Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 323532 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
It's one of those 1 minute jobs in GIMP (55 seconds of which is GIMP starting up... :nervous:)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

I wanted to make my nebula prettier by adding stars to it. At first I was just going to add some HSV or RGB noise but that looked like ****, so I went back to the last version I had and manually put in some stars. I had a heck of a hard time figuring out how to create a custom brush in GIMP ... I spent 30 minutes fooling around with thed brushes dialog before I had the inspiration to do a ****ing google search. I finally got it right and made a brush for the halos. The big thing I'm displeased with is hpw the diffraction spikes are all the same length even though the halos vary with the with size of the star.

Suggestions?

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
What I do if I want a better starfeild effect is make the HSV noise but then go over it with the sparkle filter.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
What I do if I want a better starfeild effect is make the HSV noise but then go over it with the sparkle filter.

My methods for making a starfield is as follows...

There are basically four types of stars you can see: blue, red, yellow and bright. The dimmest stars usually just appear "bright", meaning they have no distinguishable colour. Brightests stars like Sirius, Arcturus, Antares or Betelgeuze have clear colour onto them, although they too are primarily just bright... So I make some plasma, then make every other colour but blue, red and yellow transparent (gets rid of cyan, green, magenta, white and black) to form a random colouration map for the brightest stars.

Then I make some grayscale noise, apply brightness/contrast at about 60/110, duplicate the layer, apply brightness/contrast at about -60/40 to only get the brightest stars visible. Gaussian blur with value 2. Normalize, desaturate if necessary. Apply the colour map to this layer at about 50% intensity, and the normal starfield layer on top of that. Should look about like this:

Aardwolf, make the differently sized stars on different layers. Same brightness/size goes to same layer. Then apply the diffraction filter on each layer separately, length varying based on the star brightness, and it should work quite nicely. Of course, if you did something else than a filter, then this might not work... :nervous:

You could also try and kinda blur the combined star layer before diffraction, and apply that to increase the brightness of the nebula. Right now the brightness of the nebula seems only adjusted by the diffraction filter around the stars, which is not necessarily good thing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while that kind of diffraction might be accurate for a photograph taken with a telescope that has four support beams for the secondary mirror, human eyes see diffraction very much differently (and diffraction wouldn't be static anyways, so baking it onto the background imagery wouldn't necessarily be a bright idea)... For FreeSpace background use, keep that in mind; for art, you can do whatever pleases the eye most.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
I love those Nebulas. Do more, add alpha channel and release to the community to use along with Ligtspeed's ones :D

Nebulas don't have alpha channel, they use black as transparent (additive blending as opposed to alpha blending used on planets)...
So I can simply copy that image convert to dds/tga and use in-game?
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Basically? Yes. Although you should copy it to a power-of-two resolution (probably stretch it to 1024x2048), then save without alpha channel as a TGA (easiest way to do this is to select black as background colour and flatten the image, then save).

You could also use it as a skybox texture... like this:

Although it is a bit low-res for that purpose... :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline watsisname

This is now also a nebulae thread. :D
I think the combination of Apophysis and GIMP is very useful for making nebula-ish images.  And they dont always turn out looking the same in style, which is rather nice.  Here are a few examples:

My first attempt: an emission nebula.

And here's something of a dark nebula... or maybe a supernova remnant?

Lastly, a reflection nebula, including some stars.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:07:45 am by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

Nebulae are celestial objects in a way!  :nervous:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
planetc.

The original pcx planet is on the upper left corner for reference.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think the combination of Apophysis and GIMP is very useful for making nebula-ish images.  And they dont always turn out looking the same in style, which is rather nice.  Here are a few examples:

My first attempt: an emission nebula.

And here's something of a dark nebula... or maybe a supernova remnant?

Lastly, a reflection nebula, including some stars.

WOW! :D

You must be planning to release a nebulae pack, aren't you? :)

EDIT: Herra's planetc is fantastic as well!  :cool:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline watsisname

Re: Mobius:  I'm not focusing on making a set of nebulae at the moment, but maybe when I've completed a fair number of good quality ones I can release them as a pack. :)

Tonight, though, I worked on a new planet -- a glacial world, inspired by recently reading information on the "snowball earth" theory.  Tried to capture that cold, desolate feeling.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
You were up at 6am?

Nice planet.

A bit blue IMO, but the surface texture is very good.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
I'd like to see some blue atmosphere glow around it.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline watsisname

Thanks for the feedback.
Shiv_pl:  I did try having the atmosphere glow more blue, but I felt it detracted from the feeling of coldness in the planet, which is why I went with white.  (Actually it has a very faint tinge of blue, but it's hard to notice).

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

[...]

[...]

Is that a new muzzle flash (possibly for the Subach in 3.6.10)?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Yeah, it's a muzzle flash from the mediaVP's...

Also, here's a replacement candidate for PlanetB.

This time, with BlenderRender using GIMP-made textures. Seems to be a good alternative especially in cases with a lot of features that are dependant on accurate bump mapping...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I like that one. 's good. :yes:

But I like LightSpeed's planetc more than yours...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
But I like LightSpeed's planetc more than yours...

It's unsurprising that photographs would look better than planets and moons created from scratch on CGI... PlanetC is a re-coloured Europa, and as good as it looks (which is fundamentally arguable - I think it's a bit oversaturated) it's really weird for anyone who recognizes it to see parts of solar system in whatever distant corner of galaxy modders place them to.

Could you tell how or why you like Europa better than my icy moon? :)

Also, here's a rendered version of my gas giant (planetG)...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Could you tell how or why you like Europa better than my icy moon? :)
Well yours looks like random scratches that would happen to a marble while LightSpeed's recoloured Europa seems to have actual trenches...