Author Topic: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I  (Read 204027 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I
We are a people of legacy. It is said that in the earliest days, when our people first walked upon the cooling silver sands of the twilight, that then was prophesied the destiny of our race. And we touched the stars, even as foretold. But in our conceit we forgot the words of the Prophets, and the Destroyers fell upon us in their wrath...

When your children ask of their history, of how they came to be
Atankharz'ythi, then you will teach them the words of this scroll, that they may learn from their ancestors and not repeat their arrogance and folly. The stars hold our fate; we search them for our salvation.

—The Scroll of Atankharzim

After years of development, the Scroll team is pleased to present Part I of this epic campaign.  Featuring 24 mission of epic sci-fi fantasy goodness, this release also includes fiction viewer entries from Sesquipedalian, command briefing animations by mjn.mixael, and contributions from many other HLP members.

Screenshots

Downloads

The campaign is on the FSO Installer and Knossos, or you can download it manually here.  All of the following are required.

Root (540 KB)
Maps 1 (110 MB)
Maps 2 (155 MB)
Models (83 MB)
Other files (414 MB)
Voice (76 MB)

You may want to listen to the audio track that we planned for the intro cutscene.  Download it here.

Known issues:

• Several bugs were present in the original version of the campaign.  These have now been fixed.
  • CT27 has experienced problems with the Khitteb departing in "Irkalla Passes".  I've added some additional sexp logic in the latest release which should hopefully resolve this.  I haven't been able to reproduce the problem myself though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 10:19:11 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I
I can't believe this is finally out! Thanks for the memories, Goob!
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
How many years in development? 15 :P? It's more than half of my life at all... And now one of the most mysterious projects of the HLP is finally released. Congratulations guys!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CKid

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Congrats on the release! Hard to believe that this moment has finally come.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Oh wow. Huge congrats to you and the team Goober, can't wait to give it a play :yes:.

I think I remember this project being advertised when I first joined HLP and I've always looked forward to it coming out. Awesome :).
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Honestly, I never saw this one coming  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations to everyone involved!  :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Okay...
Spoiler:
So far I like what I play. First two missions are a little bit generic and expandable in terms of plot development but later ones are interesting. Asteroids jumping through some unknown node? Very old Knossos device orbiting black hole? Interesting start plus some very good writing and dialogues. It makes my wanting play further. I encountered one bug so far, in Mission M1_02. Nothing happened after attack on third shivan convoy. I mean message about stabilization of the Knossos displayed, but nothing further happened. When I replayed, further messages were present and I was able to complete the mission.

The problem occurs when I try to beat M1_03. What's going on with this mission? I like the initial concept, and proximity sensor script is marvelous. I scanned first batch of freighters, completed scanning of Primary cargo cluster but nothing is happening when I'm done with second cluster. Literally nothing. I tried to scan secondary cluster first, but no matter what I do mission is not progressing any further. Plus sentry guns are insanely annoying, as they are not displayed on proximity sensors.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have updated the first post with the soundtrack to the planned intro cutscene.  Our voice actor did a fantastic job with the narration.  Close your eyes and try picturing it in your mind. :)

Spoiler:
So far I like what I play. First two missions are a little bit generic and expandable in terms of plot development but later ones are interesting. Asteroids jumping through some unknown node? Very old Knossos device orbiting black hole? Interesting start plus some very good writing and dialogues. It makes my wanting play further. I encountered one bug so far, in Mission M1_02. Nothing happened after attack on third shivan convoy. I mean message about stabilization of the Knossos displayed, but nothing further happened. When I replayed, further messages were present and I was able to complete the mission.

m1_02: It's possible that in your first playthrough, Rho wing got hung up somewhere while trying to depart.  If anyone else runs into this, let me know.

Spoiler:
The problem occurs when I try to beat M1_03. What's going on with this mission? I like the initial concept, and proximity sensor script is marvelous. I scanned first batch of freighters, completed scanning of Primary cargo cluster but nothing is happening when I'm done with second cluster. Literally nothing. I tried to scan secondary cluster first, but no matter what I do mission is not progressing any further. Plus sentry guns are insanely annoying, as they are not displayed on proximity sensors.

m1_03: I'll investigate.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A Vasudan campaign set eleven years after the destruction of Capella, The Scroll of Atankharzim offers a rich and dynamic gaming experience.  A fantastic storyline weaves together elements from the highest examples of myth and epic with the science fiction adrenaline of FreeSpace 2.

Okay but what's it about

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't see anything wrong with m1_03.

Spoiler:
Make sure you have explored every area of the depot.  This phase lasts for about nine minutes, whether or not you manage to target every ship.  And if you didn't get the bonus goal, you didn't target every ship. :p

Okay but what's it about

Vasudans.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I don't see anything wrong with m1_03.
Spoiler:
Make sure you have explored every area of the depot.  This phase lasts for about nine minutes, whether or not you manage to target every ship.  And if you didn't get the bonus goal, you didn't target every ship. :p
Spoiler:
So the message about shivan corvette is appearing no matter what I do? I was thinking it's happening if I get too close to sentry.

Anyway no matter what I do, mission is always a failure at debriefing stage so I cannot progress any further. Debriefing is about invaluable scans, gathering of shivan ships, and preparations for closure of the Knossos. I don't know if this is intended, but currently I have no idea what else should I scan o__O. I also have no idea what I already scanned.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:51:12 pm by Nyctaeus »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Spoiler:
So the message about shivan corvette is appearing no matter what I do? I was thinking it's happening if I get too close to sentry.

Spoiler:
Yes, the corvette appears no matter what.

Spoiler:
Anyway no matter what I do, mission is always a failure at debriefing stage so I cannot progress any further. Debriefing is about invaluable scans, gathering of shivan ships, and preparations for closure of the Knossos. I don't know if this is intended, but currently I have no idea what else should I scan o__O. I also have no idea what I already scanned.

Spoiler:
Did you read the debriefing recommendation?  You haven't found what you need to change this outcome.

Remember your mission instructions: It's not just about what you scan, but what you target.  Make sure to target all the different types of ship formations you see.  I suspect you didn't target the group of gas miners.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yes, the corvette appears no matter what.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Did you read the debriefing recommendation?  You haven't found what you need to change this outcome.

Remember your mission instructions: It's not just about what you scan, but what you target.  Make sure to target all the different types of ship formations you see.  I suspect you didn't target the group of gas miners.
Spoiler:
I mean target. There is not much scanning in this mission.

I gave up actually. I tried targetting everything in this mission. Outcome is always the same, no matter if I just stand idle for 8 minute on time-compression or circle like crazy between shivan fighters and sentries and target everything. I guess something is wrong with failure conditionals... Or maybe it's just me, being retarded :P. Anyway I ended up doing suicide run 5 times on shivan fighters. This mission has potential, but it's totally not intuitive. Targeted ships should be marked somehow. I dunno, maybe via different IFF color?

M01_04 has little issue. In theory, we're authorised to use Maxim in this mission but it's not listed in loadout, so we can't actually use it. M01_05 was a real challenge, and I managed to save Mentu cruiser with 6% intengrity. It was anyway mentioned as destroyed in the debriefing. I liked this mission a lot.

I went for ISF branch and enjoyed this. S1_01 is awesome. Arachnas assault has the same issue as M01_04, but with... Helios torpedoes. I managed to fulfill this mission with Trebuchet and Stiletto spam, but this issue is actually more serious. Sekhmet without torpedoes? It affects balance of this mission, but it's still passable.

I'm currently stuck in the middle of nebula, scanning shivan ships... And I can't see a damn thing, because the nebula around me is almost white and dazzle me. I checked nebula poof files, and they are much darker in any external soft. I guess it's actually a bloom shader issue.

So far I have strong felling that Scroll is really well made and solid project, but it wasn't tested at all. Missions are well balanced, interesting in terms of gameplay, and seems to be ready from a long time, but campaign file was assembled in hurry and it wasn't properly tested on newest builds.
Please, tell me this is not related to this recent apocalypse stuff. While I respect your beliefs no matter what, this situation would be... Actually a little bit ludicrous.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Spoiler:
I mean target. There is not much scanning in this mission.

I gave up actually. I tried targetting everything in this mission. Outcome is always the same, no matter if I just stand idle for 8 minute on time-compression or circle like crazy between shivan fighters and sentries and target everything. I guess something is wrong with failure conditionals... Or maybe it's just me, being retarded :P. Anyway I ended up doing suicide run 5 times on shivan fighters. This mission has potential, but it's totally not intuitive. Targeted ships should be marked somehow. I dunno, maybe via different IFF color?

M01_04 has little issue. In theory, we're authorised to use Maxim in this mission but it's not listed in loadout, so we can't actually use it. M01_05 was a real challenge, and I managed to save Mentu cruiser with 6% intengrity. It was anyway mentioned as destroyed in the debriefing. I liked this mission a lot.

I went for ISF branch and enjoyed this. S1_01 is awesome. Arachnas assault has the same issue as M01_04, but with... Helios torpedoes. I managed to fulfill this mission with Trebuchet and Stiletto spam, but this issue is actually more serious. Sekhmet without torpedoes? It affects balance of this mission, but it's still passable.

I'm currently stuck in the middle of nebula, scanning shivan ships... And I can't see a damn thing, because the nebula around me is almost white and dazzle me. I checked nebula poof files, and they are much darker in any external soft. I guess it's actually a bloom shader issue.

So far I have strong felling that Scroll is really well made and solid project, but it wasn't tested at all. Missions are well balanced, interesting in terms of gameplay, and seems to be ready from a long time, but campaign file was assembled in hurry and it wasn't properly tested on newest builds.
Please, tell me this is not related to this recent apocalypse stuff. While I respect your beliefs no matter what, this situation would be... Actually a little bit ludicrous.

Spoiler:
I'm certain it's just you.  I tested m1_03 extensively; in fact I spent almost every spare moment in the entire month of June on it.  I tested all possible mission branches, numerous times.  The only missions where we skimped on testing were m2_01 and m2_02, due to the imminent release.

In m1_03, targeted ships are marked by the little scripting popup that says e.g. "Nandi 1 Recorded".  In order to progress to the next phase, you need to 1) target enough of the cargo containers that Zeta 1 identifies the two formations, 2) target enough gas miners that Zeta 1 comments on them, and 3) scan a SAC 3 after Zeta tells you to.

The reason you don't have the Maxim available in m1_04 is that it's granted upon successful completion of m1_03. :p

Glad you liked m1_05, that was also one of my favorites. :)

Macielos also mentioned the dazzlingly white nebula.  I think this is a SCP issue because he said worked fine in 3.7.4.  It also doesn't appear bright for me, so maybe it has something to do with graphics settings.

If it weren't for the apocalypse stuff, you probably wouldn't even be playing Scroll right now, actually. :)  Deadlines have a way of focusing your efforts.

The disallowed Helios is, in fact, a bug.  I will fix this and upload a new root package.  (EDIT: Done.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:33:22 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Spoiler:
m1-03
I can't get past the part where you're supposed to create a distraction. I get into the secondary cluster, come within 100 meters of a container with a gas miner docked, but the instant I fire my primaries once, the game says "You fired weapons, stealth broken, you failed." I have even tried to use cheats by destroying every patrol fighter and sentry gun, still no luck. Help?
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline CKid

Spoiler:
m1-03
I can't get past the part where you're supposed to create a distraction. I get into the secondary cluster, come within 100 meters of a container with a gas miner docked, but the instant I fire my primaries once, the game says "You fired weapons, stealth broken, you failed." I have even tried to use cheats by destroying every patrol fighter and sentry gun, still no luck. Help?

Stuck in the same spot.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You're right.  I'm seeing the same error myself. :confused:  The mission worked perfectly over extensive testing back in June, so I don't know what could be going wrong.  All I can determine is that the "Distraction Readiness" event isn't working as expected; it isn't detecting that Alpha 1 is in range of the cargo under the proper conditions.

For the time being, I created a modified mission with a "Temporary Hack" event that can be used to bypass it.  Download this, then when you are in range of Secundus 03 while Marduk 3 is docked, hit Alt-A.  This will set the proper variables.  Then you can use the "short, controlled bursts" to destroy the container.  If you prefer using a different miner and container, you can modify the "Temporary Hack" event accordingly.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Thanks, that fixed it for me.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline CKid

Spoiler:
So I'am on the mission "Accidents will Happen" and have come up to a problem. Beta wing is not able to destroy the Corvette because they have no secondaries apart from a few rockeyes. Even if their load-outs in the briefing weren't locked, I don't have access to cyclops warheads.