Author Topic: The problems with multiplayer  (Read 12494 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: The problems with multiplayer
Another issue would be that FS2NetD's DNS seems to have disappeared.  If I set it in my hosts file the site loads fine but otherwise it's not resolving for anyone now.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

FS2NetD seems dead since few days. It's permanent shutdown or it's just temporary issue?
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline m!m

FS2NetD seems dead since few days. It's permanent shutdown or it's just temporary issue?
Another issue would be that FS2NetD's DNS seems to have disappeared.  If I set it in my hosts file the site loads fine but otherwise it's not resolving for anyone now.

That means that the FS2NetD server is still running but for some reason the domain name is not resolved correctly which means that if you use the IP address instead of the domain name you should be able to reach the server. However, without DNS it's pretty hard to actually get the IP address :nervous:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm.... FS2NetD was hosted at Game Warden? So maybe the A record was lost in their migration from vBulletin to SMF, but at least the game-warden.com domain still works. So could maybe be simply solved with a PM to MatthewPapa? Assuming someone here knows what the hosted-server IP is?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline MatthewPapa

• http://www.game-warden.com
Yes, looks like I forgot the A record. I apologize! We are currently in the process of migrating stuff to a new server.
Just fixed it. Hopefully it will begin resolving as of right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Done hesitate to let me know if there is any other disruption.

Well, it does solve the issues with NAT.
I suppose, although that should become a moot point with UPnP, shouldn't it?

Adding UPnP support probably wouldn't fix all NAT problems because some routers don't support it or it is disabled for security reasons. For those cases an alternative solution would be needed which could be done my using the ICE protocol family. Using STUN would solve a lot of problems where a client needs to determine its external address. If required, TURN could be used if the client hosting the game was unable to determine its external address. I have considered implementing it in my Node.js reimplementation of fs2netd but I current don't have the time to work on that.

I'm pretty sure that's how mumble does it.  Or maybe it was a mumble plugin.  Either way, probably the best direction to go besides switching to client/server model.  Personally my vote would be for client/server, but I realize the difficulty in that sort of change.

Although...just thinking out loud here.
  • Modify FSO to run headless
  • Merge WebUI Standalone
  • Add current (average?) latency to server in the client calculation for the aiming pip and/or autoaim.
  • I don't know what else would be required to make this work.  Probably a lot.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Webui standalone is already merged and runs headless (or at least in a terminal).  Had to fix some issues with that after the sdl merge but it'll be working the same as in 3.7.4 soon enough.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays