Author Topic: general turret stuff build  (Read 16145 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
general turret stuff build
I did some refinement on a lot of the turret and submodel related code I've been doing the last few days, and fixing bugs, this is the most up to date executable,
it has:

the off axis rotation code.

the 'look at' code.

it has a new detail box variant called detail sphere (just like the box but a sphere, syntax: "$detail_sphere:1,100" were the 100 is the distance from the object and 1 or -1 determines if it will draw in or out of the sphere).

"check hull" subsystem flag for turrets, they won't fire through the hull of there own ship to hit something on the other side.

and I fixed a visually annoying bug I call turret jinking, were the turret just teleports from one position to another almost instantly, now they move quite a bit smoother. or they should at least.

I also reworked some internal stuf related to getting from one set of coordanants to another that assumed they there would be no grandchildren in the model hierarchy. wich might allow turrets to work when attached to a rotating subobject.

it'd be nice if some of you people could give that a nice workout,
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: general turret stuff build
"check hull" subsystem flag for turrets, they won't fire through the hull of there own ship to hit something on the other side.

You are a god! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

Hurray, I waited so long for that. Now I can finally protect the flank of our ships with point defense turrets. Thanks :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Check hull, eh?

I'm not sure if I'm right, but the beam turrets are pretty funky on the Cain and Lilith-class cruisers. Do those work correctly? :nervous:

I'm not bashing the build or anything, I'm just wondering if the awkward (though not from the front) beams on the Shivan cruisers work with check hull. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hense why it's a subsystem flag and not just globaly implemented.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Is this based off latest CVS or 3.6.9?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's based off of what I got when I checked out a fresh copy of the source a few weeks ago, I haven't gotten around to messing with the branches yet, so I'm not sure which one it defaults to.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
It defaults to HEAD, so it's not using the 3.6.9 code base.

Offline starfox

That's awesome Bob, Thank you...
 :yes:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
hense why it's a subsystem flag and not just globaly implemented.

Where does the flag go, subobject properties or table entry ? Can you post an example entry?

Also, thanks muchly :)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
table, it's just like every other subsystem flag.
$Subsystem:                     turret01,1,1.0
   $Default PBanks:        ( "Mekhu HL-7" )
   $Flags: ("check hull")
beneath the weapons (the awacs thing goes before it but it's rarely used so this is more of a technicality)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Ok I think i've got a grasp of side mounted turrets, but could you explain how to use the look at (thats the recoil right?) 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, it's not recoil, it makes subobject A look at subobject B
you go to object A's properties and you type $look_at:#object B's number here#
and it needs an axis of rotation defined like a rotating subobject would have.

you can then optionally define what the axes are with the ole off axis rotation stuff.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Oh that.... i remember reading about that... the hydrolic pump...

I do remember seeing something about what looks like recoil.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there are ways to fake that, but I wouldn't bother doing that right now.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Maybe it wasn't you... but I remember seeing an avi of it working..

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
iirc, you can do recoil with the animation code.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just had a cool yet completely pointless use for the subsystem-look-at feature.  One could assemble a fully functional (in terms of moving parts) piston engine... minus real fuel of course.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

The fuel part might be faked with shockwaves, and a stream of heavy bombs being guided in by the fuel injector.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
try this baby out. probibly gonna put this (or turrets like theese) on the rumrunner.

it would probibly binifit from the $y_fov property if it would just work. bob, clue me in on its usage.

i decided il probibly use you hydraulic pistons feature on the vulture, they will be used to jack the wings in for landing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN