Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578047 times)

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
I tried making a tree farm but ended up making a small spaceous forest as those branches were hitting other trees while I planned to put another tree in between them. Kinda annoying but it's also good having ubertrees.

Perhaps you could 'make' your own tree by using tree blocks and leaf blocks, if that doesnt automagically turn it back into a tree, that is..

Trees per se don't exist. A tree is just a collection of blocks, placed that way by a script in the game. Once a tree is grown, it never changes on it's own, only an enderman or the player can change it's form.

A tree farm is used to grow trees in massive quantities to harvest their wood, and because the harvested trees drop saplings it's a renewable resource; constructing his own tree from scratch won't do that.

The major benefit of tree farms is if you stick a Log into the furnace, it turns into charcoal, which is functionally identical to coal. Tree farms give a ridiculous amount of wood, meaning you have essentially unlimited charcoal. You never have to dig any coal again, and you can afford to have massive banks of furnaces for super fast smelting. If you want go check out the one at my place, and feel free to harvest all the trees you want (since as you guys know, if it doesn't get harvested, I burn the whole thing down for the lulz)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:39:26 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
There's an SQL database that's been running since midnight storing all block changes, should be easy to repair griefing from now on.

EDIT:
looking over database, bloody hell you people play a lot.
Code: [Select]
playername time
qazwsxal 00:02:20
Orcinus_JW 00:04:56
THE_TrashMan 00:42:35
Saratje      02:19:12
PD_Top_Gun 02:44:35

Actually learning SQL, the only TNT detonation that has so far occured was earlier today caused by Sara. It was located at (50,36,-306) and caused the detonation of 21 other TNT blocks, destroying 1404 blocks in total, consiting of 1123 cobblestone, 212 dirt and a smattering of others.
using hawkeye or?

i need to calc the time people've been on mine.
Nah, that's just using logblock, it's ludicrous the amount of data it stores on people.
hawkeye isnt all that different :p

so, wait, logblock auto-records the amount of time people are online, as well as times when they logged in and logged out for example? kinda redundant, since you can calc the online time with just the join an quit times for example :p

i myself need to play some with the sql as well :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
There's an SQL database that's been running since midnight storing all block changes, should be easy to repair griefing from now on.

EDIT:
playername time

Actually learning SQL, the only TNT detonation that has so far occured was earlier today caused by Sara. It was located at (50,36,-306) and caused the detonation of 21 other TNT blocks, destroying 1404 blocks in total, consiting of 1123 cobblestone, 212 dirt and a smattering of others.
using hawkeye or?

Nah, that's just using logblock, it's ludicrous the amount of data it stores on people.

so, wait, logblock auto-records the amount of time people are online, as well as times when they logged in and logged out for example? kinda redundant, since you can calc the online time with just the join an quit times for example :p

I've set it to record first login, last login, time online, blocks placed, blocks destroyed, chests entered, items added to chest, items removed from chest, signs made, what's written on the signs and PvP kills.

It does it all on a per-player basis, so I can revert changes based on player and/or area within a timeframe. It's rediculously powerful as an admin tool. I could tell you who the last person to place a cobblestone block was, or how many coal blocks have been destroyed by explosions within the last 3 hours. It's really quite cool and I should probably look into getting a stats webpage set up.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

EDIT:
playername time

using hawkeye or?

I've set it to record first login, last login, time online, blocks placed, blocks destroyed, chests entered, items added to chest, items removed from chest, signs made, what's written on the signs and PvP kills.

It does it all on a per-player basis, so I can revert changes based on player and/or area within a timeframe. It's rediculously powerful as an admin tool. I could tell you who the last person to place a cobblestone block was, or how many coal blocks have been destroyed by explosions within the last 3 hours. It's really quite cool and I should probably look into getting a stats webpage set up.
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/hawkeye/

i know :p

(rollback through log is awesomesauce :D)

Server's been down for two hours now, my poor addiction goes unsatiated :( Save us Qaz!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline -Sara-

Did some testing with what lags the server most. It seems to be entity-acting blocks such as sand, gravel etc. Blocks which fall down. If I remove a lot of sand (which I did to make the stronghold for 1.0) the server lags up and if I don't stop dies, reboots itself and comes back up. Maybe someone with more understanding on servers can connect the dots why things such as falling sand do this?
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Did some testing with what lags the server most. It seems to be entity-acting blocks such as sand, gravel etc. Blocks which fall down. If I remove a lot of sand (which I did to make the stronghold for 1.0) the server lags up and if I don't stop dies, reboots itself and comes back up. Maybe someone with more understanding on servers can connect the dots why things such as falling sand do this?
That's pretty interesting and weird, it won't stop your progress on the stronghold any though, right? :<

I'll also poke qaz about this
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
it might be RAM. last i remember, you folks had only 512 megs total in any case, right?

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
That's pretty interesting and weird, it won't stop your progress on the stronghold any though, right? :<

I'll also poke qaz about this
Consider me poked.
Just as a clarification, the server doesn't actually reboot by itself. As far as I can tell, this is what's happening:

A little background knowledge first, minecraft and the minecraft server both save loaded chunks once every two seconds if they've changed at all. As far as I know, this includes redstone state and lever/button state, anything which alters block data. This would usually be okay (a bit too often IMO, but whatever) but minecraft is programmed that the save function, physics and rendering all occur in the same thread. This is particularly noticeable in single player on heavily fragmented disks or disks with low I/O as the game pauses while chunks are saved to disk and is commonly known as "the lag spike of death". Multiple mods exist which seperate the chunk saving into a seperate thread, one of the most prominent being optimine/optifine. What I believe is happening is due to the large amounts of physics that occurs, the write is put off for a fraction of a second, causing more block data to have changed. This leads to a longer write cycle and more block data sent to the client, giving the player a longer period of time in which to mine more physics based blocks, leading to an even longer write cycle... Ad infinitum, or until the combined latencey caused by lots of physics calculations and writes to disk leads to the server taking so long to respond to network requests that the client believe the server to have died and kicks you from the game. While the player is offline, all chunks surrounding the player are unloaded from memory once the physics has finished and saved a final time before the server is able to respond again, this usually happens quicker than if connected because the server no longer has to send block updates to the client. (Another thought here, number of block updates really shouldn't affect write time, should it? I mean, the file is compressed, so most of the latency should come from the compression/decompression, not the actual writing of blocks, no matter how many blocks in a 32x32 chunk space are edited, it still has to decompress and compress an entire MCregion)
The same thing happened before 1.6 (not sure, fire nerf update) when you set fire to large forests. I was looking at a plugin that reduced how often the game saves to the hard drive among other things but by default it likes putting a lot of chunks in vram (somthing which the server literally has none of) and so it crashed the server repeatedly quite fantasticaly with out of memory errors. I'll try re-enabling it and disabling chunk caching.

EDIT:
it might be RAM. last i remember, you folks had only 512 megs total in any case, right?
we've got 1GB of RAM now :D

it also could be the physics cause large RAM usage and the garbage collection working overtime, but I rarely see spikes in ram usage.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:55:46 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline rhx123

Just to let you know, I made the railway al the way from the north output to Grims House double sided (2 lines).
Ill carry on when I have a bit more time.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Just to let you know, I made the railway al the way from the north output to Grims House double sided (2 lines).

Hey, just wanted to let you know I appreciate it.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
holy **** the ancient ones are returning

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What I believe is happening is due to the large amounts of physics that occurs, the write is put off for a fraction of a second, causing more block data to have changed. This leads to a longer write cycle and more block data sent to the client, giving the player a longer period of time in which to mine more physics based blocks, leading to an even longer write cycle... Ad infinitum, or until the combined latencey caused by lots of physics calculations and writes to disk leads to the server taking so long to respond to network requests that the client believe the server to have died and kicks you from the game.

I was looking at a plugin that reduced how often the game saves to the hard drive among other things but by default it likes putting a lot of chunks in vram (somthing which the server literally has none of) and so it crashed the server repeatedly quite fantasticaly with out of memory errors. I'll try re-enabling it and disabling chunk caching.

This sounds very much like what is happening to me; my packets arrive at the server just fine, but the server's responses get lost/delayed until I just get kicked off.

I'd be very interested in testing any plugins for you that would affect this; just say the word and I'm there. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Only 1GB?
"No"

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Only 1GB?

Its a VPS, which also means a much better net speed. Take what you can get and all that.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken