Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 7711 times)

Hi everyone,

I'll admit it's been a long time since I've played Freespace (and really Freespace 2). It seems like it's been one in a long list of space flight sim games that started with Wing Commander on my 386 back in the day (with real VGA graphics!). From X-wing and Wing Commander to Freelancer and the X-series and Freespace, these games have always drawn me in.

I'm sure it's old news but I thought I would mention "Star Citizen", because it is beautiful and just getting started.  The game is still in Alpha, but it is very playable as an alpha (occasional clipping issues aside), and it's constantly updating.  This week they are doing a "play for free" thing which I thought I would advertise since... you know... free. But I've also included my discount code - if you like what you see and buy the game my code gives you a bit of starting cash as an extra bonus (and full disclosure it gets me some recruitment points which gives me pointless chotskies).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now

If you decide you want to buy in (and get some of the early adopter benefits), if you use the referral code: STAR-KVZY-HZTQ you get a free $5.00 worth of in-game credit.

If you'd like to check out some of the art, gameplay, advertisements (or you are a fan of Top Gear), check out the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpsjUHj_II

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We already have several threads dedicated to SC and its various antics; the most active one is here. Be warned though, there is currently a lot of skepticism surrounding the project around these parts.

(For example, saying that a project that started in 2012 "is just getting started" 2 years after its first projected release date is ... questionable, to say the least)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I think you are a loving stupid shill if your first post on a forum contains a referral link and is basically just advertisment for your cult dream game.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
P.S.
Star citizen is a .jpeg buying scam
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm sure it's old news but I thought I would mention "Star Citizen", because it is beautiful and just getting started.  The game is still in Alpha, but it is very playable as an alpha
117 million dollar
4 years in alpha
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Let me just watch the great man himself play the game and have him restore all of my faith in this wonderful product.

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I like to think of this gif as the development of duke nukem forever

But it goes so wonderfully with the development of star citizen too.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Axem

You don't need to inflate your post count like CIG inflates its product. It sets a bad example for everyone.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I know a good chant to make citizenshills run away: Derek Smart

Urutorahappī!!

Offline MikeRoz

I would be careful. Posts that aren't super-critical of Star Citizen can end up mocked, screenshotted, and posted to Something Awful. Given their rather liberal view on doxxing and online intimidation tactics, things could end badly for you.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I made $300 buying and reselling .jpgs and that money provided me with plenty of enjoyment, which is more than I can say for any other game! So Star Citizen is the best in my book. Very engaging and realistic economy.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
>One of the most complex games ever envisioned
>hurr durr why is it not complete and bug free after 3.5 years of development durrr

As I said before, end of 2017 is really the earliest you can truly judge the game. Compare with MA Andromeda which is in development since 2012 and release date is in 2017.

Anyway, next big patch is 2.7 which should come around the end of the year and have a procedural planet you can land on.

pls post this to SA forums to laugh at, too. It would be an honor to be so grossly displayed over there
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:37:28 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And as we've pointed out multiple times, if it's going to take that long, and they knew it was going to take that long, why did they lie so many times about the release date?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And why does Chris Roberts think that it is good form to throw his developers under a bus in a public demo? Why is CIG always scrambling to adjust their Terms of Service in response to the goons when (according to CIG) everything is fine? Why does CIG spend time and money setting up sales for ships that do not have clearly defined gameplay roles? Why are they still accepting funding, when according to their own statements they have (proportionally) more money available than any other game on the planet?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

And as we've pointed out multiple times, if it's going to take that long, and they knew it was going to take that long, why did they lie so many times about the release date?

This is a new one for me: I don't recall an actual Release Date(tm) for the whole full thing. I do recall release dates for smaller things, and those smaller things are released now.

I don't follow Star Citizen's development simply because the whole thing is just one big drama spin right now (see also, spoon's post in this thread), so please excuse my ignorance, but, well... Lying about release dates? You sure it's not just yet another glorious overestimation as these things always are?

Offline Luis Dias

Nope, they lied. Everyone "lies" about release dates (i.e., they are always more optimistic than reality), but this is beyond that level by now. This was supposedly to be released by late 2014. Not "smaller things", but the game. The game. The game.

MA Andromeda never asked money 6 years in advance from fans.
MA Andromeda never promised a late 2014 release date.
MA Andromeda never did the ridiculous amount of marketing that SC did. Actually, they barely did any marketing at all (what, 3, 4 short youtube clips?).
MA Andromeda will likely actually be released by the promised date or, if not, 6 months later (like ME3).
MA Andromeda will likely be a good game.

Last, if not least, if you really want to play Star Citizen, I fully recommend playing this version of it: