Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 324272 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: Celestial Objects Thread
Those are good, Aardwolf.  I really like the colors on the first one and the second is impressive as well.  The last one has a really good surface texture but I think could use some brightening.  The atmosphere-blur effect around the edge is a nice touch.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

This one has a transparent background, so you can save it as a tga or something and use it in FreeSpace.

Offline Topgun

the problem with the Venus-like-one is the blur should be on a different layer. copy the planet layer without the blur and blur the bottom one.

Offline watsisname

Bumpage for another planet. Here we have a molten world, orbiting very close to its parent star.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yikes! That's pretty. :yes:

But why does everyone feel the urge to do lava planets? :wtf:

Offline watsisname

Thanks. :)

I dunno about everyone else, but I like making lava planets because I think they're interesting and challenging to do.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
On a side note, that big landmass in the top left hand corner bit looks strikingly like North America... Hehehe...

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
It actually reminds me of Mustafar.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It actually reminds me of Mustafar.
Well, don't all lava planets?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Well, don't all lava planets?
True. I suppose my brother's endless reruns of RoTS is starting to affect me greatly.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...But why does everyone feel the urge to do lava planets? :wtf:

Because of two reasons: a) Lava is not something you can see every day, so it's special. b) The Lava Filter?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Topgun

the lava filter doesn't make good lava, imo. I make some solid noise and blur it.

Offline watsisname

Yeah, I'm not too fond of GIMP's lava filter, at least not for actually making a lava-like texture.  I like manipulating photographs to get the specific look I'm after.  Solid noise works pretty well, too.  Also try using the emboss distortion tool under filters, it makes a rather nice effect.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
The lava filter looks more like lightning to me.  I was actually going to use it to make a screwed up subspace effect, but I lost the ambition.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

:jaw: How exactly did you do your nightside lava? It looks way better than my crap.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Looks like slightly higher contrast...

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I'm wondering how you all get "map to sphere" to work without horible stretching.  :doubt:
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I'm wondering how you all get "map to sphere" to work without horible stretching.  :doubt:

Two factors.

First, work in very high resolution - 4096^2 at least if you can manage it, and then you can scale down the end result if there's too much stretching to your tastes. Also, don't make the sphere fill the whole layer (distance 0.9) - keeping the sphere at default distance tends to reduce surface stretching notably. Of course the distance kinda also depends on whether you're making a skybox texture or a distant planet background image...

Secondly, to avoid polar distortions in the mapping process itself, you can negate them almost completely by applying Polar co-ordinate distortion to the texture's northern and southern hemispheric part and then blending them together with the unstretched equatorial area.

For example, a simple continental outline map could look like this (in 4096^2, of course):

Same technique applied in multiple layers to make a gas giant texture:

It takes some practice and manual labour to get the parts of the map to match, but in the end it isn't as complicated as one might think, but when you get it down, you can make pretty good spherically mappable textures with minimal distortion.

Also, you can cheat your way around polar issues by using large polar ice caps, but, well, if the planet is not supposed to have them you're kinda screwed. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline watsisname

How exactly did you do your nightside lava? It looks way better than my crap.
To make the night-side emission I up the contrast a bit on the surface texture, and set the shadow layer to overlay, which increases the contrast further.  Doing this makes the lightside look pretty crappy, so I fix that by adding new layers over it for color, saturation, and contrast correction.  If you'd like I can send you the .xcf file so you can see exactly how that works.

There's several ways of doing this, some are pretty sneaky.  In addition to Herra's methods, you can use the "make seamless" tool to fix the edges, but you'll still have polar distortion.  In my case I didn't make it seamless, but instead rotated the sphere so the seam is out of view.  Then I paint some dark areas over the nightside which also help mask the polar distortion. :) 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:05:50 am by watsisname »

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Just out of curiosity, has anyone worked with Omniscaper's old Model of Earth (with atmosphere layer)?

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)