Author Topic: Sins of A Solar Empire: Freespace: The Great War  (Read 6636 times)

Offline vp21ct

Sins of A Solar Empire: Freespace: The Great War
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:07:40 pm by vp21ct »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Sins of A Solar Empire: Freespace: The Great War
we know of it (at least I do  :lol:).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

I wish someone had told me about this earlier :hopping:. Must Try It!
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
I can't get the damn thing to run. According to the game the mod is enabled, but nothing changes.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
this any good?

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Woo! I fixed it. Mod works now.

This mod is still obviously incomplete yet VERY worth it. It takes forever to move the larger ships anywhere, but when they get to where they're going, oh maaaan...

I just recently built a pair of Hades destroyers and used them to cut a bloody swatch through Vasudan space. The Shivan Super Laser animation looks a bit primitive, but still glowy and shiny the way it needs to be. I eagerly anticipate later releases of this mod.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline vp21ct

the guy included a patch that makes the ships much faster. The slow makes some things very interesting.

On a side note, Just had my own personal Operation Thresher, only I was the Vasudans. It took 2 cap ships for the GTA to realize that they weren't going to win and try to get their fleet out of Beta Aquilae. By that Time, I had already parked a fleet at the only jump node leading to terran space. After 3 capital ships and 16 cruiser only barely make it out, and 1 cap and 8 cruisers bite it, I renamed the jump node 'The Gauntlet'.

Very interesting. Sins is primarily multiplayer for me. Anyone up for a game?

Offline vp21ct

What times you on and what terms?

Do to Balance issues (which I have been trying to resolve for midnightjoker, poorly) the shivans should not be a player faction.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
What times you on and what terms?

Do to Balance issues (which I have been trying to resolve for midnightjoker, poorly) the shivans should not be a player faction.

Agreed. Sure, it makes sense in FS1 for two Liliths to beat the snot out of an Orion, but in the mod is just makes gameplay pointlessly frustrating.

Also, encountering neutral pirates in every ****ing bastard system I haven't explored yet--even with piracy turned off--is really fecking annoying.

this any good?
I'd like to tell ya, but my version is only 1.05, and Impulse[their version of Steam] always freezes at the "loading data" screen. Help? :confused:

EDIT: Never mind on the Impulse problem, its just waaaaaaay to slow.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:31:18 pm by carbine7 »
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

My timezone is GMT +1. I could probably play Sunday evenings. I think Shivans could be balanced if we just give them to a weak AI so they exist but don't give any player an unfair advantage. How many people could we possibly get for a multiplayer game. Hopefully one for each faction. HOL,   rogue GTI included.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Agreed. Sure, it makes sense in FS1 for two Liliths to beat the snot out of an Orion, but in the mod is just makes gameplay pointlessly frustrating.

Also, encountering neutral pirates in every ****ing bastard system I haven't explored yet--even with piracy turned off--is really fecking annoying.
I like pirates. I always up the bounty on the empire I'm about to attack then go in after the pirates get beaten off.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline vp21ct

I have been workin on some maps, and have converted Ancient Gifts to have jump nodes. I am working on some more, but having trouble on conventions for them.

So far, the maps I have in the works are:

Equilateral (3player FFA)
War Squared (4player 2v2, FFA)
Clausterphobia (10player FFA)*should be noted that this one has only 3 planets to a player and one jump node each to a single bug 'hub'.

Offline Demitri

Whats the general consensus about Sins? I've been toying with getting it for a while but from what i hear there isn't much to it SP-wise and i don't play online. With that in mind is it worth getting?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline vp21ct

even offline its fun, the AI is very robust, and the mods are endless.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ooo I should check this out!
*does so*

Crashes on enabling the mod. Music cuts out and then a popup window about some minidump appears. Clicking ok ends the thing.
*le sigh*

Edit: fixed by updating to the latest version of the game.

Update: I've never seen a Demon go down so fast! (except maybe that one time in Blue Planet) I had 16 Leviathans, each with 3 Medusa squadrons (but in SoaSE a squadron is just 4 apparently). It was awesome!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:57:42 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh damn why didnt anyone tell me about it ! Damn now i have to reinstall Sisns all over again ! I really have to get my hands on this an play ! :D
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Whats the general consensus about Sins? I've been toying with getting it for a while but from what i hear there isn't much to it SP-wise and i don't play online. With that in mind is it worth getting?
IMHO it's one of the best space-rts in existence. Graphics are beautiful, gameplay is refreshingly original, and can be short (an hour or two for a game) or as long and epic as you want (my longest game is sitting at 7.5 hours, and that was on a single system map). The AI in the game is very scalable and can be make it somewhat easy or very difficult. MP generally isn't my bag but I find the single player in Sins very fun. There isn't an official campaign (yet -it's in the works), but there is enough variety in the stock game to make it interesting for a long time, and the amount of mods for it is insane. The support for it from Stardock is also first rate. Unlike larger companies like EA, they really take player feedback to heart.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:39:15 am by kalnaren »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's not as good as Homeworld, but it's still a fantastic experience, and the best thing to come along since that particular monument of the space-RTS genre.