Author Topic: Unconstructive criticism  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Unconstructive criticism
That's too bad there is no more interest in one of the oldest project in HLP's history. That's it? Four pages of posts?
I'm surprised as well. :sigh:

We do know a lot of people play the mods; FSMods regularly gets 3 TB of traffic per month.  But it appears that those who download and play are not necessarily those who post on the forum.
Top kek. Have you guys been living under a rock? I mean, obviously. Cause if you guys had paid any attention to this mod scene, and the activity releases actually get (Look at recent releases: BTA, JAD), you would be 100% not suprised.
Then again, I'm not suprised that you guys are suprised at this. It's actually very typical lol.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Unconstructive criticism
Spoon, you may have forgotten that I commented at length back when MjnMixael posted about this very same phenomenon as it pertained to BtA. 

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Then why are you suprised? This has been a very long running trend.
And it has been 4 pages of mostly tech support, because after all these years (time you could have spend developing), you decided to rush it out, because you figured the rapture was coming because the stars aligned a certain way. That sounds so dumb when I type it out, but it was actually what happened.
This will just thin out any potential players/commenters because they'll look at the thread, go "seems pretty buggy, I guess I'll wait until its fixed" and then forget about it because there is so much other entertainment to go around.

And hey, how much playing and commenting of other campaign/mod releases have you been doing over these couple of years?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If this sort of contemptible belittling and snarking is what you think passes for playing and commenting on other mods, I have no desire to follow your example.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
If this sort of contemptible belittling and snarking is what you think passes for playing and commenting on other mods, I have no desire to follow your example.

You just have.  :p
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You are clearly confusing snark with contradistinction.  Do show me where I've posted in either the WoD release thread or the WoD II Dev thread, without having played any of it, disparaging the quality of the mod or the character of the mod's creator.

Offline CT27

I did this too Goober so I'm not singling you out, but we were critiqued a while ago in the BWO thread for critiquing the direction of that campaign (saying it could have been released by now for example) but we didn't critique Raven personally did we?

Another point on this matter:  perhaps there's more reports on bug activity because every time there is a new one, it needs a post.  On the other hand, when it comes to praise for a campaign it only really needs to be done once doesn't it?  (For example if I liked the campaign despite finding say three bugs...that would be one 'good' post and three 'negative' ones)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:28:15 pm by CT27 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I was waiting for fixes and recent version is fully enjoyable. Debugging a mod of Scroll size is hard task and require lots of time. This is direct reason why Exile is still sitting on my HD waiting for release from about a year.

No matter how much time it takes to fix a mod, it still fully depends of mod leader when he want to release the project. I think Scroll should be released as "public beta" or something like that when it was actually released, but this is only my opinion. Whatever is driving mod leader to release or not release their project in this particular time... Well, it's not my problem and not a problem of anybody else. I play, I enjoy so I respect time and patience authors put in this. And respect for authors obligates me to respect their reasons, no matter how strange it may be for me.

And I strongly advise you Spoon, to respect this too. What you actually posted is actually not constructive at all, but arrogant in the simplest meaning of this word. Not helpful for Scroll, it's authors and community at all.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I did this too Goober so I'm not singling you out, but we were critiqued a while ago in the BWO thread for critiquing the direction of that campaign (saying it could have been released by now for example) but we didn't critique Raven personally did we?

Now you're just muddling the issue; I should have locked this thread when I split it.  There is a big difference between constructive criticism coming from a desire to see the campaign succeed, which is what I did and have done for BWO, and simply tearing down people and projects through unmitigated negativity.

Another point on this matter:  perhaps there's more reports on bug activity because every time there is a new one, it needs a post.  On the other hand, when it comes to praise for a campaign it only really needs to be done once doesn't it?  (For example if I liked the campaign despite finding say three bugs...that would be one 'good' post and three 'negative' ones)

I have no objection to bug reports.  If the release contains a bug, I want to fix it.  The original point was about the amount of activity following a major release.  Compare the length of release threads nowadays to the length of threads a few years ago.

I was waiting for fixes and recent version is fully enjoyable. Debugging a mod of Scroll size is hard task and require lots of time. This is direct reason why Exile is still sitting on my HD waiting for release from about a year.

Glad to hear it.  As for Exile, if it's waiting for release, then release it!  I'm sure lots of us would rather play an imperfect campaign than no campaign at all.  If there are bugs, then players will find them and report them, just as what happened with Scroll.

No matter how much time it takes to fix a mod, it still fully depends of mod leader when he want to release the project. I think Scroll should be released as "public beta" or something like that when it was actually released, but this is only my opinion. Whatever is driving mod leader to release or not release their project in this particular time... Well, it's not my problem and not a problem of anybody else. I play, I enjoy so I respect time and patience authors put in this. And respect for authors obligates me to respect their reasons, no matter how strange it may be for me.

Well said, and good points.  Fortunately, the additional time has allowed the necessary bugfixes to be added. :)

With that said, I'm locking this thread to prevent further distraction and confusion.