Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918166 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Especially if it turns out to be a self fullfilling prophecy and everything will happen as it was shown in the vision, exactly because the protagonist tried to prevent it from happening.

Which, in a game where the protagonist is built up to be a decisive force in the game universe, is even worse.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey let's not get mad here. Let the fans talk!

Offline Qent

Especially if it turns out to be a self fullfilling prophecy and everything will happen as it was shown in the vision, exactly because the protagonist tried to prevent it from happening.

Which, in a game where the protagonist is built up to be a decisive force in the game universe, is even worse.
Not if it's possible to prevent events, but just takes some thought.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I wonder if the light from Capella has reached Sol yet...?

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Depends on which one of the quaternaries they blew up.  But, yeah, there should be a visible neblua since it's only 42 LY away.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Depends on which one of the quaternaries they blew up.  But, yeah, there should be a visible neblua since it's only 42 LY away.

Indeed, but Capella only being 18 years past it'll need a wee bit more time to cross the distance.

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
Something that interests me is the reaction of Sol's people to the history of the GTVA. Obviously, terror. They basically would have heard, 'It was like the war that destroyed Vasuda Prime and nearly Earth, except quite a lot worse.' That's enough to make anyone paranoid but if I actually lived in the BP setting I'd be fascinated by the parallel history the Tevs had lived through. Do we know just how much the average Joes and Janes of Sol know about what happened?

Interesting to think about Capella's light reaching Sol. Would be a pretty sombre astronomical sight.
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They know quite a bit. I believe Laporte reflects on the GTVA's history at a couple points, when she's feeling more empathic, and discusses how differently they've had things - facing down the demons instead of a sealed system full of riches. I believe the Ubuntu government prepared a set of pamphlets for broad dissemination once they were done debriefing the 14th Battlegroup's defectors, and these were generally quite popular (and upsetting) reading.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Interesting to think about Capella's light reaching Sol. Would be a pretty sombre astronomical sight.

Capella is 42 light years away, and War in Heaven is 20 years after it blew up. The fireworks won't reach Sol until 22 years pass... if there's anybody left to watch them, that is.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I thought this was 18 years after something that happened a dozen years after....wait, now I've confuzzuled myself.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
FS1 ---32 years---> FS2 (Capella) ---18 years---> BP

Offline -Norbert-

If I remember correctly it says "50 years after the great war" in the AoA intro. The "great war" is the first Shivan incursion, which happened during the last moments of the terran-vasudan war (and caused it to end).

The FreeSpace 2 campaign, starting out with the NTF rebellion, is commonly refered to as "second Shivan incursion" and very seldomly also as "second great war" and as Scotty already posted happend 32 after FS1 and 18 years before Age of Aquarius.
Now add a few weeks for AoA, a few more month for the gap between AoA and WiH and a month or two, during which WiH plays and you'll roughly get to the 2 more years that are missing to the 20 years since Capella that were mentioned before.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:53:20 am by -Norbert- »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The gap between the end of AoA and start of WiH is eighteen months.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
20 years...ok, now I'm not confused.  Just amazed that a civilization that could build the Colossus in secret without anyone noticing the expenditures could then turn around and crash economically and stay there for the same period of time they took to build their supership.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Except, they didn't build the Colly in secret. They launched her in secret, possibly ahead of schedule, but that doesn't mean that they hid the cost of it. The Colossus project took 30 years and was just the spearhead of a massive public investment scheme designed to kickstart GTVA shipbuilding and R&D efforts. They couldn't keep something like that secret, even if they tried.

Also, the economic collapse was triggered by several things. One, the restructuring of the node network with increased transit times across a part of the GTVA. Two, the massive amount of civil aid that was needed to rehouse the Capella refugees. Three, economic uncertainty after the reveal that yes, the Shivans are still around and yes, they can blow up stars, and yes, the best we can do to stop them is to abandon an entire starsystem. And on top of that, we have a few months of the same uncertainty called the NTF Rebellion. Take all that together, and you get the ingredients for a tasty economic recession.

Also, remember that the Sol gate project was a direct effort to counteract said depression just like the Colossus project was.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Sol gate project was hell and a half economically, too.

I doubt the recession continued for a full twenty years - but it's probably been accompanied by a shift in economic policy to 'jesus ****, military now' over growth and investment.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I could possibly see Terran hatred for Capellan refugees somewhat directly after the supernova. Unless the said Terrans are really the good kind. I don't think that hatred exists now as of WiH...

...but the Colossus single-handedly smashed the NTF Rebellion after the rest of the GTVA worked their asses off to keep the NTF at bay for the Colossus to become deus ex machina for the Rebellion. I'd say that's good enough for the Colossus. If the NTF Rebellion continued during and after the Shivan invasion, heh...good luck GTVA.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
First part:  What?  Highly unlikely.  The whole GTVA was shocked at the destruction of Capella.  It's much more likely that there was immense sympathy for the refugees.  In general, mind you.  Nobody would like to have them, but that's not the same as hating them.

We know hate still exists as of WiH, because Laporte pretty much hates the GTVA at this point.

The NTF Rebellion did occur during the Shivan invasion.  The nebula missions with the 107th and 134th both take place before the destruction of the NTF at the hands of the Colossus (and Alpha 1 :P).

Offline -Norbert-

I wouldn't go so far to say the Colossus singlehandedly crushed the NTF.
After the Colossus destroyed a Deimos, Koth' flagship and a couple of cruisers the NTF went for the suicide charge at the portal, relegating the juggernaught to shoot those that fell behind.
I'd estimate the majority of NTF capital ships were smashed by the various blockades rather than the colly.

And considering it was Boschs plan to form an alliance with the Shivans, that charge would have come sooner or later anyway if you ask me,  Colossus or no Colossus.

Offline -Sara-

The Colossus was described in the briefings to have taken care of atleast one more destroyer and several corvettes. It's hard to imagine the NTF having more than a few destroyers at hand.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.