Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 323579 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
Well, Here's my attempt.

EDIT:  So how do I get this to look right without merging all the layers before I map it?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:22:06 pm by Retsof »
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
*snip*

This planet is actually a render from 3ds Max. It has a radius of 6228.71 km, as scaled in the program (for those who are interested in knowing the dimensions). The planet found in the FS2 intro was a primary inspiration for this render. Compared to the other planets I have done, I would have to say this one is far more subtle in terms of color, even more so than the planet seen in the intro. I am content with the planet as it is, but if you all believe I should increase the saturation in order to make it look more like the planet in the cutscene, I'll make the changes and provide an update over the weekend.

:eek2: Awesomeness.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

@Retsof: That's not bad for a start. I would say: learn to properly use layer masks, that way you can get this to look right without merging all the layers before you map it. Here's a tip: you can't map masks to sphere, but you can copy-paste them to a layer, map it to sphere and copy-paste it back into the mask again.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
*blink*  please speak more slowly.  :P
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Sorry Retsof, I'm still getting used to the Quick-Reply box :)

Anyway, my exams are finished:

Yes, that logo will be spoiling all my pictures from now on, so you dirty rats can't make money with 'em :p
I've been experimenting with rings too, but that didn't quite work:

That last one looks like a 3D model
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Nope, it's all GIMP. That's why the rings look a bit 'off', it's really difficult to get an oval selection on the right place by hand.
Thank you, anyway :)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Hey, FSF, could you make a planet that's been bombed ( for example, like the planet in HomeWorld2 that has a part of it look like it's been nuked ) ? That looks like a huge meteor just impacted it, or a Lucifer fired it's beam cannon onto it ?

Those planets look awesome. Keep it up !

Now that's an interesting idea... I'll try. Have you got 7zip? I'll put the above ones + the bombed one in a file when I'm finished.

EDIT: This is turning out to be more difficult than I expected... Do you have a screenshot of the HW planet? I haven't played it yet.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:31:47 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I have 7-z

And something like that planet - http://www.game-warden.com/fsna/gallery/lucifer.jpg , but like it has just been impacted - meaning that the rest of the planet is fine, except for the part where the shockwave started.

Heck, this is hard. First (crappy) attempt: tell me what's wrong with it please.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The blue oceans just don't work.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Well, the part where it's supposed to be hit doesn't really look hit. The other side should have more green and undamaged parts. And the atmosphere glow should be changed according to the hit and normal part. Apart from that, looks good. And the water should remain.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft

well, there's somthing I came up with, needs work/rendering at a higher detail
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Cool...is that just a part of the full object? :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, I'd like to use it ingame.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Cool...is that just a part of the full object? :P
yeah, it's a full mars style planet, detail goes right down to individual mountains on the surface, (bout 10cm per pixel for heightmap as a guess) I can only render up to 800x600 because it's a free version of the software I use, allthough I could render a few different angles and stitch the images together if anyone wants it any higher...
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
...(bout 10cm per pixel for heightmap as a guess) I can only render up to 800x600 because it's a free version of the software I use, allthough I could render a few different angles and stitch the images together if anyone wants it any higher...

I... seriously doubt that you're using that kind of resolution. :p

If Earth has a circumference of about 40,000 km, and you're using a 8192x4096 resolution texture, one pixel at equator equals to about... 5 km detail on the surface. 4096x2048 res texture could have 10 km per pixel on the equator; that's the resolution I use for my GIMPed planets. Even if the planet was quarter the size of Earth in diameter, it would still have equatorial circumference of about 10,000 km, and a 8192x4096 res texture would have about 1.2 km/pixel detail level; 4096x2048 would have 2.4 km/pixel.

Unless the program is using procedural shaders for the surface, there's no way the texture could be of that detail - it would probably fill a good sized room full of HD's at that detail level. For earth sized planet, the texture size should be about 400,000,000x200,000,000 resolution - the closest powers of two resolution would be 2^29x2^28 (536,870,912x268,435,456); at 24 bits per pixel, that corresponds to 3.45876451*10^18 bits, which is, according to Google, 393 216 terabytes... if you had one terabyte HD's, that amount would be in a grid of HD's that was 73x73x73 HD's per side, plus the odd 4199 HD's. That's a lot of data storage... ;7

Perhaps 10 km was what you meant... instead of centimetres...? :nervous:

Regardless, it looks rather cool. Also, for rendering you might want to try some free 3D software like Blender - you already have the textures if I'm not much mistaken,
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Yeah, procedurals (for the terrain) colour is adjused by height of the terrain

Allready got Blender, got some vids on YT and some stuff on photobucket
http://www.youtube.com/user/humangoogle (Blender Array test FTW!)
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/omega_angelfire/
conflict rainy day is NOT my work, I only edited it for conflict blue so that it would fit my desktop ;)

Next try, feedback please.

[attachment deleted by admin]