Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 323693 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
also the atmosphere is the wrong colour.
The atmosphere wouldn't be the same color as the oceans, idiot... :doubt::rolleyes:

Would it? :nervous:

just kidding about the idiot thing

Offline watsisname

Well, from an artistic standpoint, the atmosphere can be any color you want it to be.
If you want to go with realism, then the color should reflect the type of planet it is, the composition of the atmosphere itself, and the color of the parent star to some degree.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline watsisname

Made a random space scene.  Landscape was made in Terragen.  Planet, moon, and stars made in Gimp.  Except for the random asteroid thingy on the left.  That's phobos. <_<

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Made a random space scene.  Landscape was made in Terragen.  Planet, moon, and stars made in Gimp.  Except for the random asteroid thingy on the left.  That's phobos. <_<

So i'm going to assume the land is Deimos or Mars. And in that case, earth/luna are way, way too close

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Could someone make me a water planet?  (Was like europa untill the sun went Red Giant)
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I like this thread so much!!

Hey have you ever concider making dds files to place in-game as background bitmaps?
I've made a few from actual footage from solar planets, but good images are not that common so I'm kinda stuck, also in the middle of exams term so not much to experiment I'm afraid.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Isn't there already this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,41939.msg1057800.html#msg1057800 ?
Though the more the merrier.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline watsisname

So i'm going to assume the land is Deimos or Mars. And in that case, earth/luna are way, way too close

It's a completely fictional setting.  An image of Phobos was used to make one of the moons, but nothing in the scene is supposed to be a real-life object/location.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Isn't there already this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,41939.msg1057800.html#msg1057800 ?
Though the more the merrier.
Ah, forgot about that.  Yes, that'll do nicely.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

(...) a square or sphere would need to be twice as tall as they are wide in order to appear as square or sphere... and then there's the matter of polar distortion. I've posted this image before, but it's a good example:

...looks like this in a "world map" ratio (2:1 instead of a square):

...looks like this wrapped on sphere:

How do you get polar distortion working that good? I'm having severe troubles with it. What I'm doing right now, is dividing my texture horizontally in two parts and polarizing them separately, but somehow the parts don't fit together anymore when I've done that.

:blah: Oh well, never mind. I'll try and work my way around it.

I know the lighting on the next one isn't completely correct, but that has a reason ;)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
About the polar distortion; I cheat.

Basically, I make two different polar distorted textures of solid noise clouds - one for the upper and one for the lower hemisphere - and one undistorted texture in the middle. Then I usually alpha mask the layers so that the non-distorted texture will show up in the center, and the distorted textures are visible on top of that on the polar regions.

After that is done, I make adjustments to the contrast on the "gradient area" to equalize the contrast on the whole overall texture (alpha mask tends to reduce the contrast for some reason) and then Copy Visible, paste to new layer and adjust contrast/brightness to get the continents visible. Contrast defines the sharpness of the continents (usually takes rather high value to look good), while brightness defines the white/black ratio (I usually think the white stuff as continents and black stuff as oceans). The resulting continent map can be used as an alpha mask to a ground texture layer. For example. After the continent map is at this stage, you can manually erase things you don't like, for example little islands divided by the left/right edge of texture (they can be a ***** to colour so that no seaming occurs) and other stuff like that.

Sounds complex but it works reasonably well and is simpler than it sounds... Oh well, since images tell more than words, see attachment, it should make it rather clear what I'm doing.

The exact same technique can be applied to everything you put on your planets - oceans, cloud layers, terrain colouring layer... it works rather well most of the time. Sometimes you can notice two "lowered contrast" regions on the map left by the alpha mask, but usually you can deal with them, and when making continents it hardly matters since you're going to contrast the image to about two colours anyway. Oh, and this technique as I use it leaves the continent edges aliased. Working in higher resolution and using careful gaussian blur on the continents works on this issue, otherwise I haven't found anything overly wrong in it.

Leaving the contrast to somewhere like +120 instead of taking it directly to the max +127 also works, but it leaves the outlines of the continents and island quite fuzzy. Sometimes this can work, sometimes not so much.

Oh, and that planet looks pretty good. The rings look very recent, otherwise they would've evened out to form seemingly "uniform" rings, but if you justify the "cloudyness" by something like test fire of Death Star, then it works just fine. The starfield looks fine, perhaps a little dense to my tastes but fine in general.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:10:10 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever

I know the lighting on the next one isn't completely correct, but that has a reason ;)

CAPELLA!

Actually, I like it :)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

CAPELLA!

Actually, I like it :)

Hey, that ain't bad.

Wow, thank you Herra. This is definitely better than what I was doing :D

As for the planet: it's not in Capella. It's not in any system AFAIK, and not meant to be in-game either. The first one to guess what I based it on gets a cookie.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
But FSF, if you look at the ending cutscene of FS2, and this planet, you'll see how it damn well looks like a zoomed out version of the gas giant's scene in the final cutscene's first moments.

And I dunno what it's based on. Saturn?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I would say... Uranus.

It's impossible to get a good image of Uranus these days... I've been going to the nasa JTP page to find some and nothing, god dammit I think I might have to do as you did and just grab some coffee and start making it from the top, though I'll try finishing the other planets before.

EDIT: mmm now that I look at it, it's more like Saturn as Shadow said.
el hombre vicio...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That's a GTA logo. Reminds me of the good ol' FS1 days.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
So true! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

That's a GTA logo. Reminds me of the good ol' FS1 days.
Congrats, you've won a cookie! Here it is: O :D