Author Topic: HTL Iceni  (Read 132743 times)

Offline knn

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:34:27 am by knn »
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
That's a nice start, but 3k polygons are a bit too much for this ammount of detail.

Try to use less smoothing for the engines and more detail on the hull.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
If you can glowpoint the thing, I can actually re-create Mono03 in-game, finally!

(I actually made the mission, just hte iceni model sucked...)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:28:40 am by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Kie99

Why Grasshopper?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Thrilla

My question is...how do you convert fs2 models to where I can edit them.  When I convert them I never can edit them or the faces are inverted.
94th Combat Support Hospital, 807th Medical Brigade

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think there are 2 or 3 curved areas on the engines, that have the effect of making the polycount inconsistent with the overall level of detail.

Offline Lynx

I think it's rahter good the way it is. "Detailed" Doesn't mean having blocks sticking out of every flat surface.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Nice start.
The "head" needs more detail....and a cutsom map. Some window-rows à la HTL-Aelous would rock.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Do Bosch looking out of a window! Now THAT would be pretty damn good :D

(albiet, somewhat impossible, I'd guess....)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline knn

@kietotheworld: it looks like a grasshopper without legs.
@Thrilla: PCS-convert to cob (don't forget to set the conversion ratio to 1 before, it's 20 by default, meaning the result will be 1/20 of the original) ; Truespace - save as DXF. Almost everything can read DXF. If the faces are inverted you need a unify normals tool. I don't know which program you're using, but in Max it's called Normals modifier, and it has a unify normals option. Max does this when importing DXF though. You should also weld the vertices which are in the same place, by using a weld tool with a very small threshold (0,01 meters is okay). If you don't do that, every triangle will have it's own vertex in the same place where more triangles meet.

1+----------+2
   | \            |
   |   \          |
   |     \        |
   |       \      |
   |         \    |
   |           \  |
 4+----------+3

There would be 2-2 vertices instead of 1-1 at point 1 and 3 and because DXF faces have to have 4 points, each triangle would actually have one extra vertex, so you would end up with 8 instead of 4.

I think it's rahter good the way it is. "Detailed" Doesn't mean having blocks sticking out of every flat surface.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to say. It's much better if someone actually agrees.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Put more effort into the nose and possible apply some better textures. Besides, it's quite good. Of course, because of its big size, it can't be as good as the much smaller Hercules.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'd say do more with the areas around the windows more than anything else.  The engines are oversmoothed, as has been said already, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.  Especially if your polycount includes the HTL turrets.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
For possible inspiration: http://jonrhien.com/JordanNET/images/event%20horizon%20movie%20poster%202.jpg

It always strikes me how similar the head of the Event Horuzon is to the one of the Iceni (or Hecate)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Here's an idea, include a destroyable, non-targettable submodel to represent the ETAK device or its trasmitter or something.  Then, using the new subsystem audio code (introduced by WMC IIRC) you can give it some cool pulsing sound like an active sonar on a sub.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I personaly felt confident that the ETAK was entirely interior but, each to his own.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
For possible inspiration: http://jonrhien.com/JordanNET/images/event%20horizon%20movie%20poster%202.jpg

that movie was so awesome.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by knn
@kietotheworld: it looks like a grasshopper without legs.

What the hell? :wtf:

Anyway, yeah, I like what you're doing with it, but custom up the head and try to e a bit more poly efficient. Turrets are pretty cool BTW.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline knn

The old head is gone, the new one is rounded. The polycount (everything included) is just below 4k. I will also modify the rear and remove some unneaded detail you cannot notice because of the textures.
BTW, Black Wolf look at the ship from the side and draw three legs to it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I dunno. I always considered the Hecate the grasshopper, but hey...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
New screenies? :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.