Author Topic: Nemesis?  (Read 32265 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Almost all of the missions in INFR1 were complete and utter filler. The storyline could have progressed just fine without most of them.

Perhaps, but they were fun to play the first time. Once that's fulfilled, I don't really care anymore.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
If you want a good back story, significant character development, and interesting storyline progression, then go play Blue Planet.

We aim to allow the player to see some shiny ships, pilot one of them, and blow the rest up with all the graphical nuts and bolts the engine can offer.  Huzzah for beamrape.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If you want a good back story, significant character development, and interesting storyline progression, then go play Blue Planet.

We aim to allow the player to see some shiny ships, pilot one of them, and blow the rest up with all the graphical nuts and bolts the engine can offer.  Huzzah for beamrape.

That's the original intent of INFR1, wasn't it? I like mods like these.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

this actually sounds awesome  :yes: :yes: :yes:

this is what inferno is about!

infr1's problem was just some crappy missions. inferno should be about clean, fun, exciting missions with lots of cool stuff. this is the best thing i have heard from the inferno team in years, because like V said, heterodoxy is good; we shouldn't all be trying to do the same things.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent

Damn right. No other mod delivers raves like Inferno, and no other mission delivers raves like Nemesis.

By the looks of it, INFSCP will deliver raves in HD, which can only be better.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah! Kick logic to the curb and steamroll people with BIGGER SHIPS with SUPERIOR FIREPOWER WHOOOOOOO!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
2) the mission where i had to defend that carrier from the bazillion swarm bombs

I recall that. I believe I passed it because at that particular moment INF builds were bugging out like mad and the carrier wasn't a solid object for fighters and primary fire.

Strangely, everyone mentions a "ohgodGTVARapidLaser/MorningStar" mission for the Sol gate that I honestly barely remember at all. It wasn't terribly difficult, I know that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
I don't get it. Is this the mission where you have to disable/destroy a few EA destroyers, then the Nemesis shows up and attacks the Independence, Independence almost wins when the GTVA and EA suddenly sign an alliance?

That mission I explained was the best INF1 Mission I played. It was really rather fun, even though it was challenging.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Yeah but most of INFR1 didn't do that. Most of it was repetitive and tedious dogfighting against annoying fighters and suicide runs against annoying capital ships. Especially the missions against the Shivans, those were horrid. And by plot progression I mean something that actually makes you feel as if you're making some difference at all. Most of the missions didn't even feel like they were part of a larger conflict at all, just isolated... Incidents... In which you kill things.

That's my problem with INFR1. Nemesis was really the only mission in INFR1 that gave me the feeling of a) making a difference to the war and b) kicking some serious ****ing ass. The rest of the campaign was unmemorable. The funny thing is Nemesis more than made up for the rest of the campaign IMO. :P

Strangely, everyone mentions a "ohgodGTVARapidLaser/MorningStar" mission for the Sol gate that I honestly barely remember at all. It wasn't terribly difficult, I know that.
Actually it wasn't the Sol Gate at all it was some random Arcas class installation.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh god the random Arcas, which will actually kill the Independence if you don't bite the bullet and fly into the rapidlaser hell... :/
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah that's what I'm thinking of

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I had no trouble with that mission. Passed it the first time around. You just had to destroy the Sensors (or was it weapons?) then kill some fighters, IIRC.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I always started off by taking out the main beams with Stiletto-IIIs, then went for the objective subsystem targets.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh god the random Arcas, which will actually kill the Independence if you don't bite the bullet and fly into the rapidlaser hell... :/

That was the easiest mission in the campaign.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
it was also the most annoying

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
There's two heavy beam cannons that shoot at the Independence, neither of which have much in the way of rapidlasers. Take them out and you have all the time in the world for the two subsystems, and only one of them has tough defences. Order your wingmen to destroy them and their stilleto spam will get through the rapidlaser screens.

Actually I'm surprised at the criticism, the Arcas was explicitly designed to have significantly better defences than the Arcadia.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

I lost the Independence on that mission once, and I was playing on Very Easy.

Actually I'm surprised at the criticism, the Arcas was explicitly designed to have significantly better defences than the Arcadia.

Well, it has a bunch of kinetic weapons, which are not only annoying but can also hit me hard enough to make me move in reverse despite opening full throttle...
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sure but easiest doesn't mean most enjoyable. It was tedious, annoying and pointless.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm not so sure about the pointless bit. Wasn't the capture of that installation necessary for the Alliance to begin blowing a load of grey stuff uppushing towards Sol?
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm not so sure about the pointless bit. Wasn't the capture of that installation necessary for the Alliance to begin blowing a load of grey stuff uppushing towards Sol?
Yeah but the fact that it was barely referenced at all in the following series of missions and that the next few missions continued on as if it never happened didn't really make me feel anything like a sense of accomplishment.