Author Topic: [Split] Interpersonal affairs  (Read 6511 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
[Split] Interpersonal affairs
Sooooo beautiful~ <3

Are you going to apologize, or is your commitment to civility one-way

Note: topic split from SR Eyecandy Thread.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:00:30 am by Mobius »

Sooooo beautiful~ <3

Are you going to apologize, or is your commitment to civility one-way

:confused:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You told an SCP coder with a bunch of commits that they 'don't contribute'.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Afaik the individual mentioned here is a tester. He's not badged here nor ranked on Discord. I'm not aware about any significant contributions he commited, but also I never checked his activity in this regard and neither was interested in.

Okay guys, sit down, do 3 or 4 breaths and continue this in designated sandpit if you wish. Eyecandy is not a place for dramas. Not on my watch. Any derailing content in Eyecandy won't be split anymore, but straightforward deleted.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I honestly thought we were in the other thread, oops.

Still! Point stands. This was the post I was challenging — 

i thought this was fair enough but the fact that these aren't official award categories and you actually placed number 161 and had to basically restrict the selection to find any reason to call yourself number 1 is really pretty pathetic :/

LMFAO, says a guy who does not contribute :wakka: :wakka:

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I would be surprised, that anyone here on HLP is apologizing, or that someone would accept an apology in the first place  :D
As my impression is, that everyone seems to be for themselves :o
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: [Split] Interpersonal affairs
Just FYI, Phantom Hoover did recently contribute a lot to the SCP project in general. Not only the aforementioned glide/thrust issues, but also notably for me, he currently basically leads the investigation into game performance degrading over mission replays. It is extremely unfair to call him not contributing.

In fact, it is risky and unfair to assume any member of the community is "not contributing", as you have no way of knowing whether the member in question is not working on a project, assisting other community members or even just providing feedback without mentioning that publicly.

Also, should we really make an opinion less valued just because they don't contribute? The viewpoint of an outsider might be important to consider too.

I personally decided to just comment this in an encouraging fashion and wait with my personal opinion until the awards are fully disclosed.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
wait with my personal opinion until the awards are fully disclosed.

Positions 101+ are frozen and pretty much settle what's been said in the other thread, regardless of the final ranking of Crossfire (the 2015 Freelancer mod that ranks 1st in the Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi genre). If anything I'd personally be even happier if Crossfire ended up in the Top 10 after the second contest which, as I said at least two times, is now restricted to Top 100 mods and doesn't change any of the statements which have been already verified by ModDB's administrationship.

Now, if you are somehow saying we are making stuff up and are hereby waiting for "verification", it's your problem.  :rolleyes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I am not. I have merely suggested that I am withholding publicly commenting on the result itself until it's been officially disclosed (which is reasonable to say that it has been, in case of Series Resurrecta).
For one, that's because I'm not necessarily personally invested into the project, therefore I'm not anticipating the results with extreme fascination, but that's a "me" thing. I understand the feelings you have towards the project and its reception, that you absolutely need reassurance that your creation is done well and  That's why I have a couple more reasons.

For two, given the nature of the announcement and quite low amount of interest in the genre (thus: scarce competition), I imagined that such an event might happen and I refrained from preemptively accepting and commenting on any results to not fuel the flames of uncivilised discussion.

Three, I am of a general belief that such awards are a contest of popularity, not quality. Therefore I have decided that if I wanted to check whether the mod is worthy of awards, I would simply download and play it. Popular vote means nothing more than a suggestion to me.

Four, I wanted to have a full picture of what this mod has competed with and also how did these stack up against each other, not only a dry three digit number. I have decided that I won't waste time to sit there and be anxious about how it all turns out, and instead I will just browse through the category this mod was submitted in once everything is revealed. Also, a much, much important number for me would be exactly how many votes it got.

And ultimately, I absolutely disagree with general battuta and phantom hoover in terms of their approach to your happiness of recognition by a wider audience and self-realisation. While I find publishing such results preemptively... a tad distasteful, I am quite disgusted by the attacks you (and presumably - your team) were experiencing in that topic. Robbing your happiness.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I am not. I have merely suggested that I am withholding publicly commenting on the result itself until it's been officially disclosed (which is reasonable to say that it has been, in case of Series Resurrecta).
For one, that's because I'm not necessarily personally invested into the project, therefore I'm not anticipating the results with extreme fascination, but that's a "me" thing. I understand the feelings you have towards the project and its reception, that you absolutely need reassurance that your creation is done well and  That's why I have a couple more reasons.

It is unlikely that more details on rankings will be revealed; I've been in touch with ModDB's founder and he states that detailed statistics are no longer shown to the public, though they were however shown during past editions of MotYA. They provided the info because we requested it and claimed they were fine with public pimping, but other than this, we are unlikely to get some "expanded scoreboard" or similar stuff. Once again, it's not my problem if people don't trust the SerRes Team and debate over the genuineness of these claims - I think ModDB's founder should be considered a quite reliable source. Let's not forget that he has also approved the news article showing the exact same content as the one shown on the other thread.

Three, I am of a general belief that such awards are a contest of popularity, not quality. Therefore I have decided that if I wanted to check whether the mod is worthy of awards, I would simply download and play it. Popular vote means nothing more than a suggestion to me.

If you say so I assume you haven't read one of my comments on the other thread; this is not about "being the best FreeSpace campaign ever" but doing a great job on a platform where FreeSpace doesn't get the pimping it deserves and, despite the odds and the overwhelming competition, still coming out with outstanding results. MotYA is a MoDB contest, not a HLP contest, and I believe everyone here is smart enough to understand the difference. If you've come here to underline the nature of similar contests and claim that they don't point to absolute quality, you're not adding anything tangible and meaningful to this discussion.

If you don't have a ModDB account for your mod, it can't be voted. If you don't update it frequently enough to keep the fans' attention on it constant, it will not get that many votes. The nature of the contest is intrinsically tied to the effort required to maintain an active ModDB profile. Again, ModDB. There's no independent committee analyzing all mods of all games, so don't expect some stranger to come on HLP and get a full list of all campaigns because he has to play through them all and "choose a winner". It's up to the people, the fans, to vote for whatever mod they want and it turns out SerRes was the most voted Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi mod released in 2020.

See, under normal circumstances, this news would get the opposite feedback it got. We have promoted FreeSpace modding in a context other than HLP, so the standard drill wouldn't normally match the absurdities we have seen in these two threads. I honestly believe the community's support for SerRes and other recently developed campaigns is far more genuine than what we've read over here. We have seen overreactions from several community members because they injected "interpersonal affairs" into the equation.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
FYI all FS mods accounted on ModDB participy in the contest by the mere fact of being registered. I've seen Procyon Insurgency, The Antagonist and Shadow Genesis on the list. Some of them like BP still had a chance to be included in 2020 release of the year cathegory due to the fact of being constantly updated. That's why Crossfire was also allowed to contest.

The position of SR comes from the fact that our team invested some effort into promoting SR in the contest and SR page on ModDB are one of few [among FS mods] that's still being updated. The fact that other mod teams didn't commence such actions does not exclude other mods from contest.

So yeah, our position comes from the fact that other teams doesn't care about ModDB much. But it still does not diminish our efforts at promoting SR in the contest, nor all the hard work we put into the project... So what? The little things we won, we won legitimately. And I think SR, as modding debut was worth the votes.

It may be a small win, with small smiles it caused on our faces. We never expected even Top100, being the niche community modding niche game. I doubt if even the largest mods here like Inferno or BP would realistically count on some very high note, if they decide to invest serious efforts into the contest. Meanwhile we counted on small victory important mostly for us, and we achieved what we counted on. People expressing naysaying opinions sounds like expectations of SR team are disproportionate towards the reallity.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yeah if you take a look at Twisted Infinities' profile on ModDB, for instance, it doesn't even mention the release of this mod, which occurred a while ago. These profiles are not self-maintained and uploading stuff, as well as answering to sporadic fan comments, requires time and effort.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It may be a small win, with small smiles it caused on our faces. We never expected even Top100, being the niche community modding niche game. I doubt if even the largest mods here like Inferno or BP would realistically count on some very high note, if they decide to invest serious efforts into the contest. Meanwhile we counted on small victory important mostly for us, and we achieved what we counted on. People expressing naysaying opinions sounds like expectations of SR team are disproportionate towards the reallity.

Hmmm

On behalf of the SerRes Team I'm proud to announce to the public the astounding results of Series Resurrecta in ModDB's Mod of the Year Awards, 2020 Edition.

As you all probably know, this is a rather niche genre so we did not expect an overall major result in a world that is dominated by RTS and FPS games, but within the Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi genre, we achieved the following results. Again, thanks for voting SerRes!

1) Best Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi Mod of the Year released in 2020;

2) Second Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi Mod of the Year, right behind Crossfire, a 2015 Freelancer mod;

3) Best Mod of the Year based on the FreeSpace Open Engine;

4) Overall, 161st out of 43,950 mods hosted by the website;

This does sound a bit disproportionate to the reality to me. If something is 'astounding' it doesn't sound like something you exepected. There is no 'Best [whatever] Released in 2020' category; that's just adding filters until you're in a category of one. "Right behind Crossfire" isn't true in terms of absolute vote counts. There is no "Best Mod of the Year based o the FreeSpace Open Engine' category; that's just adding filters until you're in a category where you have the most votes.

Creating categories to declare yourself winner in is vain and silly. Placing 161 out of such a huge mod pool is actually cool and testament to an effective outreach campaign, even if I haven't seen any evidence it wasn't just HLP discord voting.

I agree with your post but it doesn't match the quoted post at all.

I'm just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing at this point, since I'm irritated you decided to call it 'naysaying'. We've already had all the conversation that needs to be had on this topic at this point.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Also I have no idea what your mod is about. You need a log line.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
We've created an entire FS Wiki portal which is linked both here and on ModDB. You can find detailed stuff such as why ship XXX has its name and where it comes from; the info is well within the reach of all users.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, but you still need a log line. I'm not interested in finding out details until I have a hook (this is how readers in general behave).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
All basic details are available right where they're supposed to.  :nod:

You can't read the announcement thread without taking a look at this board and, in a similar fashion, you can't stumble on the news article we posted on ModDB without reading basic information concerning the mod.

Both interfaces are set in a way that makes learning more about SR very easy.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Í
You can't read the announcement thread without taking a look at this board

RIP

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
SR, from limbo to release
At what point does it become "too late" to release a mod or project? One week, a couple of months, three years? What about 4965 days, 22 hours, 1 minute, and 53 seconds? Well, listen to Series Resurrecta's story. On March 13th, 2007, at precisely 10:22pm, I started working on a campaign that was meant to be an unofficial expansion for Inferno Alliance Standalone, the upgrade to the main INFA release which was also meant to feature a number of satellite campaigns, each with its own story.

Many years have passed since then, and so many things have happened. Recently, I managed to recover these old files and save them from oblivion. Soon afterwards, I also managed to group a team of devoted contributors, and we worked together on getting this stuff in working conditions. Now, what has officially become the SerRes Team is proud to announce the release of two campaigns, Gehenna's Gate and The Spirit of Ptah, plus the modpack which will serve as root for future releases. You're right - this is just the beginning of this "resurrection" effort!

What's in SerRes-1.0.6?
The first release of SR features two campaigns, Gehenna's Gate [GehG] and The Spirit of Ptah [TSoP], as well as the main SR modpack, which will be shared by future releases. Both campaigns are grouped under the Shadows of the Great War brand.

What's featured?
- Two campaigns, comprised of 14 missions;
- Revamped versions of pre-existing models;
- Detailed fiction texts adding extra lore to the FreeSpace continuity;
- Exclusive soundtracks created by professional artists;

Download

(Please note that the ModDB version may not be up to date, and its installation may result in a number of issues.)

Recommended FSO Builds
SerRes-1.0.0 has been tested to work properly on the latest Nightlies, released in October. Earlier builds may expose bugs. Nightly 20201015+ is recommended.

Credits

Author and Mission Designer: Mobius

Asset Design: Nyctaeus
Testers: Admiral Nelson, Aspidochelone, Fusion, lordhood117, Nightmare, Nyctaeus
Exclusive music: Bloodstalker, Daddy Warhol / Electric Trojan, Georgios Savvinidis, Rich Douglas
Proofreaders: Admiral Nelson, Iain 'Nomad' Baker, lordhood117

Additional contributions:
Admiral Nelson (Command Briefing ANIs, table polishing)
Aspidochelone (Modpack improvements)
Nyctaeus (Loading screens, banners, modpack and model improvements)
Wistler (Testing support)
Wombat (Testing support)

Additional credit goes to development teams behind Scroll of Atankharzim and Ancient-Shivan War for some of the CB animations used in this modpack. MjnMixael also helped out in the effort. Community member Black Wolf is to be credited for the set of Vasudan anis.

Finally, very special thanks to Woomeister who supported the creation and development of unofficial INFASA minicampaigns back in the day.

Updates
1.0.6 - minor bug and packaging issues.
1.0.5 - same as below.
1.0.4 - packaging issue solved.
1.0.3 - more fixes to HUD issues.
1.0.2 - packaging issue solved.
1.0.1 - fix for a reported scaling HUD issue with specific resolutions.

So, uh, what's this mod about?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I always wanted to have such thing. This is the place where all of the updates regarding our upcoming projects set withing SR setting will be congregated. Usually with some [I hope so] pretty pictures or walls of text? Well, we will see.

The first post of this development blog is also available on the Official Series Resurrecta Profile on ModDB.

I'm Nyx, right? My job is to keep things shiny :]. So I have several shiny things for you!

I'm happy to announce, that development of third campaign set within the setting of Series Resurrecta is being launched. Although we still work on improvements on Gehenna's Gate and The Spirit of Ptah, we also have modpack required for the third installment mostly assembled. Mobius begun freding of M01, and in the meantime I assemble some cosmetic things which are not critical but certainly nice to have :].

The title of the next campaign is classified, but so far I will refer to this project as: Srdp

I can officially reveal, that the next campaign will feature several, original factions. Some of them are canon, others are not. Some of them are terran, others are not. The first two I can reveal are: Adhara Coalition - one of major, terran blocks formed after the collapse of GTA. Player character is a pilot in service of Adharan Navy, onboard ACD Uhuru. The second faction is Regulus Syndicate. As a small reminder, both are canon to Freespace universe just like Luyten New Alliance and Antares Federation.

One of the staples of Series Resurrecta is large and fancy modpack, featuring several, new, carefully picked classes of starships. Srdp is no different in this regard, and as your local provider of polygons covered in shiny bitmaps, I feel obliged to not disappoint you :].

So let's start with Adhara Coalition assets:

So, uh, what's this mod about?