Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918218 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Nine Orions and one Hecate confirmed, more possible.  At least two were destroyed by the Colossus, the NTD Repulse and the NTD Andronicus.  The Colossus also possibly destroyed the Vasa, but we only know that it was destroyed, not by whom, at the Gamma Draconis node.

The Colossus also destroyed (with player help, among others), the NTC Majestic, NTC Refute, NTC Conquest, NTC Camisard, NTC Vanguard, NTCv Hawkwood, NTCv Congreve, and NTCv Danton.

That's just the ships in the NTF it destroyed.  Adding in Shivans, you get the SJ Sathanas, the SD Beast, of the major Shivan captial ships.  We have no idea how many smaller ships the Colossus destroyed before Their Finest Hour.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'd say lots, and lots. I'm surprised that the NTF even possessed a Hecate, the Hecate was like the 'image' of the GTVA, while the Orions were for the NTF.

Although now the 'image' of the GTVA is probably the Raynor. Or Auroras.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I'd say lots, and lots. I'm surprised that the NTF even possessed a Hecate, the Hecate was like the 'image' of the GTVA, while the Orions were for the NTF.

Why surprised? It was a popular rebellion, just because the Hecate was newer doesn't mean they weren't crewed by personnel willing to defect.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'm not sure, maybe veteran officers/battle-hardened crew are more easily swayed than fresh out of the boot camp crew, imbued full of GTVA-ness.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Ten total, as of the beginning of the FS2 campaign.  See post above.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!

Ten total, as of the beginning of the FS2 campaign.  See post above.
That's easily half of the entire Terran armada in FS2, I believe. Scary how...Bosch is. Not to mention he has a pretty good VA.

Offline crizza

Not realy Destiny...there's an article in the wiki about the fleetsize...look it up.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There are ten confirmed GTVA Terran destroyers in the main FS2 campaign.  And we see the components of presumably approximately half of the active GTVA Terran fleets.

Offline starlord

returning to the dante, I was surprised when I learned that it was armed with BFReds "only", I expected them to be a scale up... How different is the dante in that case than an overgrown sathanas?

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Oh, put a friendly Sathanas in front of a hostile Dante in FRED. You'll see.

Actually...well, I'm not good at explaining things, especially something as...well...simple as the Dante so the others'll do it better. I could say that it does have a fair amount of beams around it.

Offline -Sara-

According to the wiki 24 SRed's and 15 SAAA are like blisters on it's hull. It has 18 various flak turrets too. I'm not sure though if the BP Dante has the same equipment.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Funny thing, the Dante.

Dante vs Great Preserver: GP wins.
Dante + one Nahema vs Great Preserver: Shivans win.

How odd that a little Nahema can tip off the balance there.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline crizza

Strange...I safed the Vilnius and still she is called lost with all hands in the debriefing after Post Meridian^^

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Strange...I safed the Vilnius and still she is called lost with all hands in the debriefing after Post Meridian^^

Yeah, there's no debriefing logic for saving it. Needs a patch.

Offline Luis Dias

Interesting to think about Capella's light reaching Sol. Would be a pretty sombre astronomical sight.

Capella is 42 light years away, and War in Heaven is 20 years after it blew up. The fireworks won't reach Sol until 22 years pass... if there's anybody left to watch them, that is.

Such fireworks will be in place in other systems, and with different "time stamps" on them. It starts with a very bright spot, and then a big bluish wave starts to form. I say bluish due to the relativistic effect of the shell going at under c speeds, but it obviously depends upon the starting constitution of said shell, it's actual speed, and some calculations ;).

Inside the shell, if you could warp into it, you'd see a vacuum enlightened in red. Reddish. The same shell that is seen as bluish outside, is seen reddish inside. Simplistic, but in terms of fiction it could work. It is still lit, even after Cappella goes dark, depending on the speed of the outer shell. If the outer shell goes at almost C, then it is arguably still being lit by the Cappella star blast that happened 18 years ago, from the point of view of someone inside Cappella's system. This could arguably be true, even if there is no Cappella star anymore.

The end result would be a dark system (with an invisible and tiny black hole in the middle?), with a constant ambient reddish glow coming from everywhere. Very shivan like.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Presum
The end result would be a dark system (with an invisible and tiny black hole in the middle?), with a constant ambient reddish glow coming from everywhere. Very shivan like.
Presuming they blew up the Capella with enough mass to form a sigularity.  Capella is a twin binary system.  Two big-ish stars and two dwarfs.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Luis Dias

Presum
Presuming they blew up the Capella with enough mass to form a sigularity.  Capella is a twin binary system.  Two big-ish stars and two dwarfs.

No, I just presume that the end speech by admiral Petrarch in FS2 is what is supposed to happen in canon. Normal calculations on supernovae and how many stellar masses a star requires to get itself into a black hole are irrelevant here, since it's the shivans doing the work here, deploying technology to create the black hole out of a supernovae blast.

Further, in FS canon no one speaks of binary stars in Cappella :lol:

But we can always suppose they do exist (they are just too far away to be seen in FS2...)

Offline -Norbert-

When in FS2 is there ever a mention of a black hole? Petrarch only talks about the destruction or the explosion of "the star capella", never mentioning a black hole.

Offline Luis Dias

When in FS2 is there ever a mention of a black hole? Petrarch only talks about the destruction or the explosion of "the star capella", never mentioning a black hole.

Actual quote: "The explosion of a star might be the bridge between this universe and their own".

What kind of cosmic phenomena is out there believed to be possibly a bridge between universes? I can only count one. ;)

Offline crizza

Or perhaps the shockwave works as some kind of slingshot and hurls them towards their destination?