Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 321929 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
what do you use to render these?
el hombre vicio...

what do you use to render these?
It's essentially a mash-up of various tools; the primary one being a Russian space-based engine/simulator which does most of the rendering, with the addition of Nasa's huge maps of various whatnot, with final (and unfortunately, essential) touchups being done by hand in Photoshop.

Another planet, this time up close and personal; tried adding some emphasis to the surface.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Incredible :O :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
DO WANT.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

DO WANT.
Un-fixable seam issues caused by initial render; don't want. :nono: For some reason each render is several dozen pixels off amongst other things (lighting issues, degrading distance quality,  bla bla etc...)

I was fiddling around with planet rings and decided to try for some ring shadows against the planet. Also, per JCDNWarrior's request, I've uploaded the second skybox (no planets) for public use. It comes with the lossless TGA files and the compressed DDS files (both are at 6*4096x4096 resolution.) Feel free to use as you please; the link is below, instructions are included in the rar file.

Dropbox - MilkyWaySkybox.rar

Thank you very much, ForeignAnomaly! It looks great - hope to make good use of it in the coming time :) Your most recent update looks incredible as well, and I hope a method could be found to fix the seam issues you mentioned, keep up the good work either way!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

I was fiddling around with planet rings and decided to try for some ring shadows against the planet. Also, per JCDNWarrior's request, I've uploaded the second skybox (no planets) for public use. It comes with the lossless TGA files and the compressed DDS files (both are at 6*4096x4096 resolution.) Feel free to use as you please; the link is below, instructions are included in the rar file.

Dropbox - MilkyWaySkybox.rar

Thank you very much, ForeignAnomaly! It looks great - hope to make good use of it in the coming time :) Your most recent update looks incredible as well, and I hope a method could be found to fix the seam issues you mentioned, keep up the good work either way!
You are quite welcome and thank-you; hope it works well in your future endeavors. :yes: It's unlikely that I'll find much time for doing this in the upcoming week, so here's one final one I've finished up (no seam issues finally.) I still liked the other one more, but beggars (such as myself) can't be choosers. :p

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
I have to admit as well, that is quite spectacular(I wonder if I could get you to do some stuff for my starfox mod)

I have to admit as well, that is quite spectacular(I wonder if I could get you to do some stuff for my starfox mod)
Thanks. As for the mod, I'd be happy to lend a hand; give me a shout via PM and we'll go from there. :yes:

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
For those curious, I recognize the work of Space Engine (HLP thread) as the main renderer.  You need a very good machine to run it though.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

For those curious, I recognize the work of Space Engine (HLP thread) as the main renderer.  You need a very good machine to run it though.
Indeed. The main issue is you have to fiddle and patch things up via PS (or an equivalent editor) in order for them to get in-game nicely.

I'm figuring out more and more about Freespace and now I'm at this point;  If there is, where do you download planets to use in Fred, and also how do you install them?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I'm figuring out more and more about Freespace and now I'm at this point;  If there is, where do you download planets to use in Fred, and also how do you install them?

You can download them from this very thread. Alternatively, you can check FSMods or other FS related sites ( Top right - External Sites dropdown menu).

To install them, create a folder named "Planets" ( or whatever you prefer), insi9de that folder create a folder named "data".
Inside that folder create two new folders, named "tables" and "effects" ( no quotes).

Place the Planet Bitmaps in the "effects" folder, then create a empty textfile, paste the relevant entries from here, and save as Stars_add.tbm.
Alternatively, extract the Stars_adv tbm from the mediavps, and add the new entries there.
Just make sure you use your own modfolder as described above, and not the FS2 data folder.

When done, open the Launcher and paste this line into the features tab: -mod Planets, or whatever you called your mod.

then create a empty textfile, paste the relevant entries from here, and save as Stars_add.tbm.
Alternatively, extract the Stars_adv tbm from the mediavps, and add the new entries there.
Just make sure you use your own modfolder as described above, and not the FS2 data folder.

thats were i get confused.

I want to make some levels off the blue planet 2 mod to play but I want new planets with it. Why does it have to be an Einstein project to do this? lol.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
then create a empty textfile, paste the relevant entries from here, and save as Stars_add.tbm.

thats were i get confused.

I've attached an tbm file, edit the entries with notepad (rename the entries in the tbm with the filenames of your bitmaps) and just save it again.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
hahaha, Einstein project :P

About background stuff...

There's two different ways to put "planets" in a freespace mission.

1) Planet Bitmaps, which are basically image files of the planet itself that you "place" using the FRED2 background editor.
2) Skyboxes, which are 6 images that represent the 6 inner faces of a cube (inside which the mission takes place), this cube is a model that freespace loads up and uses as a far-view fill up.

Which one do you think you'll be using?, Angelus gave a walkthough of the 1st option.

Do as Angelus says first, you'll get to see results faster.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
skyboxes 'n stuff

There's not much difference in the usage of bitmaps and skyboxes, all it takes is an additional folder within the data folder named "models", where the skybox model is placed.
There are no tbms needed for a skybox though.

And both, bitmaps and skyboxes are set in the background editor in FRED.

Well, I got 2 planets working. I don't know how but I did it.  :D I feel accomplished in some way. Ok do i just save pictures as on these planets and transfer them somehow? ok i believe i now understand how to get them working. now i have another problem. when i put the planets up on the background it does not show up what so ever. what do i do to fix it so i can see the planets?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:15:17 pm by metirian »