Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844318 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You're strange.
A shockwave should propagate itself all around the destroyed warship.3rd shockwaves are simply not realistic,I'm calling them "Hula-Hoops of Death" rather than "Shockwaves".

<3rd shockwaves make the game go slower,while 2d ones are widely used by most games without slowing down the game>
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You're strange.
We all love 3d shockwaves except for you (and jr).
Why would a shockwave just 'decide' to be perpendicular to you. That's unrealistic. Granted, you shouldn't even be able to see much of the shockwaves, but it looks cool, and if you are going to have massive blue circles, must of all make them 3d, as they look cool.

<3d shockwaves may make the game go slower but so does 99% of all new effects>

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Ah, but hula hoops of death are used in Star Wars.

Like in the Death Star.
And Depth Charges in the Fett v. Kenobi space battle.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Those charges had the coolest explosion sound I think I've ever heard!  :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Why does each race have so many destroyers?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Those charges had the coolest explosion sound I think I've ever heard!  :D

Yeah it sounded awesome in the theatre... It was the delay that made it even better.  :nod:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Why does each race have so many destroyers?

Because [cliche]variety is the spice of life![/cliche] :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You're strange.
We all love 3d shockwaves except for you (and jr).
Why would a shockwave just 'decide' to be perpendicular to you. That's unrealistic.

In fact, the actual question is this:

Why, in real life that is, a shockwave in a vacuum would be planar?

The shockwaves from traditional explosions, detonated in atmosphere near ground look planar because they interact with the surface of the earth and the atmosphere, but in fact all shockwaves are spherical in origin.

And a sphere viewed from any direction looks round. So in a way, original :v: shockwaves are "more real" or perhaps I should say "less imaginary" than current "3d" shockwaves. In fact they are more 3d than current 3d shockwaves. But whatever.

Hula hoops of death are very pretty and traditional in space shockwaves, but they are definitely not justifiable by any kind of physics based on real life, which on the other hand doesn't really matter, especially in this case since very few things in FS universe are. In my opinion, current 3D shockwaves would give more realistic results if someone simply took the model system out of order and just replaced the old :v: texture with the cool blue animated texture. But I can't bother to do that really. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Granted, you shouldn't even be able to see much of the shockwaves, but it looks cool, and if you are going to have massive blue circles, must of all make them 3d, as they look cool.

Sometimes to make a game you have to completely ignore the laws of space. First, to make it get a good score for sound, you have to make sound travel through space. One rule already broken. Then you have to make combustion in space work. Another rule broken. Then obviously you've just gotta make some kind of super fast travel like Lightspeed, Hyperspace, Slipspace, Subspac, etc. That's probably got nothing for or against, but it's super unlikely there's a parallel dimension that is blue with a sun at the end with man-eating red and black aliens originating from it.

Most space games are very unrealistic, but it is that which makes them fun.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Space games are realistic to a point, which makes them fun. The storyline is actually realistic and feasible, maybe a bit further in the future than mentioned in the game though. Sound in space and combustion in space arent very glaring no-nos. If the physics were more realistic (i.e. not stopping when you cut your throttle), the game would be much more annoying and not fun to play. Shockwaves fall under this category. I strongly believe in the "hula hoops of death" as described by Mobius, as they are similar to the awesome EPII depth charge explosion effect.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Then you have to make combustion in space work. Another rule broken.
Not really.  For combustion you just need heat, fuel, and oxygen... and I'm sure you'd agree there's plenty of oxygen on board any craft carrying Terran or Vasudan ppl.  There's plenty of heat from the damaged reactor going supercritical.  And, there's fuel from the matierals & weapons onboard, plus the nuclear fuel used in the reactors... although I'm not sure how that would work as it would depend on the type of reactor used.  And, actually, I think just about anything will "explode" if you throw enough energy at it... the super-rapid expansion, or something like that, I'm not sure.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Are pictures only released on the frontpage?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Go back to page 23 to see Snail go on a picture-posting rampage. :lol:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ouch my bleeding eyes :snipe:

Cheers :) the zods look quite  :wtf: but i like new female command, shes kinda fit for a sequence of pcx files....... ;7
Like the ne/improved beams/lighting too :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I rendered them using Poser

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then you have to make combustion in space work. Another rule broken.
Not really.  For combustion you just need heat, fuel, and oxygen... and I'm sure you'd agree there's plenty of oxygen on board any craft carrying Terran or Vasudan ppl.  There's plenty of heat from the damaged reactor going supercritical.  And, there's fuel from the matierals & weapons onboard, plus the nuclear fuel used in the reactors... although I'm not sure how that would work as it would depend on the type of reactor used.  And, actually, I think just about anything will "explode" if you throw enough energy at it... the super-rapid expansion, or something like that, I'm not sure.

I'm nitpickin' now, but do Sentry Guns have oxygen in them? Even if they did, there wouldn't be a lot of it, so the explosion would be comparably small. Inferno explosions are probably more realistic in the way that they're simple spouts of atmosphere with a puff of combustion, but I don't think they're as good to cover up ships exploding since sometimes you can see a clear split from 'hull' and 'space' expanding from the middle (you know what I mean).

Ouch my bleeding eyes :snipe:

Cheers :) the zods look quite  :wtf: but i like new female command, shes kinda fit for a sequence of pcx files....... ;7
Like the ne/improved beams/lighting too :yes:

Yeah, I went a bit CRAZY there, I was ripping through the forums copying hundreds of URLs into a single post. The main reason for that was to kill slower computers (kind of backfired because I lost something I was working on :lol:).

The new female command is actually the CO of the GTCa Oracle, I believe, home ship of the pilot. And it's not a sequence of pcx files, those heads don't animate. Actually, Woo, do the heads have different expressions?  Like 'TC-1a' (or whatever) would be command in 'calm' mode talking about the beer last night, while TC-1b would be command saying 'oh damn incoming enemy fighters' and TC-1c would be command saying 'aww **** we lost the Beer Shipment!'. Because in the picture where the EAC Magister is incoming and the Oracle is telling Alpha 1 not to engage, the head is smiling indifferent to the situation.

And what Zods? New Zod .anis? *goes to check on his own post* :lol:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No they don't animate, that would be very difficult for me to do.

But having variations of one ani to represent moods is a brilliant idea! If I knew how to create ani's I would start that so fast...

Hey, something's been bothering me.
What in the hell is up with this Vasudan (I think) ship? Looks like it has boils or something...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
That's an Ancient ship not Vasudan.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's a tweaked Vasudan map form the Anuket (Vasudan Gas Miner).

Besides, it's Ancient obviously. It's firing a bloo beam. In fact it's the AD Minos.