Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena  (Read 16579 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
So you're angry because the Wing Commander website posted about... the new Wing Commander game? That's kind of strange.

Didn't EA start the site years ago? This bitterness here seems extreme. I lurk at their forums, and don't find that appealing at all... but the page itself has always been very professional.  They've been doing that kind of "Xbox" update for years -- here's one about playing Ghost Recon from last April: http://wcnews.com/news/update/7038

I don't think it's so much that they're advertising (because, really, Has Microsoft been paying Chris Reid a percentage on every XBox 360 they sell?) as it is that they're trying some community building in the absence of new Wing Commander games.

It's scrabbling in the dust to resurrect a dead brand.....

....but if you reversed the positions and made it 'FS Arena', I have no doubt it'd be more or less the same sort of situation here. :)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I doubt it. We'd ride it just as much as we're riding arena - when DS tried to revive FS, we all went nuts - I don't see how EA's any different.

Offline Sphynx

I think they are prehaps just trying to generate excitement for Arena, and since there is only so much to say about arena so far, they might naturally talk about related issues (such as the X-box itself or the Arcade) to "keep up the momentum," so to speak.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I doubt it. We'd ride it just as much as we're riding arena - when DS tried to revive FS, we all went nuts - I don't see how EA's any different.

That's why I said 'more or less'.  Sure, the hard-core peeps such as you or I might moan, but ultimately we'd have to face up that the only hope of a true sequel would be for, ummm, our hypothetical FS:Arena to suceed.  From what I understand the WC admins are rather zealous with regards to a dissenting opinion, so we'd see less dissent crushed, but I think ultimately the optimistic 'maybe it'll lead to a proper game' viewpoint would settle in.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Didn't EA start the site years ago?

Nope, it's a fansite through and through.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
That's why I said 'more or less'.  Sure, the hard-core peeps such as you or I might moan, but ultimately we'd have to face up that the only hope of a true sequel would be for, ummm, our hypothetical FS:Arena to suceed.  From what I understand the WC admins are rather zealous with regards to a dissenting opinion, so we'd see less dissent crushed, but I think ultimately the optimistic 'maybe it'll lead to a proper game' viewpoint would settle in.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they current 'correct' opinion in the CIC is that WCA _IS_ a proper game.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they current 'correct' opinion in the CIC is that WCA _IS_ a proper game.

Ok, then they would be nuts if they think a throwaway arcade game is anything beyond a tidy cash-earning spinoff.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hence the 5 page thread. don't believe me go over there and ask them yourself,
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together