Author Topic: Bobboau Birthday Build (Fun new features)  (Read 14989 times)

Bobboau Birthday Build (Fun new features)
WM: Is the mod tbl thing in CVS?

Also, the idea of SEXP controlled HUD items sounds very cool. Together with a is_realkey_pressed SEXP that actually gives the exact key, and not the remapped one, plus a SEXP to disable all controlls except for the key presses going to SEXPs, you would have a system to make a complete in-game UI for the most insane purposes.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Altimeters and new flashers (Ala Collision, Engine Wash etc.), but now that you mention it... :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If you could assign a variable to a gauge using sexps it would be great, but you'd probably have to define the gauge 'type' (Bar, Numeric, Circular?) in the table itself, or stick only to numeric gauges or something.

The Radar, I would have thought, would be a complete ***** to do anything with other than move unfortunately, though I hope I am wrong :)

Either way, awesome work! :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Goober, I thought about that, but then you have the problem of what happens if you place two gauges beside each other. When the resolution got to 1280, you'd have a pixel or two between the two elements.
And you have the same problem if you use percentages. :)

How about allowing people to specify specific points for whatever resolutions they're interested in, and the gauges would be re-scaled for the undefined resolutions?

Quoted from TBL by WMCoolmon
$Resolution: (640 480)

What if you just used this tag to see if it was pixel, percentage or somethign else? Each ship def can have a number of these thingy's in them, so you can define for every res you want, but you can also define for $Resolution: (1 1)  for a 0,1 system, or $Resolution (4 3) or $Resolution(100 100) or Resolution (1024 768).
When the game is running in a resolution not mentioned, it simply takes the first res it finds and reshapes it.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Well, my idea is to make HUDs for all individual ships (i.e. The Ursa looks different than an interceptor) so it'd be pretty cool if it would be as modular as possible. :)

Can you include a 'label' field that specifies the text being displayed with it? - You know, like "Hull Integrity" and stuff like that. Could be useful if you could modify that (for example for Vasudan HUDs) :nod:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I want Vasudan HUDs on all of my fighters. :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Originally posted by Lightspeed
Well, my idea is to make HUDs for all individual ships (i.e. The Ursa looks different than an interceptor) so it'd be pretty cool if it would be as modular as possible. :)

Can you include a 'label' field that specifies the text being displayed with it? - You know, like "Hull Integrity" and stuff like that. Could be useful if you could modify that (for example for Vasudan HUDs) :nod:

He? Just make another image with a different text, AFAIK.

Uhm, WM, can you put this code in CVS, or post the files you changed? I'd like to take a look at how this all works.

Also, are Bob's decal changes and stuff, plus the cloaking changes in CVS? If not, you two might have an intresting merge to do...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah I bet it's gona be "fun" mergeing my code base back in with CVS given the major changes that I have made with a number of low level functions
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by kasperl

He? Just make another image with a different text, AFAIK.

uh, NO?

The text is written there by the game. You just have a box. The GAME will write "Hull Integrity" over it.

What I want, basically, is that you could change that string to anything you like. For example to "Damage" OR (my original intention) you can change it to "", so the game will not display ANY text there, and you can instead include the 'text' in your image with vasudan font symbols ;)

oh yes, now I remember.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
kasperl: Yes, it is. :) If you want to add some hud gauges, just put them in the array in hud_gauges.cpp and increment MAX_COORD_TYPES. If you change anything else make sure you understand what's happening, it can be pretty confusing.

Lightspeed: I haven't implemented any HUDs you'd want to do that for, but I'll look into adjusting it. That might require some updates...
-C

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Very good.

In the future things like setting whether its a display or a gauge (i.e. number or thingy like the thruster energy) might be implemented - but I guess that takes quite some reworks.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
kasperl: Yes, it is. :) If you want to add some hud gauges, just put them in the array in hud_gauges.cpp and increment MAX_COORD_TYPES. If you change anything else make sure you understand what's happening, it can be pretty confusing.

So the only way to implement new stuff is by code? :( Is this going to remain, or will it become more mod friendly (ie. sexp control) in the future? I guarantee it'll get used - I can send you 8 separate new HUD elements than me and Vasudan Admiral thought up over a matter of about twenty minutes if you need to be convinced of that. Admittedly, some are highly specifc to some TI situations, but others are far more generally applicable, and if we have specific situations where new HUD elements would be useful, I'm sure other campaigns will too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 01:38:32 am by 302 »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline WMCoolmon

Currently no. I've tossed in some code to handle custom HUD gauges, not usable yet. But I'm keeping it in mind while working on this.
-C

Lightspeed: I haven't implemented any HUDs you'd want to do that for, but I'll look into adjusting it. That might require some updates...

Odd, I only have hudgauges.h , and not hudgauges.cpp. I did a checkout on CVS 2 minutes ago.

Offline WMCoolmon

I just updated stuff, so try again.

Custom HUD gauges:
Code: [Select]

;this should actually work.
#Custom Gauges
$Name: Steak_gauge
$Name: Yo_mama
$Name: Holy_hannah
#End
#Main Gauges
$Default: (640 480)
$Steak_gauge: (256 256)
+Text: Lumberjack
$Yo_mama: (128 128)
+Text: Yo mama
$Holy_hannah: (64 64)
+Image: attacker
#End

At the top of hud_gauges.tbl, all that's needed to add three custom gauges. Once you've added a custom gauge, it's appended to the main gauges (or mini-gauges, if a parent is specified) list.

$Name:
Name of the Custom HUD, also used as the name for variables

$Default640X:
Default X coordinates in 640x480

$Default640Y:
Y coordinates

$Default1024X:
1024x480 X coordinates; used if a nonstandard resolution is specified

$Default1024Y:
ditto, except Y coordinates

$Parent:
Name of the HUD gauge's parent. If this is specified, it is a mini-gauge

$Addparent:
If $Parent is specified, this specifies the HUD gauge to add coordinates on to. This is useful if you need something to be placed right next to another gauge.
Say you wanted a gauge to be exactly 6 pixels to the right of another gauge's coordinates; you would set addparent to that gauge's name, and set the Default X values to 6.

Once added Custom gauges function exactly like normal gauges, except they are static; nothing changes about them. For use on future gauges - all images for an individual gauge should be in an ANI, like Volition's are. Switching image files mid-game is a bad idea.

For now, static images are supported, animations (and ANIs) are not.

My thoughts on SEXPs are that a set-hud-frame and set-hud-text and set-hud-coords could be implemented.
Set-hud-text would take the HUD variable name and the string for the gauge to display.
Set-hud-frame would take the HUD variable name and the frame nubmer in the ANI.
Set-hud-coords would take the var name, and the X coord, and the Y coord.

As of now, there is a limit total of 32 custom gauges.

linkie

Edit: Not sure if I mentioned this, but this is the specification form for ships:
Code: [Select]

$Ship: GTF Myrmidon
$Resolution: (640 480)
$Gauge: Shield Mini
$Text Base: (310 298)
$Default: (640 480)
$Gauge: Shield Mini
$Text Base: (310 298)
$Ship: ...

Edit 2: BTW, with a set-hud-coords and some creative SEXPing you could build a radar :p.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 04:16:31 am by 374 »
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Set-hud-text would take the HUD variable name and the string for the gauge to display.

Assuming you'll be able to implement non static stuff in here (ie. a sexp controlled returner like distance, time or get-position-y), then you've just made my day. :D
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Does the last build there have decals & envmapping?

If not, get together with Bob so we can have all this in one build :)