Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134673 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Guys it's fine. jr2 insists that the White House has this outbreak under control. The administration has done nothing wrong. It's probably part of the plan the the US has the highest number of confirmed cases anywhere in the world. It's definitely not a problem that the virus has been confirmed in every single state and territory or that the number of confirmed cases is actually going to keep speeding up based on the graphs.

It's going to take me possibly my whole lifetime to understand how a cult of personality can take an otherwise logical, intelligent human being like jr2 and convince him that one man can do no wrong.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

And lmao @ anyone who believes an economic downturn is going to do more harm than three million dead Americans

We're running out of ways to continue further concentrating wealth in the hands of the already-wealthy, so we're down to just killing the poors letting the poors die.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
And lmao @ anyone who believes an economic downturn is going to do more harm than three million dead Americans

Exactly.

Trump and his MAGAts don't appear to understand that the current choices are:
1.  Maintaining mitigation measures, keeping as many people alive as possible and preventing healthcare collapse, but enduring an accompanying economic collapse, OR
2.  Letting a lot of people die and having an even worse economic collapse.

There is no way to staving of a major economic collapse.  That ship has sailed.  The question now is how many people do you allow to die or get sick and make that even worse.

On a separate note, I spent yesterday cackling at the notion that Trump wants to put troops on the CDN-USA border to prevent people crossing into the US.  Dude, NO SANE PERSON (who is not part of the essential supply chain movement that has been allowed to continue) is contemplating going into the United States right now across the northern border.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Since I posted the link to the statistics site about two hours ago, the number of confirmed cases in the US has risen by 6000.

Thisisfine.gif

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

yup, fine (source)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
For those who didn't notice, the graph The E posted has a log scale on the Y-axis.  While China and Italy trended off the exponential path, the US is very much still in trouble.

We should all aspire to be South Korea or Japan.  Japan is remarkable - they have a huge upside-down demographic pyramid, and yet their case and mortality rates are incredibly low.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
What I actually see in jr2's posts isn't blind faith in some Trump deity, but simply countering some overexaggerated points of criticism (if not outright false but I'm not keen on going into details). Yeah sure, Trump and his administration are Bad, but does that anyhow facilitate assigning every single Bad thing that happens to him?

Just as I'd like to throw compost at the image of current Polish ruling party, because I believe they continued ruthlessly destroying our country's economy, voter awareness, social rules and standards, and the minds of the youth for the partisan benefit in power and wealth - from where their predecessors left, I must admit that within all of the **** that they poured out for the nation to bear, there were some... Not as negative as expected effects, and there were at least a couple positive laws passed. Doesn't matter if that's unexpected results of oppressive laws or actual moments of good faith towards the people.

@Batutta: Depends who is these 3 millions. I wonder if this event is going to remind to people the actual reason for respecting and helping the elderly to stay in our society comfortably for as long as possible. Not pity or morality, the actual pragmatic reason.

For all my hopes that it doesn't get to such ridiculous numbers, I think that may be the last drop that would get the US society to grab the pitchforks and rip apart their corrupt government and the self-servient, monopolistic enterprises... figuratively rip apart, that is.

@BlueFlames: This is one of the slogans that I can't actually comprehend in any way. Just look at it. If the Poor would not be Poor if not for the evil Rich that are stealing their fruits of labor...  Then there's absolutely no reason for the Rich to kill these Poor let these Poor die. Because when Poor are allowed to die, the Rich are losing income.

Okay, you might say. But when the Poor become elderly or ill, they need to have money invested into them in the form of medical services to bring their wealth output back to normal levels, which might be even totally impossible anyway, right? So there's preventitive medicine. The Rich would want to not lose income because of the Poor becoming inefficient too early and to not have to invest wealth into them to get them back up to good output levels, and we all know that you need to use prevention because it's much cheaper and less troublesome than healing people later on. So actual medical prevention is more profitable for the Rich...

Then also count in the fact that less overworked and scared of losing income people seem to have actual better efficiency in creating wealth that can be stolen by the Rich, as Microsoft proved in Japan by shortening the work day to 6 hours and profiting from it, IIRC.

So where's the "Rich want Poor dead" theme?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Japan is remarkable - they have a huge upside-down demographic pyramid, and yet their case and mortality rates are incredibly low.

Japan is not testing at *nearly* the same rate as South Korea. Or, err, at all.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
@Batutta: Depends who is these 3 millions.

Hmmmmm

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
For those who didn't notice, the graph The E posted has a log scale on the Y-axis.  While China and Italy trended off the exponential path, the US is very much still in trouble.

This explains why the Singapore government is still putting in control measures - they must have seen a graph similar to this and know that the country is still heading straight into a storm.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
@BlueFlames: This is one of the slogans that I can't actually comprehend in any way. Just look at it. If the Poor would not be Poor if not for the evil Rich that are stealing their fruits of labor...  Then there's absolutely no reason for the Rich to kill these Poor let these Poor die. Because when Poor are allowed to die, the Rich are losing income.

Okay, you might say. But when the Poor become elderly or ill, they need to have money invested into them in the form of medical services to bring their wealth output back to normal levels, which might be even totally impossible anyway, right? So there's preventative medicine. The Rich would want to not lose income because of the Poor becoming inefficient too early and to not have to invest wealth into them to get them back up to good output levels, and we all know that you need to use prevention because it's much cheaper and less troublesome than healing people later on. So actual medical prevention is more profitable for the Rich...

Then also count in the fact that less overworked and scared of losing income people seem to have actual better efficiency in creating wealth that can be stolen by the Rich, as Microsoft proved in Japan by shortening the work day to 6 hours and profiting from it, IIRC.

So where's the "Rich want Poor dead" theme?

It's cuz a lot of the rich people in the US of A don't understand economics, And straight-up don't know or believe any of that "commie stuff" you just said.

There is nothing American capitalism wants more then Instant gratification, It doesn't want to make money, it wants to Feel like it's making money, it thinks that less poor = more money for rich, it thinks that literal pyramid scams are "Multi level Markets", it increases housing costs without increasing wages; it does not "play ruthlessly to win it all"- it is an angry toddler who screams until it gets corporate tax cuts, ice cream, and a pony.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:41:37 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We are beating China. We are winning. We have the most cases, huge cases. Beautiful hospital wards, packed wall to wall. The doctors are doing a great job.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
When people talk about "prioritizing the economy":

Offline Mpez

We are beating China. We are winning. We have the most cases, huge cases. Beautiful hospital wards, packed wall to wall. The doctors are doing a great job.

I think memes are the only thing keeping me sane right now. The most messed up thing with this whole situation is that children hospitals are banning/planning to ban all visits in my country. Which means that if my baby girl got infected and was hospitalized, I wouldn't be able to see her. That gives me nightmares.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Trump:

"This— whatever they want to call it. You can call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus. You can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is."

This is the man at the head of the United States government and key decision maker in the pandemic response.  He has more ability to get instant, accurate, and meaningful information than literally any other person on planet Earth.

For anyone who shares Trump's confusion, COVID-19 is the syndrome caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, which is related to the SARS-CoV-1 coronavirus that caused the SARS outbreak 17 years ago.  You can literally Google this.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Informative video on logarithmic scale as it relates to trends in covid-19 data.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This at least made me smile a bit.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_26/the-real-death-toll-for-covid-19-is-at-least-4-times-the-official-numbers-b5af0edc-6eeb-11ea-925b-a0c3cdbe1130.shtml

Couldn't the difference also be explained as people who died of other causes because the health service was stretched dealing with Covid-19?

Sure, but as the article points out, there were quite a lot of deaths that were not tested for COVID before or after people died; As the article points out, the number of deaths seen there is in line with the assumption that about 1% of all people infected will die.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns