Author Topic: PS2-style PC controller  (Read 7222 times)

PS2-style PC controller
At the moment, I only play racing games on my PS2. The dual analogue stick controls are so much better compared to PC, since you're not limited to four directions at full strength. Recently, though, I got Steam, and with that I'm getting back into PC gaming a lot more, especially since I've beaten every PS2 game from my local library that's worth playing. So I was thinking about getting a console-style controller for my PC. I know that Xbox controllers are far better supported, but I don't like the way they feel to hold. Is there any good PS2 style controllers that have widespread support? I really don't know where to start with this.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Re: PS2-style PC controller
ps3 controllers can work with a little "ps3 controller on PC driver" search, or I hear there are adaptors from ps2-controller-to-usb, which would also work.

You could grab one of the Logitech PS2-style PC gamepads if you can find one.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Demitri

I've got a logic 3 usb game pad. I didn't want to fork out the money for a xbox controller for my PC. Its cheap, cheerful, not particularly flashy but does the job. Cant ask for much more.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

I've got a logic 3 usb game pad. I didn't want to fork out the money for a xbox controller for my PC. Its cheap, cheerful, not particularly flashy but does the job. Cant ask for much more.

I'm looking for a PS2 style controller, with two analogue sticks in the center. Another reason I don't like xBox controllers, the sticks aren't together.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Xbox controller is probably your best bet. You'll get used to the stick arrangement. I actually think it works a little better ergonomically; the 360 controllers are probably the best this generation except for the d-pad.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I am deeply skeptical of both. Especially those horrible original Xbox controllers.  :wtf: But I guess a 360 pad may be too expensive? The wired ones (which you should go for, not wireless) are probably pretty costly.

iunno, I was just looking around the site that Demitri posted. Could you suggest a brand? I haven't looked at Logitech's stuff yet.

EDIT: Cheapest one I saw:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/288

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, the brand I would suggest is the first party wired Microsoft Xbox 360 controller. But it may be too pricey.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
It's like twenty bucks on eBay. It's not too expensive.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I hear there are adaptors from ps2-controller-to-usb, which would also work.

WARNING !!! These adapters won't work very well on windows 7, because of the WHQL thing (I Have 2 of them, and  :mad:). Best to buy a "direct" controller....
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think the ps2 pad is one of the best game pads ever conceived. with a little hacking i bet i could get a stock ps2 pad to work with a pc in a couple of hours.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own

WARNING !!! These adapters won't work very well on windows 7, because of the WHQL thing (I Have 2 of them, and  :mad:). Best to buy a "direct" controller....
That's interesting because I own a PS2 to USB adapter and it seems to work fine in Windows 7.

Offline Topgun

That's interesting because I own a PS2 to USB adapter and it seems to work fine in Windows 7.
32bit? thats probably why.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Personally, though I'm not going to go to a gampad any time soon, I do like Logitech software and hardware. As for the other company (Logic 3, I suppose...), I've never heard of them. In regards to Logic 3, should you decide to buy from them, make sure they even market controllers in the US. If they don't, I wouldn't even give them a second thought. That said, Logitech is probably your best bet, with a good balance between economy and performance.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Kolgena

I think it's impossible to play a racing game without some form of analogue input. It's a shame that you can't steer with mouse in most of the better racing titles. Hence, gamepad/wheel.

I think it's impossible to play a racing game without some form of analogue input. It's a shame that you can't steer with mouse in most of the better racing titles. Hence, gamepad/wheel.

I learned racing with a little tiny joystick. The base was about a 3 in square, the stick was about 5 inches high. Only had two buttons. I have such fond memories of playing old NFS games with that stick, the trigger was set to handbrake and the button on top/back was the horn. I still have it in our basement, but it has one of those stupid gaming plugs that never caught on, so I can't plug it into my computer.

I looked on Ebay, there was only one microsoft Xbox360 Controller that was wired, and it was 30 bucks. I'm trying to give this to my folks to get it for christmas, so I'd prefer something they could just order online instead of bid on.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
or I hear there are adaptors from ps2-controller-to-usb, which would also work.

Correct, I got mine from Game for £10 and it will take any of my PS2 peripherals, (Joystick, Steering wheel, Light gun etc.)

If you owned a PS2 with all these attachements, this would be the best way to go I think!

A quick google for it finds this for $3.95!!!!!!!!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Demitri

I'm looking for a PS2 style controller, with two analogue sticks in the center. Another reason I don't like xBox controllers, the sticks aren't together.
http://www.logic3.com/details/?prod=254

This is the one i have. Don't have a clue about the website, i just google searched and that the first one i came across. As for adapters for actual PS2 gamepads i'd say they ain't worth the money. I got one and was a complete waste of time. Having said that it was quite some time ago so might have improves somewhat
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie