Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 321916 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
Well, it is unnatural.
Terraforming is a completely artificial process. You could get the end result to try and maintain itself, but sometimes active input (such as bigass mirrors) make more sense.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline watsisname

The E:  You are right and that's a very good point; you would expect to see polarcaps on Mars even after terraforming (water ice instead of CO2 ice though), unless the global temperature were raised to an extreme degree with a massive greenhouse atmosphere.  But that'd be kind of useless because then people couldn't live on it without respirators...
Anyway the surface texture I used actually has the real polar caps present (large one at north pole, tiny one in south) but from the camera angle I used when spheremapping, neither cap is visible.  My preference here was to center on the equatorial region to show Valles Marineris, the Tharsis volcanoes, and Hellas Basin in a single view.

As for Mercury texture, if I recall correctly there is not yet a complete mapping of Mercury's surface (I recall a lot of the images I've seen of it have a big swath of empty space near the northern pole).  Might have better data after Messenger enters orbit. =P  But then of course I could just render from whatever side has nothing missing. <_<  I'll take a look and see. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As for Mercury texture, if I recall correctly there is not yet a complete mapping of Mercury's surface (I recall a lot of the images I've seen of it have a big swath of empty space near the northern pole).  Might have better data after Messenger enters orbit. =P  But then of course I could just render from whatever side has nothing missing. <_<  I'll take a look and see. :)
The three fly-bys that Messenger has made as part of its complex multi-year orbital insertion have pushed the total mapped area to something like 98 percent, actually.  I don't know how usable the images will be, since they might be a bit patchwork, but I'd imagine there's at least some shot out there that you could use for an in-game graphic.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:53:44 pm by Mongoose »

Offline watsisname

Started working on a terraformed Venus.  :)

Venus 2009:

Present Day, durr.

Venus 2242:

Fair portion of atmosphere removed.

Venus 2335 ;)

Atmosphere altered to be more like Earth's.  Some liquid water on the surface, but no clouds, yet.  Plantlife added to make a simple biosphere.

Venus 2456

Venus at the completion of terraforming.  High seas, clouds, and complete biosphere.

Wish I had higher resolution maps to work with. =(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:24:39 am by watsisname »

Offline Droid803

Nice! :yes:
(´・ω・`)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
you got some talent there, something to note about the planets:

2335 one has a weird transition between swadow and light parts, it's like the green colour is lost far too fast.

2456 one you can note the emboss layer you used to represent the clouds, specially because you left a lonely one far on the light side, it's too notorious and might help blurring the black colour, and maybe some ice on the poles could work as well.

aside from that your work is great, you keep going man!
el hombre vicio...

Just holy ****, man! Now all we need is a campaign featuring this change :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
AWESOME. :D

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
VENUS? Although the terraforming is very cool looking, that is... very much impractical. Being that close to Sol, the planet could not concievably ever be like that; if it were ever at that point [terraforming-wise] at its current position in relation to the sun, I presume that your Earth-like atmosphere would be rapidly scorched, etc., etc.

Venus is as it is now for a reason...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Droid803

Well, you could put giant shades in.
Apparently it would be habitable after terraforming, according to wikipedia and some other sources. Because terraforming would involve lowering the temperature as well, through whatever means.

I also recall reading that making earth-air filled floating colonies in the Venusian atmosphere would work too. (Apparently temperatures where the venusian atmosphere's pressure is ~1 atm is about Earth temperature (0 - 50 degrees celsius, which is a fairly comfortable range, actually). Though that is not terraforming, merely colonization.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:47:09 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
 :mad:

... I was writing a response to your statement when the session timed out... hence "mad."

The temperature is an inherent problem which couldn't be dealt with easily at all. Now, I'm not about to say it's impossible - that's not "how I roll." However, impractical? improbable? Oh yes, that says it all...

The expenditure of resources, both in the build-up of the terraforming as well as maintaining that environment would be... ludicrous, to say the least. Without intervention by man... that planet would revert to its nasty Venus self, I'm quite certain. The only other planet in this solar system which I think would be able to maintain a "terraformation" would be Mars, and even that would be dicey if my understanding is correct. Without an active/spinning core, Mars is sort of "dead;" the field that a planet's core produces protects it from the dangers of space as well helping in retaining an atmosphere. Mars definately has an atmosphere, but it's not much...

...I wonder if part of the solution for Mars wouldn't be literally "building" an artificial moon about the planet to get the core to start moving...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline watsisname

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Re: Thaeris:

The terraformation of Venus would be take significantly more effort than it would for Mars, but I do not believe it is economically impractical (well today it is, obviously, but several hundred years from now, who knows).  I believe that the value of a habitable Venus would justify the cost of terraforming it, though it would be much more logical to start with Mars instead.

On Venus, there are the following problems to be dealt with:
1:  Too much heat.
2:  Too thick atmosphere / too much pressure
3:  Non-breathable / poisonous atmosphere
4:  Length of solar day, which is 116 earth days
5:  Lack of magnetic field.

Problems 1, 2, and 3 are closely related.  If you remove enough atmosphere to bring surface pressure to earth level, as well as replace the CO2 with nitrogen/oxygen, then a great deal of that heat would be released.  However, the sun's apparent size is 50% greater from Venus, so it is likely necessary to deflect much of that light through orbiting mirrors or soletta.  Once solar insolation is down to earthlike levels there should be no reason for Venus to revert back to a hot/toxic environment.
As for the length of day, that’s quite a big problem, too.  Not just for biology since here it has evolved to a 24-hour cycle, but having such slow rotation would likely cause strong winds to balance temperature differences from the day side to the night side.  I’m not a climate expert though so I don’t know how severe they would be.
Magnetic field would help preserve the atmosphere but might not be as necessary as the other fixes.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
point 4
if the transformation does result in high winds then you will probably be looking at living in bioms or subterranean until they can be controlled (look at the extreme storm systems we get on Earth as i suspect these would at the least be the norm) this would provide the means for controlling day night for crops etc through shutters and artificial lighting

point 5
i suspect a possible answer would lie in Magnetic sails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_sail) and an  array of satellites utilizing an adapted form of the technology
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's indeed interesting, watsisname. I assume by economic value you're referring to Venus' mineral resources... though I could be wrong.

The slow rotation would have a considerable advantage for solar power (reduced living costs?), though for the most part I feel it would be down-hill from there. Without specialized crops, the plant life might suffer rather harshly (countering the reduced power bill by having high grocery bills...  :P), and I assume the climate would be exceedingly dry (and you thought Arrakis was rough...  :nervous:). Thus, I predict epic, horrendous forest/prairie fires on terraformed Venus.

Quote from:  Smokey Bear
Remember, only you can... Screw this, get me the heck outta here!

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline watsisname

Not just for its mineral resources, one wouldn't even need to terraform it completely to get those.  But imagine the value of having a second planet the size of earth for people to live on.  ;7

Why would the climate be dry, though?  Surely water could be brought in from elsewhere?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Alright, fine.

Ungodly humid.

:P

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline watsisname

Yuuuugh, I hope not, I already live in a swamp.  :lol:

Offline Droid803

Grow your plants under shades that create an earth-like day/night cycle?
Sure, it'd be more expensive, but hey at least you get it to grow XD
(´・ω・`)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think whatsisname is on about reliving over population of this planet
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art