in many campaigns.

All I can say is that the Gargant would be widely used if released.
The Lightblue Ribbon

There's a discussion about it, "How they might destroy the Gargant?".

I thought that thread was locked?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That thread is old, what did you expect? Do you want to recreate it? Do you want to post theories and strategies? Well...do it :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
(As I recall, the strongest Terran weapon: the Punisher Cannon (aka "USilv") does something like 1% damage to it per shot).
It does .5% damage to it's turrets.

That thread is old, what did you expect? Do you want to recreate it? Do you want to post theories and strategies? Well...do it :P

Oh hell no! I wouldn't want to reopen that!

I was just curious as to your word choice: "discussion" implies that the discussion is still active and on-going, rather than a locked thread. :p

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I was just curious as to your word choice: "discussion" implies that the discussion is still active and on-going, rather than a locked thread. :p

The Italian word for "thread" is "discussione". Feel free to create a thread about the Gargant if you have new theories. In General FreeSpace you can find many threads about the same things :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I thought it did something like 0.17% damage to turrets... But my Inferno knowledge is failing me. :(

Give it few 100 billion hit points. Near invincible

100 billion is more than it has by default.

The Gargant is so powerful because of its armor table. The armor type assigned scales down normal firepower by something like 0.1. (So a weapon which does 1,000 damage does 100 damage, which is, needless to say, a lot.) Its own weapons cannot destroy it. :shaking:

you know what im saying I mean, the Lucifers shields could in theory have been bought down during FS1.
Just the GTA and PVN weapons were so weak that it would have taken several months of constant bombardment by a combined fleet to bring them down. and in that time the Lucy would have killed them all anyway

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and guess what? Wrong. The right answer: the Lucy's shields were invulnerable to all weaponry no matter how powerful they were. Or else the GTA and PVN would just have sortied all their Ursa and Amun bombers and pummeled the Lucy into oblivion.

Well obviously the Gargant isn't truly invincible: it just has super-tough armor

Apparently, if you destroy it, Woo makes the game trigger a supernova and uses never-warp on you. :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

I thought it did something like 0.17% damage to turrets... But my Inferno knowledge is failing me. :(
I believe that it was you who said that it did .5%.