Author Topic: Conscience in video games?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Conscience in video games?
I'm somewhat interested in seeing were taking the most humorous dialog choices in KotOR would lead me.  I remember some of the funnier ones being more towards the dark side.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Well, I sometimes do the dark path out of curiosity on a second playthrough of such games. As for FS wingmen, if I can't leave early, neither can they. Usually a lot of empty red circles at the end of a mission.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I was just wondering if any of you sometimes feel bad when you do something that can be perceived as cruel in a video game, or am I just being silly?

I purposely gib the terrorists and gangsters in Soldier of Fortune, so....

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I was just wondering if any of you sometimes feel bad when you do something that can be perceived as cruel in a video game, or am I just being silly?

I throw small animals at walls hard enough to destroy the walls in Crysis
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I make the animals walk up the walls and glide through the air. :D

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I like how Mass Effect dropped the whole "Good" vs "Evil" and went with "Pretentious Nice Guy" vs "Dick."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I can't stand being the evil guy.  Even when I try to to get acheivments on 360.  I'm running along, shooting everyone, just to get my karma down and then whoops, I just disarmed the Megaton city bomb.  Gigantic good karma boost.  I can't stay evil in that game, no matter how hard I try :(

Same with Kotor, both of them. 

Mass Effect is different.  Sometimes I do the Renegade things because of a slip up with buttons.  Then I find out you get more Paragon OVERALL by doing several good things as a result of a Renegade choice than the Paragon choice to begin with.  The only exception is at the end where
Spoiler:
you choose whether to save the council or not.  I always just let the bastards burn.
but I still have to choose the half-way nice option.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Sometimes I'll leave a few enemies alive. Like they aren't any threat, so I just let them live. I could mow them down, but what would it do?

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I kill anything that can be killed.  And then hack the game so that everything can be killed.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
In Oblivion, I found two women living peacefully in a chapel in the middle of the woods.

They were my very first murder victims.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I kill anything that can be killed.  And then hack the game so that everything can be killed.

I did end up killing everyone in Morrowind when I was done with it. And I do mean everyone.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I did manage to scare the hell out of my friends once by cackling maniacally as I torched innocent civilians in Syndicate. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
In games where there's character development done well I tend to care a lot for my characters, or really any game which named characters. My worst is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and GRAW2, my mum's given me many, many weird looks from the kitchen when she catches me shouting at the screen. I don't try to do the morally right thing, just the logically right thing, which usually is the morally right thing in most RPGs. Mass Effect being one of them.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I haven't heard of this game,
Adrift is a text-adventure game platform that allows people to create and share their own adventures. For the record, the adventure I was playing at the time is here. :)

I have an example from the other end of the spectrum, too; when I play games like Need For Speed or Midtown Madness I usually don't care about the traffic cars if I smash into them. In Midtown Madness especially, it's hilarious to hear the drivers yelling things at you when you crash into or otherwise interfere with their trip. ;)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, but once the characters become 3-D I start to care a lot.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Fallout 1, Childkiller title........cathartic release of stress buildup caused by crying toddlers on buses.

IE- being bad in games = not being bad in RL. :yes:

Also is fun ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I don't really enjoy being a bastard in games, but in things like RPGs where you're invited to create a character I tend to roleplay personalities very different from my own. I already know what I might do in a given situation. So I find it far more interesting to invent than to project. They tend to be a mixed bag, but I never play a perfect goody-two-shoes - that ****'s boring.

But yeah, I feel uncomfortable doing anything morally bankrupt. If it fits my character, though, that's what I'll do. By the same token I'll never do anything that doesn't.

Half the fun of those games for me is trying to form a compelling three-dimensional personality for my character over the course of the story. The Baldur's Gate series and NWN2/MotB are particularly good for this because the extended narrative allows for some interesting character arcs.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

I throw small animals at walls hard enough to destroy the walls in Crysis

I'm pretty sure that the animal doesn't lose a leg, and start wailing in pain as it crawls its way away from me. (No, joke. This happens in the game.) :nervous:

---

Fallout 1, Childkiller title........cathartic release of stress buildup caused by crying toddlers on buses.

Damned Brits, getting the real thing. The U.S. release removed child-killing.  :(

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I did manage to scare the hell out of my friends once by cackling maniacally as I torched innocent civilians in Syndicate. :p

Must admit, I was the same, Citizens were often collateral damage, or, on occasion, comic relief ;)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Worshipers need food!"  :mad:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...