Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn  (Read 219745 times)

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn
Now only if we could get some VA work done for Wings....

For some reason, I don't think Spoon can get a bunch of japanese seiyuus for us.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The best campaing that I ever played ,after Wih of course , I really like it and thanks the great effort of this community , especially in the modders like you, thanks again spoon  ;) ;) ;)
Glad to hear you like it  :)

WiH might have better production values, but it doesn't have the bat**** insanity contained within Wings.
I'm a bit puzzled by this production value comment.

According to three different sites:
In the movie industry, the quality of a film is referred to as “production value.” Generally, films with a higher budget will have a high production value, because of the greater investment of resources. It is the goal of most movie makers to make films which are stylish, attractive, and use high quality special effects in combination with exotic locations. These high production value films can be quite costly to make, representing a major gamble on the part of potential investors.
Production Values: Describes the quality of a media production proportional to the money and technology expended on the text.
PRODUCTION VALUES The elements that make up the complete media product. In electronic media, production values include cuts, dissolves, color, placement in the frame, editing, etc. In print; paper quality, ink color, placement on the page, size, shape, etc.
The only resources a modder can invest into a mod is time and effort. Neither WoD or WiH had any money involved in the developing progress (for as far as I know :p )
So I dont really understand what you mean by 'better production values'.

Now only if we could get some VA work done for Wings....

For some reason, I don't think Spoon can get a bunch of japanese seiyuus for us.
Unforunately  :(
 :P
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Let's drop the WiH vs. WoD comparisons. They're both great campaigns and Spoon and I work together too closely to be competing.

SPOON LET'S BROFIST

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Let's drop the WiH vs. WoD comparisons. They're both great campaigns and Spoon and I work together too closely to be competing.

SPOON LET'S BROFIST

Agree with that , both campaings are unique, and very well done
Let's play Blue Planet

Waaaaaah I suck. I can't get past "Holding the Line."
I've tried everything I can think of, including dropping the difficulty down to easy. I badly need some pointers.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Attack the Nordera Battleaxes! I die.
Attack the Fun'agle(sp?) cruisers. I die, but otherwise the LSF caps eventually blow them up.
Sit and defend against all fighters that come within 3000m. The GA retreats eventually, and I lose.
Seraphim and Cherubim are currently flying Rays armed with that neat, rapid fire energy weapon, you know the one.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hide in the GA's hangar bay!

Also tried: Hiding in the GA's hanger bay, firing cluster missiles at all comers. It doesn't stop torpedos though, and eventually, the GA retreats (killing me).

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
In that same mission, I am stuck even in very easy. I manage to single-handly destroy both Fun'agle cruisers and force both Battleaxes to retreat, all my wingmen are in perfect shape and defend the GA, yet still its health drop for no reason and I keep loosing for, again, no reason. Are you supposed to loose or something ? Can this mission be beaten at all ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

The two biggest threats to the GA are the Battleaxes (getting the sensors or missile tubes nullifies that threat... or simply intercepting enough torpedoes that the point defense guns can handle the rest) and the Zy bombers.
When you are told to intercept the Zy, you really should do that. After that concentrate on shooting down the incoming Nordera missiles or the battleaxes. When I went after the battleaxes I was attacked by sweepers and Nordera fighters, so keep an eye out for them.

The only loadout I changed was my own (Ray III-E with Proton Pulse Cannon).

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Battleaxes have powerful guns but poor coverage. Keep your approach as close to dead-on the bow as you can and you'll only have to deal with one of the guns (if it upsets you enough, kill it). Go for the sensors rather than the torpedo tubes, they're more exposed and closer to your zone of relative safety. Equalize your shields furiously and put more power to them while you're near the Battleaxes. Run back to the Guardian Angel when you're done with that and hide in the turret coverage between it and the cruisers. When the Zy bombers show up, don't run out to intercept them. Stay in close and pick off their bombs before they make contact.

I actually had my wings guarding the cruisers, but they were in close enough formation to the GA that it was still protected. And it bought a little more engagement range against incoming missiles.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Thanks guys, finally managed it.

I took a Kaze with dual Plasma Cannons, and a bank of CAS-9 Heaven's Fires. Lobbed CAS-9s from the hangar until the Battleaxes showed up, then flew up to each one, and just parked right on top of the sensors - I mean I was clipping through the front of them I was so close. After they both retreated,  the rest was easy.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Was the Ray Mark III named after this?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Was the Ray Mark III named after this?
Yes!
Holy **** took long enough for someone to figure that out!  :p

Custom robo arena on the ds is quite a fun game, was playing it early in the development cycle of WoD
Urutorahappī!!

Holy ****, a Custom Robo reference I missed? :eek:

Custom Robo is one of my favorite Gamecube games! How could I possibly...?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nabla

Hello.
I'm currently playing the campaigns and I like it. It's really a show like a anim or a film. Good work spoon.

I had a problem in the emp mission. After having destroy the emp field, when we then have a easy battle with cruiser, when only two or one left, the game crash. It crashed several times in a row a this moment, i don't know if it's related to the explosion of a cruiser. After a reboot of the computer it crashed a few time in normal, and debug build. When I wanted to show the bug in taking note when in crash, it did'nt crash... I have retested one time in release with the tech room it didn't crash. I will retest tomorow.

I had in other mission some crash but no with so good timing. And the tech room seem crash in debug mod.
I'm running under ubuntu 10.10 with final inferno build.

Good luck with WoD 2.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks and glad to hear you like it so far  :)

Unforunately I don't have a system with linux installed (and I dont believe any of my testers have either) so I'm afraid I can't offer you too much support there myself.
as far as I recall, this is the first time I heard about that particular mission acting up.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are a few bugs that were only surfacing in a crashy fashion on Linux that were squashed recently. I would recommend using a recent nightly build.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nabla

Thank you for the fast reply.

I was able to finish the mission but by curiosity i retested the mission. And thinck have a explanation, it seem to bug, only if you look the battle, if you look on the opposite direction is don't happen. The strange things is that it doesn't crash imediatly, but only at the middle of the battle.

I will try to have a debug log, I have the following error:
Code: [Select]
Future debug output directed to: /home/pablo/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log
ASSERTION FAILED: "(bm_bitmaps[n].handle == bitmapnum)" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:2052  bitmapnum = 4, n = 4, bm_bitmaps[n].handle = 28504
AL lib: ALc.c:1818: alcCloseDevice(): deleting 1 Buffer(s)
Future debug output directed to: /home/pablo/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log
ASSERTION FAILED: "(bm_bitmaps[n].handle == bitmapnum)" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:2052  bitmapnum = 538976288, n = 3288, bm_bitmaps[n].handle = 0

Ok i will test a nigtly build.

After other test i find that i have the same error message if I go in debug mod in the techroom (in release it is ok). It happen in normal and inferno build. Without mod i don't have this issue.  It doesn't crash always but it open and close the tech room 2,3 times it will crash.

ASSERTION FAILED: "(bm_bitmaps[n].handle == bitmapnum)" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:2052  bitmapnum = 1120403456, n = 1956, bm_bitmaps[n].handle = 301206

I don't know if it's come because of WoD or it's a bug in the fs2_open.

If you need help for testing on linux, i can help you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Found root pack '/usr/local/games/freespace2/0rph3u5.vp' with a checksum of 0xf4f337da
Found root pack '/usr/local/games/freespace2/Nameplates.vp' with a checksum of 0x6c0007b7

These two files should not be there.

-ship_choice_3d
  -weapon_choice_3d

You should really look into the commandline reference page on the wiki for more switches to prettify your game.

OpenGL Renderer   : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT x86/MMX/SSE2
  OpenGL Version    : 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel

On the other hand, it's another Intel chip. Why do people who want to play games keep using these?

At any rate, this error is one of those that is really tricky to track down. The problem is a collision in the bitmap manager; most causes of this should be eliminated already.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nabla

I have deleted the two file at the wrong place and tested this build. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=72131.0.
Without the mod wing of Dawn no direct problem, with the mod in debug, imediat crash after launching the game.

ASSERTION FAILED: "size > 0" at windows_stub/stubs.cpp:563
I don't know where i muss continu to post the bug, because it seem related to fs2_open, but direct crash only happen with WoD. Has another person on linux has crash with WoD in linux?

The graphic cart cannot be changed, it is a labtop. And performance are sufficiant for playing old game and game like freespace.

For the command line i have put the strict minimun everithing off except the two recommanded setting for this mod, when i have saw the first crash.

[attachment deleted by admin]