Author Topic: R1, R2, R3, oh my! (cheesey? yes...)  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
R1, R2, R3, oh my! (cheesey? yes...)
i heard (somewhere) that before you guys do R2 of inferno, you are going to remake R1. is that true? and anyway, what does that mean? remake models? redo levels? (voice acting? :D )

[edit] ok, all that is obsolete. i just read a post saying that, yes, you ARE making a new R1 :) and will release it at the same time as R2, making the current R1 somewhat obsolete (no! 130 megs downloaded for NOTHING! ;) . so.. when is R2 due? (will look for post explaining that as well...)[/edit]

also, while im here, i have a problem

im on medium difficulty, using hte inferno build, and im suddenly having a problem on the mission 'Nemisis' when you.. well, are aiming to destroy the nemisis :nervous: (havnt finished it, i dont know the outcome yet) and thats my problem. the first few times i played that level, i either died or lost to many ships (i suck at this game... and at all games, really... :( ) so failed. then, just the other day, it started getting borked. whenever the first wave of enemy fighters jumps in, about a second passes, and as soon as the subspace hole closes, the game goes black, (but sound, not music, stays) and then just crashes to desktop without an explaination. it keeps doing this...
what am i doing wrong? im REALLY confused about this... and i wanna finish inferno! :p
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 09:51:18 pm by 2241 »
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: R1, R2, R3, oh my! (cheesey? yes...)
After we released the retail R1 version, and with the arrival of the SCP, we decided we could do better and we also wanted to take advantage of some SCP features. To do this from R2 onwards would of made R1 look strange compared to later releases.
We first were just doing a general upgrade, now it's a total remake.

All the weapons have been replaced and each faction has a special weapon type (eg the EA have railguns) all weapons are faction specific, and each faction has a full weapon list (even the Vasudans this time)
The models take advantage of glowpoints and glowmaps and have other little tweaks to them, as well as some models being increased in polycount.
All the old missions are scrapped and a new mission set is being worked on.
New music track Frantic has been added.
Lots of new sound effects.
New ships, New stations and some cool stuff ;7
Customised SCP build required to play (note this is not a standard INF_Build like the old ones Phreak used to do now and again)
Our custom builds main changes:
Max spawn weapon type increased
AI fire rate on lower difficulties increased
Subsystem limit bumped
Some ani limits bumped
Persona limit bumped
Plus the standard INF_Build changes

The next release is a new chapter 1, and chapter 2, it's not really a R2, nor is it a R1 remake for that matter.

Originally posted by Grimloq
im on medium difficulty, using hte inferno build, and im suddenly having a problem on the mission 'Nemisis' when you.. well, are aiming to destroy the nemisis :nervous: (havnt finished it, i dont know the outcome yet) and thats my problem. the first few times i played that level, i either died or lost to many ships (i suck at this game... and at all games, really... :( ) so failed. then, just the other day, it started getting borked. whenever the first wave of enemy fighters jumps in, about a second passes, and as soon as the subspace hole closes, the game goes black, (but sound, not music, stays) and then just crashes to desktop without an explaination. it keeps doing this...
what am i doing wrong? im REALLY confused about this... and i wanna finish inferno! :p

Did you change exes or install any new media vp files?

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
no. THIS problem started only popping up when nothing new happened. i HAVE changed some VP files, (the new media VP) but this happened before that

im using the MOD commandline. oh, and i DID change the .exe once, but then i switched back to play inferno (inf build -> 3.6 -> inf build). then it went werid. i think its a bug in either the mission, the .exe, or the subspace model...

BTW, im gonna start a new topic real quick, those of you who see this may wanna check it out :) i think it will interest you guys...

*likes VERY MUCH what he heard about the NEW R1 :) *

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Did you run a more up to date launcher when you switched to 3.6?

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
ive always used 'launcher 5'.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Some of the old INF Builds might need v4...

If your on mission 14 does it work in the 3.6 exe you switched from?

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
*slaps head* theres no HTL-sensitive stuff in that mission, is there?

no, i havnt tried it at all. will do so later today :) *is working right now.. or, is SUPPOSED to be...*

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Some people say the Earth model might not show, but the mission should still be playable.

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
the earth model IMO is a waste of space... a background would work fine.

it flickers cuz the polys are too big. its kinda annoying...

oh well, i can live without it :)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Nah the 256^2 Earth bg file we bundled in R1 wouldn't look good from that distance.

The current Earth model is an uber HTL model, so it looks nice and round up close :)

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
256?? icky! :p

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Just checked it was 500^2, still would look bad from that close though.
R1 was pre-SCP so there was no super high res effects.

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
oh, yeah...