Author Topic: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread  (Read 120069 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread
Crashes whenever I try to open a pof.

that's new...

[edit]
and i cannot replicate it

I can't get it to open a thing. Retail models, my own models, BtRL models... nothing.

It just closes when I select the file and hit "Open"
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
It works fine for me.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net

I can't get it to open a thing. Retail models, my own models, BtRL models... nothing.

It just closes when I select the file and hit "Open"

sys info?

[edit]
i just noticed i forgot to disable the "COB Loader Not Implemented, piss off" message (that's not what it really says :D)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:28:31 am by Kazan »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: It would be great if it did though ;)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Wow....

Ok, I've now tested it on a lot of the pofs I have, and as you can see, ^ some work quite well. :D (Incidentally, one such working model was an experiment that was converted to pof directly from blender's cob export. ;) )

With the ships that don't load, I'm noticing two distinct types of failure.
It loads most media-VP ships perfectly, with the notable exceptions I spotted being mainly terran fighters and bombers. The failure the fighters and bombers experience - both retail and mediaVP, is that PCS2 will lock up and have to be terminated.
My wild guess would be something to do with insignia maybe?

The second type of failure occurs rarely - with ships like the mediaVP orion and hecate. In these cases, PCS2 will hang for a second before exiting completely. (No errors) Haven't the foggiest as to what could cause these.

=====

It's looking very promising with the ones that do load up properly though. :D
That ship in the screenie above is comprised of 63 000 polys. It works in game, but neither PCS1 nor modelview were able to load it up properly (PCS with the viewer on just crashed, and a special build of modview I made for it leaked memory like a sieve and still didn't display it properly.)

PCS2 loads it in seconds and renders it with no performance drain that I can see.  :yes:

I've not tested the cob import properly yet, mainly because all my conversions have been via .SCNs and I don't have any complex convertable cobs lying around.

Oh, and a couple of other little things I'll bring up here before I forget:
1) The controls - would it be possible to rig it so that right-click will zoom, and shift+left-click will pan? It just feels more natural and more in keeping with most other 3d viewer proggies. :)

2) (sorta related to 1) I can see you've implemented a rotation system that allows you to rotate through all 3 axes - that's awesome, but in practice I've found that having the rotation controls split over two buttons is really difficult to use effectively. :\
Perhaps the best thing would be a toggle button between a 3 axes system and the 2 axes system that the left click currently controls. Basically have the 3rd axis controlled in the same way it is in the ship lab. I would describe it, but....I can't really figure out what the input for the third axis is in there. It just works nicely. :s

3) Really-little-thing-1; might it be possible to have an isometric/perspective view toggle? That'd be quite helpful for positioning stuff.

4) Really-little-thing-2; PCS2 seems to load up the models in completely random orientations every time, and loads them up as wireframe despite what the display buttons up the top say. Not sure if the first one's a bug, but I figure I'll point them both out just in case.

Anyways, awesome work. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
give me the exact names of models that cause the hard-lock
give me the exact names of models that cause the momentary lockup

.scn/.cob loading code is the same, i just need to make PCS2 recognize .scn as a .cob - doing that now

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
here is a build where you can actually open .COB/.SCN

http://www.ferrium.org/media/pcs2-alpha-20070325b.zip

just be warned.. i will be SHOCKED if cob loading works right - it is still untested

[edit]

run for your lives! it's kazan in a suit! http://derekmeek.com/Pictures/Kaz-Suit-20070325.jpg
(this moment of levity brought to you by Kazan-prepairing-to-put-his-money-where-his-mouth-is)

just need to get my hair cut now...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:39:42 pm by Kazan »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well so far it loaded all nukemod pofs and actually uncovered a geometry bug on one of my models (by showing missing lines) that i was having problems with. it did have some trouble showing small models such as small rockets, mines, ect. and vwep gatling guns (probably cause the parent object didn't have any geometry).

now that last build you put up that supposedly could convert scn didn't have a scn option in the load model dialog box. assuming that was a minor oversight, i manually entered the filename and hit open. at this point i got a happy little read error. il assume for the moment that it cant handle scns and try some cob files instead.

are dds textures supported yet? that would be a really useful feature to have you know :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:22:54 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
DDS should be covered, and i'll add .scn to the box

Code
tex_ctrl.cpp:107
Code: [Select]
char *extensions[] = { ".pcx", ".dds", ".jpg", ".png", ".tga", ".gif", ".bmp" };

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
"application failed to start cause incorrect configuration"

Same here :(
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
for those of you it won't run for - get msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll and  msvcr80.dll from the net and put them in the same folder, tell me if that fixes it

if it does, i need to murder some MSCV8

Sweet it runs really fast and smooth.

Btw are textured model currently operational? You mentioned DDS, how's the folder setup for textures suppose to be, in the same folder as the model?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
it tells me i have to reinstall becauseits not configured properly. im running windozes XP.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
for those of you it won't run for - get msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll and  msvcr80.dll from the net and put them in the same folder, tell me if that fixes it

if it does, i need to murder some MSCV8

Done, but still no joy.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
OPs I deleted it and used the newest -b build and it opens.

OPens new pof's for me no problem (untextured so it's lookign in the defualt vp right? Not the folder the pof is in)

no joy with custom .cobs yet.

gonna try a higher poly pof in a few..

[EDIT]: The max size models I usually use is around 8k and so far I opened every Gundam pof I made no problems.

Three observations though:  1 - The status bar does not indiacate progress yet? It does have text status clues next to it.

2 - When I want to open a new pof I just do as the NEW option does not seem to clear the old session...

3 - You type too damn fast! :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:45:09 pm by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
fsck file wouldn't attach

here are the DLLs http://www.ferrium.org/media/stupid_mscv8_dlls.zip - put them in the same folder as PCS2

- PS the search path for textures is as follows

there is a list of directories in the Options->Preferences menu (default entry of c:\games\freespace2)

Search order is

VPs in the folders in that list
raw files in those folders + "\data\maps"

ie if your list is

c:\games\freespace2\
c:\games\the babylon project\
c:\games\wing commander saga\

it'll look for VPS in
c:\games\freespace2\
c:\games\the babylon project\
c:\games\wing commander saga\

and raw files in
c:\games\freespace2\data\maps\
c:\games\the babylon project\data\maps\
c:\games\wing commander saga\data\maps\

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Hey Nuke so far I tried to open a few NM pof's like the asgard and Jotun and they were invisible, not even wireframe was possible.

Only the Rumrunner had any textures at all (cause all the rest are dds)

I did add a few custom ships to your mod like aldo's EOS with PCX textures and they did not show up. (I have it configured right)

C:\games\freespace2\Nukemod\data\maps

l8tr!

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
C:\games\freespace2\Nukemod\data\maps

that is an incorrect configuration

the correct configuration would be

C:\games\freespace2\Nukemod\

Ahhh DUH *Slap forehead*

I saw texture paths and automatically thought it was for game paths, like modelview.

Nope textures still won't show. BTW theres a small bug with the rendering options, it selects the textured one while showing the wireframe model.  Could this be the cause of the texture problem?

Fixed, btw you might want to allow to put enter the exact location of the textures (or at least do a recursive search).   For example, while I'm working on a model, I stuff everything absolutely necessary for it into a folder "modeldata", "modeldata\maps", "modeldata\model"...etc when I'm done i just do a simple vpmage and vola.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:24:04 pm by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
apparently it does search the direct path as well - just doublechecked my code