Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 324722 times)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
FInally updates on my favourite thread. I love this planet. Coukd you release it? :D
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I recognize the Shu, and the Vasudan destroyer may be a Hedetet.

And the nebula looks like a couple of LS's hi-res nebula stretched out like hell.

I admire that planet. Could you release it?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I recognize the Shu, and the Vasudan destroyer may be a Hedetet.

The Destroyer is a slight reskin of TrashMan's Hedetet upgrade.

First, thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Will I plan on releasing this? Yes I will as it's my first one as stated earlier. I also plan to make many more, but most of these you wont see until TotT gets released.

How I made the clouds? I will admit here now, they were the most time consuming part of making planets if you ask me. Honestly, it's a combination of using the Warp brush (I use Paint Shop Pro 9) on a Twirled image. The image for cloud making started using a random smudge to roughly a circle shape. Then used the twirl function until it was looking like a giant hurricane. Once I did that, I used blur just a tad bit. next up I used the Warp brush in several different sizes and this is where things need to be done carefully. I worked in small areas as much as I could as for some strange reason, the warp brush will delete large areas if your not careful. Undo is your best friend here! :)

Just keep working at it until you get a feel for the effect your looking for. And in my case, this is a ice-menthane planet that has high winds in most cases. Hence why some clouds look very smooth and not so puffy. lastly, use the Soft or blur just a tad to give the clouds some softness and don't over do it! just when you think you can do more, stop and your done.  Note, I redid this three times before I got a hang of what I was doing and I'm sure you will too! ;) Another thing, I went back and forth with the warp brush and twirl function until I got what you see. You may or may not need too. All depends on what you want for your planet.

Yes I can see the unusual areas in the dark areas with the clouds. I have looked into this and what you see is just the clouds in the dark areas interacting with the night filter for the planet. Looks unusual yes, but I think in real life, it might be somewhat the same.

Yes those are lights you see in the dark part of the planet and once you get a close look, you will see they are in canyons and deep areas of the planet and only lights from building are there. Nearly the entire planet lives under ground in large central places like that movie with Arnold Swartzanagger and Sharon Stone on Mars.

It started out as a Mining planet, but since Cappalla's star went POOF, this far end of the GTVA became more important and Dubhe IV got the 21st Battle Group and a new headquarters.

But that's my story and yours can be different too ;)

I'll release this sometime soon. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:40:16 pm by Jadehawk »
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

And here is the zip file for the planet.  :D

I'm pretty sure you all know how to install this ;)

FILE DELETED until new one is made. Apologies all! 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:14:12 am by Jadehawk »

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Hey, I like this planet, Jadehawk! ;7
What about increasing atmosphere glow to make effect like in PlanetA.dds from media_vps?
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

I'll fix it. But everyone please deleted that planet! I just checked and found out my software was compressing the files! I had a crash last week and for some stupid reason, the compression tab was on again! ARUGH!

So I'll fix the shadow again and release this and it will be much better.

Stay tuned!

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Evolution of my nebulas that I only recently started to make thanks to Watsisname. See how it started from some c**p and ended as some rather good nebulas? Skipped one really ugly "nebula" though.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The last 3 are A-1 SUPAR

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
nice on the yellow one, good looking.
el hombre vicio...

Offline eliex

2,3,4 and 5 are very cool. I like them.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
last two are awesome!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
a pic from planet earth made with nasa's surface maps, clouds and city lights ingame.

el hombre vicio...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I think it needs some more atmospheric effect. And water. Now it shows the topography of the seabed, when in reality just the shallowest regions of water would be somewhat lighter.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yeah I noticed that too... I was thinking about adding a new layer with a little diffuse blue to light blue mist very blurry and then maybe grain merge the layer or something.

I'll give another shot with a different angle for the next one.
el hombre vicio...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
* jr2 likes pretty cool pics

This is gonna get some finishing touches (making the shadow on the rings a bit bigger, adding a ring shadow on the planet, even though that'll hardly be noticed). But you get the idea.

Will feature in ASW.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
nice work on the ring man.

the atmospheric glow on the dark side would be because of the lava... if so shouldn't that be less intense?
el hombre vicio...