Author Topic: [Help wanted] Screenshot creator  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
[Help wanted] Screenshot creator
We are looking for someone with an eye for screenshots who can take pictures to be used as mission loading screens.  We have about half of the required images, so we just need to get the remaining set before we release Scroll Act I.  Hopefully this will be just about one month away.

If you are interested, please post examples of screenshots you've taken.  Some examples can be seen here.  For those looking for campaign news, these also double as Mystery Pics. :)

Offline starlord

Re: [Help wanted] Screenshot creator
Nice.

Out of curiosity, do you plan to use an HTL arachnas in scroll?

I do remember the old arachnas in one of the site screenshots and at some point moonred modeled an HTL for the inferno alliance mini campaigns I think.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, yes.  We are now using the HTL Arachnas.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I'm up for working on this, but I've PM'ed you about that as I'm not sure if it's my first priority.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Are there special requirements for screenshots?
If i read about "The Scroll of Atankharzim" i think primarily about screenshots that should contain vasudan ships or technologies.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm up for working on this, but I've PM'ed you about that as I'm not sure if it's my first priority.

Ya, I responded.  This thread is in the public forum, so it's geared more towards the HLP public (i.e. people who aren't already members of SA).

Are there special requirements for screenshots?
If i read about "The Scroll of Atankharzim" i think primarily about screenshots that should contain vasudan ships or technologies.

The idea is that each loading screen will be related to the mission, without giving anything away.  Think of the loading screens that are used in Derelict, except whereas Derelict used the same loading screen for multiple missions in a row, Scroll will have a unique screen for each mission.

So, yes, Scroll is Vasudan-based which means it will contain a lot of Vasudan ships.  But the intent is not to create a random screenshot with random Vasudan ships.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Small suggestion: Try to avoid situations like first screenshot, guys. Shockwaves U used are very bright and are more than a half of the whole image. As actual loadingscreen, it would blind player and totally distract his eyes from everything else on the screenshot.
Try to go for something like 2nd and 3rd screenshots. They are nice, close compositions with distinctive eye-catching elements and they both follow the rules of golden division.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Nice screens i like to help

I will do give me a minit
To post it

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Small suggestion: Try to avoid situations like first screenshot, guys. Shockwaves U used are very bright and are more than a half of the whole image. As actual loadingscreen, it would blind player and totally distract his eyes from everything else on the screenshot.
Try to go for something like 2nd and 3rd screenshots. They are nice, close compositions with distinctive eye-catching elements and they both follow the rules of golden division.

I like the first screenshot, so it stays.  I think the bright shockwave makes it more dramatic.

If you have some ideas on what might make a good screenshot, you are welcome to post some examples of your own screenshots, as described in the first post.

Nice screens i like to help

I will do give me a minit
To post it

Thanks. :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

I like the first screenshot, so it stays.  I think the bright shockwave makes it more dramatic.

If you have some ideas on what might make a good screenshot, you are welcome to post some examples of your own screenshots, as described in the first post.
Exile gallery thread. Also some of my winning entries in Screenshot Contest are on FSWiki.

Yeah, I would help with that instead of posting advices but I'm currently pretty busy. Also trying to find place in queue for Faustus II.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

look at this
screens works for real

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I think it's due to clogged files in the FreeSpace Open folder in the Hard Light productions folder in the AppData/Roaming folder. Perhaps you should take note of this and none of this will occur in the future.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think it's due to clogged files in the FreeSpace Open folder
:wtf: What is this even supposed to mean?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
...Well, now I have this stuck in my head again, so thanks for that.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

this looks better

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Wow! That's better.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Nice screenshot. :yes:

May i help you im selected