Author Topic: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 11062 times)

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Re: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 1" Discussion (SPOILERS)
I'm going to have to agree with some previous hypothesis. Baltar said that those who could face death would truly live forever. The people who chose not to volunteer may evacuate to other ships; while the Galactica and the Basestar (with several thousand volunteers) jump in, own the Colony, then go through the black hole and crash on Kobol in the past.

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again. 

That didn't look like several thousand volunteers...

I hope the black hole doesn't create time travel, though. XP

You didn't see the entire hanger deck. They also probably hailed the civ ships and asked for volunteers to be shuttled over.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline iamzack

You could see all the people, though. There were a lot more on the left side.

What good are civilians? Are they gonna train new pilots in 30 minutes or what?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Locutus of Borg

I think most of them know how to hold a gun.

They're not just there to blow up the base, but to retrieve Hera
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
Seeing as all the people we could see in the deck probably aren't enough as it is to crew a ship this size (as we know that Galactica has a crew of approximately 2000 men) we should see it in the constrains of a TV show, as it is probably very hard to get 2000 extras in the set. We should see it as the proportions of the crew who volunteered or not.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Don't forget Adama also conscripted all the mutinous crew from the brig.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline iamzack

It looked like 1.5-2 times as many on the left side. Still doesn't seem like "thousands."
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Nor did it look like All of Galactica's crew was assembled in the launch bay.

So, did anyone else notice, "naked singularity?"  This is not just any black hole.  It shouldn't even be possible.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline iamzack

Does that mean no event horizon?

I thought you couldn't get near a black hole even if you stayed outside the event horizon because the black hole warps space.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep, that's it exactly. At least, that's what Wikipedia says about it. It's at least theoretically possible that these things exist, but noone has yet found one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

In old-form general relativity, a singularity would be a flaw in space-time, a discontinuity, a location of infinite density and space-time curvature.  Black holes cloak that singularity in an event horizon (which should form before the singularity does during stellar collapse) such that, despite all the gross violations of physical law that the singularity seems to imply, none of it matters because it cannot effect the outside universe.  Nothing that happens inside the event horizon can influence anything outside.  Break all the rules you want inside that horizon; no harm, no foul.  That's usually referred to as the Cosmic Censorship Hypothesis.

But, if the singularity is naked, if there is no event horizon...  Well, that's not supposed to happen.  Some quantum gravity theories say it could happen, though.  And I think there may even be a solution... yeah, pretty sure, there is a solution in old-form general relativity where, if the black hole is spinning fast enough, the event horizons collapse and the singularity is exposed.  Depending on what (if any) modern theories of gravitation you buy into, that can be ok (it wouldn't really be a singularity, density would be unable to truly become infinite) or it could be very very WTF.  I mean, what you basically have is a place where the universe ends, and it is exposed for all the world to see.

;7 Man, I'm dying to know where they are taking this.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
Science!

Man, I learn so much in these forums.

Offline Rainman

Remember how Starbuck is the "Harbinger of Death"? We haven't seen her doom humanity yet. And the "parking spot" actually seems really close to the colony i actually think that no matter what the cylons would do to Galactica at that point when its hurtling towards them, controlled or uncontrolled, it will end up smashing into the colony in either one or more parts but will in any case mess it up big time. So it seems logical that htere would be a rescue operation first, it should be covert and be cylon vehicles only to avoid detection. Then when the **** hits the fan galactica jumps in, basestar does too, vipers launch, its a frekin furball and all out combat but the rescue group jumps out, followed by the attack group if it survives. Now that would leave a mixed cylon-human race with Hera, the key to everything, and the whole bright future ahead of them. It's like 4 in the morning here and I'm tired but just wanted to put my thoughts in.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Remember how Starbuck is the "Harbinger of Death"? We haven't seen her doom humanity yet. And the "parking spot" actually seems really close to the colony i actually think that no matter what the cylons would do to Galactica at that point when its hurtling towards them, controlled or uncontrolled, it will end up smashing into the colony in either one or more parts but will in any case mess it up big time. So it seems logical that htere would be a rescue operation first, it should be covert and be cylon vehicles only to avoid detection. Then when the **** hits the fan galactica jumps in, basestar does too, vipers launch, its a frekin furball and all out combat but the rescue group jumps out, followed by the attack group if it survives. Now that would leave a mixed cylon-human race with Hera, the key to everything, and the whole bright future ahead of them. It's like 4 in the morning here and I'm tired but just wanted to put my thoughts in.

The Galactica is definately going down. The Basestar can't come too, that's just stupid. I wouldn't put it past Cavil to try to destroy the fleet in that case. That aside, after the Galactica is gone, the Basestar is their only defense...

Really, it all depends on how much firepower Cavil has.

Remember how Starbuck is the "Harbinger of Death"? We haven't seen her doom humanity yet.

Well, in "Guess What's Coming to Dinner," they implied "Harbinger of Death" may have referred to Kara facilitating the destruction of the Resurrection Hub by bringing about the alliance between the Fleet and the Rebel Baseship. The "end" of humanity she's leading them to may not be all bad.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Remember how Starbuck is the "Harbinger of Death"? We haven't seen her doom humanity yet.

Well, in "Guess What's Coming to Dinner," they implied "Harbinger of Death" may have referred to Kara facilitating the destruction of the Resurrection Hub by bringing about the alliance between the Fleet and the Rebel Baseship. The "end" of humanity she's leading them to may not be all bad.

But it'd be weird to have Hybrids (like on Sam Anders) still referring to her as the 'Harbinger of Death' if that wasn't going to mean something.

Offline Locutus of Borg

Find a world fit for the end of Kara Thrace?
We are the Borg

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Snagger

[

But it'd be weird to have Hybrids (like on Sam Anders) still referring to her as the 'Harbinger of Death' if that wasn't going to mean something.
It's the Cylons who holde her as the harbinger of death, not the humans, so perhaps she'll do something that destroys the Cylons and saves the humans?

The black hole will probably play a role in the colony's destruction - Galactica just needs to nudge the colony into it.