Author Topic: Rationale of the Earth Alliance  (Read 8099 times)

Offline CT27

Rationale of the Earth Alliance
Why exactly did the EA begin the war with the GTVA (it's been years since I played the original Inferno, but IIRC as soon as the Sol Gate was finish the EA stormed through and begun to attack the GTVA)?  Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Re: Rationale of the Earth Alliance
Perhaps they say the GTVA as a threat.
Imagine yourself as the EA: extremely paranoid, extremely militaristic, fresh off a brutal civil war that took decades and billions of lives. You finally achieve some sort of stability, and now these newcomers arrive? You fight.

Also, the GTVA did manage to send an expeditionary fleet, but the EA destroyed them, then started their attack.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Maybe the Expedition force was with Vasudan ships? I think the Vasudans are still the enemy...

I think the EA and NTF share some similiraties in it. "Vasudans weaken the Terran race" or something like that.

Or the expedition fleet was "too" powerful and consists of warships that can maybe a threat. I think a nearly unarmed ship like a Science cruiser were a better choice. But i think the GTVA provoke an attack with their numerous presence near earth. If the new jump node was still near earth like in the ending cutscene... think about it. How would you react if an unknown fleet of battle ships show up right in front of your homeplanet?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:52:00 pm by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
We plan to explore the reason behind the EA's aggressiveness towards the GTVA.

R

Offline Luis Dias

because gamefun.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Because zodsmustdie.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CT27

I will admit maybe the GTVA shouldn't have sent in heavy warships to be a 'first contact' with the EA, but once the EA saw they were Terran ships shouldn't they have at least asked "What's going on?" rather than make war with the GTVA the first choice?

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
because headz.

About the actual issue this does remind me of the mongols.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:02:59 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline CT27

"because headz"?

What is that supposed to mean and what does it have to do with the topic?

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Its a brainwashing propaganda short dating back to the great war, revealed only to a few select Terran pilots.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
"because headz"?

What is that supposed to mean and what does it have to do with the topic?
"headz" was the name of an outtake Silent Threat short video showing a Vasudan stocking Terran heads in his fridge.

In this context, this is just used as a shortcut to designate an anti-Vasudan motivation for the EA.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
It's not just an anti-Vasudan motivation, it's an anti-everything that's not EA motivation. In a system so ravaged by civil war, it's the only thing that worked for them.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline CT27

What would the EA have done with the Vasudan pilots who got trapped in Sol with the rest of the strike force that attacked the Lucifer?

Offline mr.WHO

I will admit maybe the GTVA shouldn't have sent in heavy warships to be a 'first contact' with the EA, but once the EA saw they were Terran ships shouldn't they have at least asked "What's going on?" rather than make war with the GTVA the first choice?

Yeah, like this ended well for UEF in Blue Planet:
- GTVA ships jump into Sol
- UEF: Hi guys what's up?
- <lazooorrsss>

EA actualy did a very smart by "shoot first, ask questions when you have at least 3-4 system buffer zone between GTVA and Sol".
EA is actually UEF with balls, HUGE BALLS and lazors and railguns and dozens of destroyers and 20 km large super Juggernaut.

Offline Luis Dias

None of which are remotely inspired by "reality" IMHO. BP is justified by its futuristic usage of ultra-complex forecasting of politics and "psychohistorical" projections they had which all indicated disaster would be in their way if they didn't strike first (thus basically saying to the viewer "Yeah we know this preemptive strike is absolutely inhuman and stupid, but TRUST US we know better"), but INFERNO never really justifies it rather than just being badass and cruel at it. It's campy and simple. I like it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They're pissed somebody opened the door that was keeping the Shivans out.

(I've always wanted to see an interpretation of Earth as the paranoid guy with a gun in both hands, staring into the dark, convinced the rest of the universe is gone.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mr.WHO

Note that Alpha Centauri is just 4 ly from Sol, so I think that both sides tried some sub light communication with each other. GTVA constitution grants all power in human space to GTVA, while from EA point of view GTA should be under their control. I don't think that both sides would not appreciate it. It's like USA constitution would grand US power over Great Britain while GB still tread USA as it's province.

IMO EA would know at least about NTF uprising and might see GTVA as incompetent and weak, so in their view they actually might doing this to sake of human kind, not because they like war. (if it's accurate in both old and new Inferno Vasudans tried to stay away from conflict and EA tried not to provoke Zods).

Additionally Earth/Sol saw civil war after node collapse and it was core colonies (so they supose to be most loyal) who opened fire first. No suprise that they see rest of GTA outside of Sol as very big thread to their existence and GTVA constitution doesn't help it.

IMO EA is UEF from BP with Tevs mentality from from BP2 and very big sticks to use that mentality :)

There is one problem - EA must be aware of 80 Shivan Juggernauts so it's still stupid to wage war with GTVA, but maybe they are confident that Icanus + regular fleet would be enough to deal with them (again stugid assumption as Collossu was so epic cluste**** that it made through 4 LY distance for sure).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:30:33 pm by mr.WHO »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Don't forget, if you put the Icanus against a Sathanas, it'd wipe the floor with it without much effort. Considering the power seen in Inferno, anti-juggernaut torpedoes and such, and 80-Sathanas fleet suddenly looks much less threatening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Of course, the Shivans always get bigger.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
There is one problem - EA must be aware of 80 Shivan Juggernauts so it's still stupid to wage war with GTVA, but maybe they are confident that Icanus + regular fleet would be enough to deal with them (again stugid assumption as Collossu was so epic cluste**** that it made through 4 LY distance for sure).
The plan was more to not deal with the Shivans if possible, but it depended on what the Shivans were capable at throwing at the EA.
Spoiler:
Let's just say Earth has something else other than the Icanus that can hold those Sathanas back a bit, and is also a problem for the GTVA assault

Don't forget, if you put the Icanus against a Sathanas, it'd wipe the floor with it without much effort. Considering the power seen in Inferno, anti-juggernaut torpedoes and such, and 80-Sathanas fleet suddenly looks much less threatening.
Well the Nemesis can take a Sathanas on its own as long as its not directly in front of it.