Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374682 times)

Offline Sololop

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
I think I just "Lost" at KSP. I started a new career mode, and in about 5 rocket launches, now don't have enough funds to build anything else. I got the kerbal home each time, just overspent I guess on parts? I have enough money for a command pod, and that's it. Also, I don't have any contracts. Rep is about 250, but I don't know when it will give me one or how those are supposed to work. Guess I have to start over?

EDIT: Found the extra building that was added. Completely missed that! Thank goodness.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:56:55 pm by Sololop »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
last i looked i had > 8 million funds.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
11 million and rising.

eve mission proceeding well. i stranded 3 kerbals on the surface, entirely on purpose of course, i gave them a lab on wheels and even an aircraft to play with. il make not to send a rescue ship eventually.

while i was in the area i parked the mother ship in orbit of gilly. sent down a lander, not that its needed, you can land with a jetpack. of course the lander pretty much have one just because it has science instruments on it. you dont so much land as float on down really slow. moving between the mother ship and the surface is really fun. since my mother ship pretty much has 2 hitch hiker modules and a 3 man capsule, i can load it up with more than enough surface samples to kill off the last couple things on the science tree. this also required 3 trips back and fourth with bob and jeb taking turns. you pretty much just point your ship where you want to land and hit your thrusters, doing a 180 and burn before hitting the surface. when you want to go back home do the same thing, its just a much smaller target to hit.

now im debating whether or not i have enough fuel to go to moho and make it back to kerbin. seems every time i decide to go to moho after visiting eve, i end up getting stranded on the way back. ship has one each biggest and second biggest tank in the game (33% full), and 4 nervas. it is rather heavy with crew quarters for 11, even though i only brought 5 kerbals. it has a light lander < 1t (including fuel), i landed it at vall, so it can land on moho just fine. i was going to smash it into gilly, but if i go to moho il need to keep it to store the samples, since i filled all my storage space with surface samples and instrument readings from gilly. im pretty sure i have more than enough deltav to get to moho, though the plane change is expensive. assuming i have enough to get back to kerbin (probibly gravity assisting at eve) i can aerocapture there.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Screens nao!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
why, this is mundane **** for me now.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It's not mundane for us lowly non professionals.  :)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Sololop

It's not mundane for us lowly non professionals.  :)

I agree. I'd like to see this vessel of yours :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i didnt hit my f1 key while i was doing the cool stuff, but i did take some pictures later on.

here i am at gilly after droping off the eve science package. the rover was hanging on the large docking port between the 4 nervas. the plane connected to the port on the pod. that was a weird docking operation, with the angle of the port and the fact that the plane has no rcs. i had to dock the big thing to the little thing. the lander was attached to one of the side ports. i had to move fuel around and stuff to keep the ship flying straight. the lander is only 1t when you take the fuel out.

flying in eve's atmosphere is a little weird, oddly the science lab on wheels moves faster

thats a fun little plane though, horrible yaw control, but you can just roll in and pull up (several gs though).

i did make it to moho, but i did require some additional fuel. the fuel ship was a cobbled together thing, a single nerva, a single orange tank, 4 drop tanks (the one half the size of the orange one) which were all used up before the rendezvous, and little else. the ship was so ugly i didnt hit f1 on it. the orange tank was 3/4 full when it got there, enough to make orbit and land the lander. i thought about just taking the fuel ship and lander to moho, but i didnt really feel like another solar orbit rendezvous. i still dont have enough fuel to make it back. but i did complete the science tree.

yesterday i started installing mods, since the gameplay was getting dull. however 64 bit means half of the mods just dont work. mechjeb did work and i was able to measure the ship's deltav at around 11000m/s.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:37:49 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Dammit.  I have a fairly-basic high-flying plane design that cruises around 20 klicks or so, and today I decided to find out if I could circumnavigate Kerbin with it.  Surprise surprise, it actually had enough gas to do so (and cheerfully burned from atmospheric friction all the way)!  But when I drop to idle and start descending for my approach back at KSC, the thing starts to pitch up crazily, and then winds up in a flat spin.  I managed to get it under control once by throttling up, but I wasn't so lucky the next time.  There's a good hour's worth of in-game time wasted.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
9 times out of 10 the way to get a plane out of an uncontrollable situation is to put it into a dive and wait for the thick atmosphere to right you. the 10th time you smash into the ground.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Trust me, I did try that at some point in there, but the damn thing didn't want to stay pointed in one direction long enough to let gravity do its thing.  Which is weird, because it's perfectly stable in normal powered flight.

Trust me, I did try that at some point in there, but the damn thing didn't want to stay pointed in one direction long enough to let gravity do its thing.  Which is weird, because it's perfectly stable in normal powered flight.

Mine were having the very same problem. Are your engines (at least 3) located on the far rear of your plane? I believe that as a plane burns its jet fuel, the engines become overly heavy for the plane. I looked at modern jet liners, and moved the engines forward, closer to the center of gravity (most fuel too).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Does anyone look at the center of mass/inertia indicators?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Mine were having the very same problem. Are your engines (at least 3) located on the far rear of your plane? I believe that as a plane burns its jet fuel, the engines become overly heavy for the plane. I looked at modern jet liners, and moved the engines forward, closer to the center of gravity (most fuel too).
Hmm...yeah, that might do it.  I thought disabling two of my forward tanks until the rear ones emptied out would be enough to compensate, but apparently not.  I'll keep it in mind for the next design.

Anyone else hate how the autosave/quicksave system works?  I had something go a bit weird on me and hit F9...only to realize too late that I was loading a quicksave from a few days prior.  And since loading the quicksave resets the autosave, I couldn't just kill the process and reload.  All I really lost was some science from a Minmus run, but it still sucks that there's no direct way of reverting to the most recent autosave, and that the quicksave never updates itself to account for time passed.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It's been a while since I played around with saves, but it's a case of backing up the relevant files iirc?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
there is a new save feature while hitting escape at the space center, i kind of got into the habbit of saving my game every time i play, so if i **** up and loose something, i can recover some of it.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gah, that's right.  I need to get into the habit of doing that after every big mission.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wow...my first attempt at building a basic spaceplane, and not only do I make orbit, I'm then able to fly back to a pinpoint landing at the KSC.  Those RAPIER engines are a marvel.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
They are a cheeky little cheat aren't they :nod:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Husker

Well, I just finally got KSP full version. First spaceplane= rolling, exploding fail. First rocket = too much weight, not enough engine. First stage didn't even get past 13k. Second stage was a Nerva. Fail. Second spaceplane = I got it in the air, then it flipped out. Awesome fail. Except when I had kerbals in it. I suck at designing rockets.