Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918085 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Well, there might have been a successful commander/president or other famous person who was named Raynor sometime during FS history, and they named the class after them.

I thought it was a charming reference, but I think they earned the right to name it what they wanted rather than conforming to the naming conventions/

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Or maybe Starcraft is just that big in the future?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Unless Koreans are a dominant race in the future, I doubt that
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Flak

Actually not all are from greek mythology. The Silent Threat ships for instance, many are named after Norse mythology instead.

The Raynor isn't the only one though, there is also the Kulas fighter.

I can also see the naming conventions in UEF ships, the first fleet ships are named after famous leaders, the second fleet ships are named after rivers, I am not sure about the third.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Interestingly, a couple Terran destroyers in FS2 were named after random French provinces, like Aquitaine, Alsace, Normandy and Corsica.

Offline crizza

I was simply going for the class name.

I liked the reference, though that might be because there was a period in time when i was 10 where I only played Freespace, Starcraft and Rogue Squadron. Ahhhhhh Good times. :P

Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
New user, first post.

Around 2 weeks ago my video card died and I'm forced to use an older PC.  Since this is a fairly weak and old PC I started to search for older games and found one of my old favorites FS  :)

Back when I first played it there was only FS1. Now I played FS2. ST, ST:R and a couple of user made campaigns.

There are some campaigns that are actually way better then the original ones, like Derelict, BP:AoA and I only played 2 missions so far in WiH, but I'm already amazed. No idea how you guys do it, but whatever you do keep it up.

The best part I liked about the 3 prev mentioned campaign besides the new models, plot and everything is the voice acting. They just take it to a whole new level and even though it's not easy to "move me" some of the dialogs and monologs managed to do so.

My current video card is really ancient and the game slows down too often for my taste, but I still can't get up from the PC and will definitely replay them when I get a better PC.

Now I know that what I said so far has no connection what so ever with this thread, but I had no idea where to write this and I just want to congratulate and thank you guys for the job you did.

What I would like to see in the next part and in part 1 is voice acting ^^ especially the "recommendation" in the debriefing and the in-game chatter. It's really hard to concentrate on killing enemy ships and avoiding fire when you have to read the text. 

It may have been said before and I presume it was, but I'm so overwhelmed with this campaign that I could hardly exit the game to write this. I finished AoA in 1 night and was looking for the next part. When I saw WiH I was "hell yeah!!!" even without voice acting. Can't wait or the next part and for some voice acting  :D :D :D

And sorry again for posting in the wrong thread, but I wasn't able find an "OMG you guys are the best" thread  :lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Unless Koreans are a dominant race in the future, I doubt that

You don't know that won't happen. Based on GTA rocketry I'd hazard North Korea ended up as mankind's dominant super power.

Oh and speaking of voice acting my one concern is the voices I've had for characters in my head will all be null once the 'real' voices come out. I can't for the life of me think why but I always visualised Laporte as being black and having like a South African accent or there enough. I doubt we have a lot of female south african FS players. :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Unfortunately not. Laporte's ethnicity is also somewhat ambiguous (though FSOSara's renders have her rather white, she was definitely imagined as all sorts of looks).

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
The name sounds French to me.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'm fairly sure it's French, seems to be a combination of La Porte, a French surname.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Laporte maybe, Noemi = Hungaian. It only needs é instead of e :)

Offline -Sara-

Unfortunately not. Laporte's ethnicity is also somewhat ambiguous (though FSOSara's renders have her rather white, she was definitely imagined as all sorts of looks).

I'll probably just make a female pilot images if I ever get to it of various races. I want to spend more time for finishing avi-heads first, that came to a bit of a stand-still unintentionally. Then the player can use their own imagination on what LaPorte looks like, with image 1 being the 'canonically agreed' version or such.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:52:52 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline crizza

La porte= the door?^^

La porte= the door?^^

The door to what, I wonder..
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm fairly sure it's French, seems to be a combination of La Porte, a French surname.

Not only is it silly to attempt to figure out the nationality of a name several centuries from now, given the inevitable linguistic and cultural drift, but there is significant French influence in many areas of Africa - thus the phrase 'Francophone nations'.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
An even sillier attempt than looking at surnames to derive an ethnicity is looking at the first name, especially if it's not an uncommon one.