Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269891 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Look at all of you getting mad about video games when what they're doing at the moment is what the game most desperately needs; patches that are not overly ambitious solutions to problems that may not exist.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Look at all of you getting mad about video games when what they're doing at the moment is what the game most desperately needs; patches that are not overly ambitious solutions to problems that may not exist.

Frankly, what killed the game for me wasn't the problems plaguing the actual game itself. Given the game's background one could take those in stride and hope they're eventually fixed.

No.

What utterly made me disgusted with the whole affair is the way they've been outright lying to us, and treated their community as a the embarrassing red headed step child instead customers. I could go on and on, but why, when others have already put these arguments forward and more coherently than I could in this post?

http://loadeddicecast.blogspot.hu/2013/08/what-happened-to-mechwarrior-online.html
http://themittani.com/features/mwo-failure-communicate
http://www.gamefront.com/mechwarrior-online-forum-ragesplosion/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:17:39 pm by Flaser »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
What utterly made me disgusted

Was the fact you haven't realized I linked the Mittens article to this thread.

A Feddie Story

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
So they've started to roll out community warfare now...

*ducks*
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

I'll believe it when I see it in-game.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Ironically I still play this game and I still find it actually really enjoyable, despite massive mismanagement.

You drop and it's still a really MechWarrior-y game, at least as far as you can see in most public matches.

A Feddie Story

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I do as well.  It's still fun to do a wall of Death on your enemies with 4 Atlai and a Victor, crush their flank with extreme prejudice.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Yeah, if there's no CW in-game, I won't bother playing, sorry Esarai, NGTM-1R.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Al-Rik

And what's the big thing with Community Warfare ?
It's still the same maps, the same gamemodes and the same mechs.
I don't care about how much virtual territory my house controls.
Many causal players don't even bother to change their alliance for lone wolf to something else.

That's needed is the possibility to rent a private server for a hour or so and the possibility to play on this server a war with an other unit.
That's needed is the possibility to show you units crest on your mech.

Generally the game need some improvements like:
A Gui to set up way points and attack/defence orders without switching to the battlegrid
A working VOIP for your lance

And what's the big thing with Community Warfare ?
It's still the same maps, the same gamemodes and the same mechs.
I don't care about how much virtual territory my house controls.
Many causal players don't even bother to change their alliance for lone wolf to something else.

I tend to agree, but what people seem to be all angry about is that Community Warfare is something that the devs promised a long time ago, which has gone unimplemented. People feel they've been lied to. At least, from what I can tell.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

That, and the fact that if Community Warfare is actually more than just grinding up your faction on the exact same maps over and over, the game might actually be fun.

EDIT: Removing their crazy mechanics like ghost heat and Gauss charge, giving all weapons some sort of inaccuracy based on their TT range bracket values so ERPPC/Gauss alphas to the CT at max range aren't going to happen, adding heat penalties to mech systems as your mech heats up, and buffing heat dissipation so you don't need 14 DHS just to cool down 2 LB-10-X autocannons, 2 medium lasers, and an LRM-5 would be a massive step forward.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:46:31 pm by SpardaSon21 »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline crizza

Hm...this game isn't on Steam...
So my question: Is it for free or do I have to pay for it?

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
You don't have to pay for it.

But they really want you to.

Offline crizza

So it's the same like most of the other free to play games.
Spending money on it will make it easier for you to play, while those who don't spend money call you a premium sucker and so on.
Thanks, I'll give it a spin.
Edit: Great, registert on mwomercs.com, downloaded the launcher and the stuff and now the patch data is corrupt o.O
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:18:19 am by crizza »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The only thing you need to invest real money into is if you want additional mech bays, pretty much everything else can be paid for via in game currency earned via playing.  The only other things to consider is that a few of the default settings specifically 3rd person, arm lock and throttle decay probably should be changed immediately.  The last item is the cadet bonus, there is a limited time income bonus for new players and it's worth cashing in while you can to afford and outfit your first mech.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline crizza

So...it works...playing first person and just doing the Trail Mechs...
I have no clue what kind of class I want to play, which weapons and so on.
In my first match I played a medium in support of other mechs...
Strange things are about to happen.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
My biggest issue with the game when I did play was that I didn't know which Mech class I prefered even after trying them out for months. The Trial Mechs didn't give me a feel for what I wanted.

Offline crizza

After reading a beginners guide I went for a Hunchback, with five Light Laser, two SRM and double heat sinks. Guess after I buy a 250 engine I'll switch to four medium laser...

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Just be warned that when you find a build that works, a week later it will be nerfed and something else will be OP.

Because, you know, randomly changing the stats on stuff is game development.

Offline crizza

Once the hunchback has the 250 engine, DHS I will upgrade it to a point were I can try out different loadouts.
Right now the bigger problems are those light mechs swarming me to death....