Author Topic: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon  (Read 23712 times)

Offline crizza

Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Would like to play it, but my 360 is RoD and so I only got my PC^^

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Is DFM a requirement? If it is, I dont think Im picking the game up.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

It kind of does. It's practically 50/50, and absolutely required for the last 2 missions.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I loved Ace Combat 6 and became a huge fan of the series through that... but this I think is going to be a purchase for later when the price drops.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

It kind of does. It's practically 50/50, and absolutely required for the last 2 missions.

Im skipping this one then, it's sounding too much like Ace Combat: CoD On Rails.

I might get it when it hits the bargain bin a whike from now.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm of the opinion that DFM requires at least some skill. Especially when I started on the hardest difficulty available; now I'm playing on Ace. If you stay in for too long another enemy can come in and pop your ass.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Im skipping this one then, it's sounding too much like Ace Combat: CoD On Rails.

Ugh, dude, you clearly have no idea how DFM works (the demo is **** about demonstrating it)

I mean I'm not getting it until the price drops anyway, but DFM is not the reason

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Ugh, dude, you clearly have no idea how DFM works (the demo is **** about demonstrating it)

I mean I'm not getting it until the price drops anyway, but DFM is not the reason

So DFM/ASM isn't a scripted sequence where you get cinematic action, QTEs, and on rail style shooting? I'm asking seriously, not rhetorically.

If thats not the case, I might reconsider. Otherwise, it sounds like it would get old pretty quick.

I'm even seeing some of the more purcasable "every major release gets at least 7/10" reviewers giving this game below 5/10, saying it guts most old AC elements for boring Sky CoD action.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So DFM/ASM isn't a scripted sequence where you get cinematic action, QTEs, and on rail style shooting? I'm asking seriously, not rhetorically.

Correct, it's a mode you can enter and leave, and while there are some scripted DFM things it's mostly a gameplay element -- I believe it can be upgraded, there are DFM counters, counter-counters, enemies can DFM on you.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
HAWX also has a weird gameplay mode...

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Correct, it's a mode you can enter and leave, and while there are some scripted DFM things it's mostly a gameplay element -- I believe it can be upgraded, there are DFM counters, counter-counters, enemies can DFM on you.

So could I go through an entire mission, on the vast majority of missions, without using DFM/ASM? They truly don't sound, nor look, all that fun to me.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

So could I go through an entire mission, on the vast majority of missions, without using DFM/ASM? They truly don't sound, nor look, all that fun to me.

No probably not, you'd likely be using it routinely.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

That's not to say that it doesn't get old very soon. While it's 'on rails' you still control about 75% of the movement of your aircraft, while the other 25% is either scripted or following the AI. If you don't actually try to keep the plane in your sights he will get away from you.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

If thats not the case, I might reconsider. Otherwise, it sounds like it would get old pretty quick.

I'm even seeing some of the more purcasable "every major release gets at least 7/10" reviewers giving this game below 5/10, saying it guts most old AC elements for boring Sky CoD action.
I played the demo again to get a better feel for DFM. I realized you can switch to realistic controls where the sticks on my PS3 actually function the way I expect it. Suddenly I'm in control of the aircraft instead of it feeling like it's on rails. I'll still probably wait until the price drops a bit.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Okay so. You all think the DFM is pointless? Play this thing on Ace and pray you get enough time to take down your target before you get jumped by 3 bandits. And that's just the second level. I was on 'critical damage' pretty much the entire level.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Gave this a try elsewhere since I don't have a 360. I have no idea what difficulty I was playing at, but the first level I got to play, I couldn't even hit anything playing "the old way".

Flight physics has changed enough from virtually any previous game, CoD health isn't something nice, it's vital, and then there's DFM: try and take down a TGT_LEAD without going into said semi-scripted DFM is virtually impossible. Even the balalaika carries over 100 MSSL for a reason, everything is so hard to hit now and the gun is still so crappy if you're not an extremely skilled gunner!

So there I was, trying to get a feel for the game while being constantly nagged at to "do X and not do Y", I lose focus because take-off is apparently automatic... blah blah blah I get SAAM lock on a leader, he does a rapid turn and dodges it even though I kept him in the targeting cone, wait a minute, the cone feels so small, so small... blah blah blah, etc; anger-spamming the normal MSSL is the same as wasting ammo, I can't stand some controls which felt as though they were overlapping with each other and causing me to waste flares...

I get missile alerts from out of nowhere, I have no idea where the missiles are coming from, no flares, the enemy forces me into a DFM "partially locking" my movements without a clue whatsoever except for the barely visible green and red arrows... afterwards I get into a DFM only to get kicked out 0.1 seconds later because of ???maybe something wrong that I did kicked me out???...

End result, I think I wasted 25 - 35 minutes for something that should've taken 5 minutes at the most.

While I get the impression that they tried their best to make the DFM system work as harmoniusly as possible with the gameplay, it still feels forced to me. And I don't even want to talk about the helicopter camera and controls, or even the 'copter gameplay for that matter.

The demo is just not the same as the actual game, and I didn't even get to play the demo.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Okay so. You all think the DFM is pointless? Play this thing on Ace and pray you get enough time to take down your target before you get jumped by 3 bandits. And that's just the second level. I was on 'critical damage' pretty much the entire level.
So you're saying the DFM offsets the difficulty? Why the hell not make it easier and get rid of the need for DFM entirely?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
...that's totally not what I said. :wtf:

Gave this a try elsewhere since I don't have a 360. I have no idea what difficulty I was playing at, but the first level I got to play, I couldn't even hit anything playing "the old way".

Flight physics has changed enough from virtually any previous game, CoD health isn't something nice, it's vital, and then there's DFM: try and take down a TGT_LEAD without going into said semi-scripted DFM is virtually impossible. Even the balalaika carries over 100 MSSL for a reason, everything is so hard to hit now and the gun is still so crappy if you're not an extremely skilled gunner!

So there I was, trying to get a feel for the game while being constantly nagged at to "do X and not do Y", I lose focus because take-off is apparently automatic... blah blah blah I get SAAM lock on a leader, he does a rapid turn and dodges it even though I kept him in the targeting cone, wait a minute, the cone feels so small, so small... blah blah blah, etc; anger-spamming the normal MSSL is the same as wasting ammo, I can't stand some controls which felt as though they were overlapping with each other and causing me to waste flares...

I get missile alerts from out of nowhere, I have no idea where the missiles are coming from, no flares, the enemy forces me into a DFM "partially locking" my movements without a clue whatsoever except for the barely visible green and red arrows... afterwards I get into a DFM only to get kicked out 0.1 seconds later because of ???maybe something wrong that I did kicked me out???...

End result, I think I wasted 25 - 35 minutes for something that should've taken 5 minutes at the most.

While I get the impression that they tried their best to make the DFM system work as harmoniusly as possible with the gameplay, it still feels forced to me. And I don't even want to talk about the helicopter camera and controls, or even the 'copter gameplay for that matter.

The demo is just not the same as the actual game, and I didn't even get to play the demo.

The higher the difficulty the slower it regenerates. Ace doesn't even regenerate at all.

I never saw any change in the flight physics. Feels the same as AC6 to me. And I've taken out a TGT_LEAD without DFM, you just have to do it from a distance. And pay attention to the damn tutorial. The closer you are to the target in DFM the more damage the MG does. It's not even that hard to hit someone with it.

Takeoff is not automatic (outside of one sequence, IIRC). SAAMs are not QAAMs. You don't need flares anyway.

The red and green arrows are clearly visible. You're blind. Missile alerts come from the enemies in range? Getting out of a DFM an enemy has on you is so easy it's retarded. Make sure you are actually BEHIND the bandit before you go into DFM.

And the demo is exactly like the actual game.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Well... you made it sound like it was required just to play the game without dieing...