Author Topic: BWs Civvy props - Acropolis Dock, Cargo platform, Gas Ring  (Read 11241 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
BWs Civvy props - Acropolis Dock, Cargo platform, Gas Ring
[EDIT]See here for the Cargo Platform.
[EDIT2]See here for the Gas Ring.

In the spirit of the season, and several other recent events re: releasing non-critical assets, I figured I'd throw this thing out there for public consumption:

[ [ [DOWNLOAD] ] ]

The GTDk Acropolis is, to all intents and purposes, a small version of the GTI Ganymede capital ship drydock. Designed as a fighter storage unit, the Acropolis is capable of locking down fighters within its ring, allowing fighters to be safely left within its confines indefinitely. They are also favoured during the construction or modification of small batch fighters in orbital construction yards.

Made it ages ago for something or other, it's getting used in TI, but a few things lately have caused a slight relaxation in the policy regarding exclusivity of non-critical assets. So here you go. Don't know if anyone's ever wanted anything like this, but I find it very useful for placing around installations and shipyards and such to add to the sense of place, a certain gritty functionality. As usual with ost of my stff, no normals, no LoDs. I should really learn how to do that stuff one day.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:29:17 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: GTDk Acropolis Release
Looks good. I'm thinking this would also be good for smaller shipyards and places like that where a fully-fledged fighter bay would be too expensive or otherwise infeasible.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, it does have 2 dockpoints - the purpose being that the docking ring could eb attached to a larger ship, and ussed to move non-jump capable fighters through subspace, so that's kinda similar.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I remember this; new model i see, looks really good. :)

Apprechiate you releasing it; to my knowledge there's no other models like this (fighter storage bay), so its nice there's a model there to fill that niche when people need them. Imagine a lot of pirate groups in campaigns by others and by me will be glad to have somewhere to put their ships now too. :lol:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This thing is cool. I really like the idea of ambient shiplife and scenery around installations.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Very, very nice. Extremely useful for fredders. We need more utility stuff like this.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Looks Imperial.

Apart from that, Battuta summed up my thoughts.

Very, very nice. Extremely useful for fredders. We need more utility stuff like this.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!

I know, and agree. I have more in the pipeline, mostly for Frontlines and TI, but it'd be nice if I weren't the only one. Come on people! We need dockyards, and cargo platforms, and tugs, and tenders, and  mining drones, and customs stations, and research outposts, and drydocks, and freighters! Lots and lots of freighters! And transports, and shuttles, and cargo containers, and courier ships, and... stuff! Lotsa random, cool, useful, civillian stuff! Your FREDders will love you for it.

Seriously, all of my civvy stuff has been created solely because I reach a point in a mission where I think "I really need this particular, specific piece of infrastructure", and so off I go and make it. There must have been hundreds of times when FREDders who can't also mod get to that point and then just have to stop because there's nothing for them to use. We should consider doing something about that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:54:18 am by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That reminds me. That construction robot seen in the Colossus cutscene. Did anyone ever make it?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not AFAIK. :(
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Shame...

;7

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

I know, and agree. I have more in the pipeline, mostly for Frontlines and TI, but it'd be nice if I weren't the only one. Come on people! We need dockyards, and cargo platforms, and tugs, and tenders, and  mining drones, and customs stations, and research outposts, and drydocks, and freighters! Lots and lots of freighters! And transports, and shuttles, and cargo containers, and courier ships, and... stuff! Lotsa random, cool, useful, civillian stuff! Your FREDders will love you for it.

Seriously, all of my civvy stuff has been created solely because I reach a point in a mission where I think "I really need this particular, specific piece of infrastructure", and so off I go and make it. There must have been hundreds of times when FREDders who can't also mod get to that point and then just have to stop because there's nothing for them to use. We should consider doing something about that.

..Satellites...
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline peterv

It's good as a model and even better as an idea  :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well if you hit a point in a mission where you don't have an asset to fill a role you either change the mission or get creative, like Derelict did with its asteroid base. You don't just give up. More preexisting stuff is always welcome, though.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why the "Dk" if the Ganymede has "I" on its name? :)

Other than that, interesting model. As Battuta said we need more stuff of this kind. :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well it's tiny. Not exactly an installation. The Arcadia was named an installation (as opposed to a space station) for its size, among other things.

Well if you hit a point in a mission where you don't have an asset to fill a role you either change the mission or get creative, like Derelict did with its asteroid base.

Or you could search other mods, total conversions, modeldumps, freespacemods and other sites. There's enough of everything in different styles to make several new factions (species?), and probably a few more with simple reskins.

P.S. The above post is NOT meant to discourage from building new models, especially civilian/utility ones.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well if you hit a point in a mission where you don't have an asset to fill a role you either change the mission or get creative, like Derelict did with its asteroid base.

Or you could search other mods, total conversions, modeldumps, freespacemods and other sites. There's enough of everything in different styles to make several new factions (species?), and probably a few more with simple reskins.

P.S. The above post is NOT meant to discourage from building new models, especially civilian/utility ones.

Right, when I said 'don't have an asset to fill a role' I meant 'can't find one, either.' But yes.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Well, yes, you can look, but I guarantee you there's stuff that just doesn't exist in them - see if you can find a fighter dock anywhere other than this, for a vey obvious example. And beides, not everyone can turn a model from a dump into a functional pof. even fewer can turn an untextured model into a funcional pof. Those of us who can should, IMO, make the effort to do it for the most useful stuff some of the time, rather than neccesarily the most impressive stuff.

Not to slight those people who've made the destroyers and juggernauts and whatnot, but there are lots of them (at varying levels of quality I'll grant), and very few, for example, small installations (although this has improved over the last few years). Hell, there are few small anything.

Ah, never mind. If people want to make civvy stuff, they will. In the meantime, I've got a new cargo platform coming up, and a gas cannister, and possibly the tug to go with it, although that still needs a lot of texture work. We'll see how it goes.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Not to mention the fact that many models have become obsolete over the years, and using them now would result in complaints. Therefore, fresh models are always welcome. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]