Author Topic: 2008-03-21 Trunk build  (Read 14069 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
2008-03-21 Trunk build
"Trunk" is what we call "the stable branch" in SVN. :) And here it is.  Taylor checked in a bunch of new changes and fixes over the past few days, and WMC added his camera code and several scripting improvements, so see what you think.
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/20080321-Goober5000.7z

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: 2008-03-21 Trunk build
Yay! Direct link ftw, cheers :)
*DLS to try out.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I see the alternate subsystem names code made it here too
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
This build, like Taylor's Xt0314 build, breaks the TVWP.

Specifically, it breaks the ammo gauge.  The weapon is present, but has no ammunition.  This is not a pilot file bu because switching back to the 0306 Xt build or any previous build fixes the problem without switching pilots.

Furthermore, it may be related to handling of tables.  In the third mission of the TVWP demo you can select the weapons your shrike is armed with.  If you drag the M-72s off the Shrike and then try to drag them back, a message flashes up saying the shrike cannot handle M-72 weaponry.  However, previous builds do not have this problem.  This would seem to illustrate a recently added bug in the way weapons tables are handled, specifically with weapons which contain ammunition.

It is most obvious in the TVWP but the nature of the bug suggest this is not mod-specific but encompasses table-handling itself.  As this is the second public test build with the bug present, I would say you've now got it in SVN.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

Mantis it?
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I see the alternate subsystem names code made it here too

Is that what I think it is? It can be used to mark Railgun turrets(that are considered normal "laser turrets")! :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Is that what I think it is? It can be used to mark Railgun turrets(that are considered normal "laser turrets")! :D
Yeah.. that's it. Goes before the subsystem armor entry (if it has any).

Example... GTFr Triton...
Code: [Select]
$Name:                  GTFR Triton
   +nocreate
$Subsystem:             turret01,1,1.0
   $Alt Subsystem Name: Flak Turret
   $Default PBanks:        ( "Standard Flak" )
$Subsystem:             turret02,1,1.0
   $Alt Subsystem Name: Subach Turret
   $Default PBanks:        ( "Subach HL-7" )
$Subsystem:             communications,         10,     0.0
   $Alt Subsystem Name: Subspace Comms
$Subsystem:             navigation,          5,      0.0
   $Alt Subsystem Name: Astrogation

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I notice this build handles the F3 viewer slightly differently, in earlier builds the viewer turns itself off when I exit it, in this build, the last selected ship is still shown even after exiting and re-entering the viewer. Also there's no normal mapping but that doesn't matter since this isn't an official release.

One question about the $Alt Subsystem Name: Apart from tables, can the names be set in FRED (or by manually editing the file with a text editor at the very least)? Considering that weapons can be changed in FRED...

:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
From what i discussed with karajorma there should be a SEXP for doing the trick as well.

Specifically, it breaks the ammo gauge.  The weapon is present, but has no ammunition.  This is not a pilot file bu because switching back to the 0306 Xt build or any previous build fixes the problem without switching pilots.
Just making sure... are you 100 % sure there is nothing wrong in your tables?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:26:52 pm by Wanderer »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
:yes:

Railguns will work fine with modifications to the table entry, but a SEXP would be formidable.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
At least sexps.html tells it is in there.... Change -> Subsystems and Cargo -> change-subsystem-name

Quote from: sexps.html
change-subsystem-name
    change-subsystem-name
    Changes the name of the specified subsystem on the specified ship
    Takes 3 or more arguments
    1: Name(s) of ship(s)
    2: New name for the subsystem (names larger than the maximum display size will be truncated
    3: Name(s) of subsystem(s) to rename

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
:yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Do you really think I'd add a feature and not add a SEXP if one was possible? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Do you really think I'd add a feature and not add a SEXP if one was possible? :D

Uhhhhh... o_O
*aa51 gets all :nervous:

:lol:

Anyway, seems like this build still doesn't fix an extremely minor sound issue that's been bugging me for a while now, but rather than get on the coders' nerves, I'll play around with file names and other builds, find a simple solution or something.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Just making sure... are you 100 % sure there is nothing wrong in your tables?

Yes.  It's the TVWP pack straight from the demo download.  And it works fine in ALL builds from march 6th and earlier.  The error is due to something that's been committed between March 6th and now.

Try it yourself.  The bug affects all of the first three missions (and I have no idea if it affects the ones beyond that, though I'd imagine it does).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The previous builds may or may not have caught on to the fact that there was an error in the tables and now it is.

Just because it never previously showed up does not mean it previously was not an issue. Remember the 3.6.8Z Alpha Patches? Everything _seemed_ to render fine until it got fixed, necessitating the mvp Alpha patches.

About it not being a pilot problem, you mention switching a build back without changing the pilot and the problem goes away, but did you create a new pilot to test with?

(Downloading TVWP now)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The previous builds may or may not have caught on to the fact that there was an error in the tables and now it is.

Just because it never previously showed up does not mean it previously was not an issue. Remember the 3.6.8Z Alpha Patches? Everything _seemed_ to render fine until it got fixed, necessitating the mvp Alpha patches.

About it not being a pilot problem, you mention switching a build back without changing the pilot and the problem goes away, but did you create a new pilot to test with?

(Downloading TVWP now)

A completely new pilot file experiences this problem in the new build.  A completely new pilot does not experience this problem in any build prior to 0306.  Pilots used in both sets of builds experience the problem in the new build, but not in the older ones.

It's not a pilot file compatibility/corruption issue.

The weapons.tbl and ships.tbl files for TVWP match up appropriately as well for weapons compatibility.  I have no idea why a new build should suddenly cause the game to fail to recognize the compatibility of a particular weapon with a particular ship, but it does.

For ease of testing, use mission 3 of the demo because it has the ship and weapons selection tabs in the briefing enabled.  You'll see the error if you drag the M-72 off the shrike and then attempt to drag it back.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I can confirm both MP-Ryan troubles. As he says, TVWP "A Calm Sea" mission is perfect for testing.

I haven't tested this build, (I'm too used to Taylor's Xt normal mapping builds), but I can narrow down the problem to something between Xt0313 and Xt0314. So depending on when Taylor synchronized his own code tree, the trouble comes from some post in March 12th, 13th or 14th.

@MP-Ryan: Again, mantis it?  ;)

EDIT: --------
This trouble is maybe solved BUT TWICE.

+I've just installed TortoiseSVN
+I've downloaded the code following Kara's explanation.
+Just to play a little with TortoiseSVN, I've done "Show Log" and I get the attached screenshot
+As you can see the last two posts from Taylor and WMC seem to be for the very same issue...

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:43:37 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
This trouble is maybe solved BUT TWICE.

+I've just installed TortoiseSVN
+I've downloaded the code following Kara's explanation.
+Just to play a little with TortoiseSVN, I've done "Show Log" and I get the attached screenshot
+As you can see the last two posts from Taylor and WMC seems to be for the very same issue...
We fixed two different bugs actually.  My commit was for the ballistic weapon problem and WMC's was for bad handling of wing numbers for destroyed/departed ships. :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
@MP-Ryan: Again, mantis it?  ;)

Taylor has generally said not to Mantis Xt build bugs - I wasn't sure if the same when for these recent builds or not.