Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918240 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
When in FS2 is there ever a mention of a black hole? Petrarch only talks about the destruction or the explosion of "the star capella", never mentioning a black hole.

Actual quote: "The explosion of a star might be the bridge between this universe and their own".

What kind of cosmic phenomena is out there believed to be possibly a bridge between universes? I can only count one. ;)
A black hole isn't a bridge to anything, save the next life, if you believe in something like that. It's just a ball of matter with so high gravity, that even light get's sucked into it. And with the exception of radiation bursts, something that goes in (or rather becomes part of it) never comes out of it again. All those bridge to some other place and the very name "hole" are artifacts from a time when people just didn't know what it really was.

Also you forget subspace! Blowing up a star will certainly change the gravity conditions quite severely. And as far as I konw gravity is a major factor for subspace nodes to come into being. Now granted, a black hole has massive gravity, which might aid in the creation of a "super node", but then maybe it's the chaotic conditions, after the explosion or that the node was created from a source of gravity which disappeared afterwards that makes that node usefull for the Shivans.

Or maybe the Shivans in our galaxy are lost and blowing up Capella was actually sending a signal flare through subspace, allowing the Shivans in their ancestral homes to locate the stragglers and start to build a portal towards them.

And those are just a few spontan ideas I had just now, wihtout any carefull thinking about it....

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
When in FS2 is there ever a mention of a black hole? Petrarch only talks about the destruction or the explosion of "the star capella", never mentioning a black hole.

Actual quote: "The explosion of a star might be the bridge between this universe and their own".

What kind of cosmic phenomena is out there believed to be possibly a bridge between universes? I can only count one. ;)

Black Holes crush sh*t, that's all they do as far as we know. Besides we witness the Jugger fleet jumping out via subspace. Assuming it isn't an intrasystem jump, as Petrarch doesn't casually say "oh btw they're still in Capella", they must've jumped to another system entirely, suggesting at the very least they created a super node. Still it's all conjecture, all we have by way of canon is footage of the Sathanas fleet jumping out, for all we know they might very well be hiding in Capella still.

Actually here's a scary thought: perhaps the Sathanas doesn't rely on nodes for subspace travel, at least not in the same way we do. Suppose for instance, that instead of creating a supernode the Shivans jumped back to Gamma Draconis via the Cap-Gamma Drac node, without physically having to fly to the location of the node. The Shivans have demonstrated the capability to traverse nodes too unstable for Terran/Zod vessels, perhaps the same applied to the Knossos node after the portal was destroyed: a sort of residual subspacey-ness that Sathanas juggeranauts can traverse.

Re-reading all that, it ain't smart but f*ck it, it's a video game. :)

Ninja'ed: beat me to the punch on black holes and nodes.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Black Holes crush sh*t, that's all they do as far as we know.
Down to the point where there is nothing left but elementary particles.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
[/lurk]

Had an interesting thought, not sure if it's been discussed yet...

While the Wargods were getting wiped out at Saturn, weren't the Toutatis and Eris supposed to be engaging the Atreus and Hood? Do we have any idea how that went? Anyone care to speculate?

[lurk]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
[/lurk]

Had an interesting thought, not sure if it's been discussed yet...

While the Wargods were getting wiped out at Saturn, weren't the Toutatis and Eris supposed to be engaging the Atreus and Hood? Do we have any idea how that went? Anyone care to speculate?

[lurk]

You will get some eyes on this.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
. . . Weren't all the destroyers pictured, alive and well, in Sunglare?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are such things as nondecisive engagements.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
. . . Weren't all the destroyers pictured, alive and well, in Sunglare?

Aye they were....Steele, in his pure masculine brilliance, probably anticipated diversionary Fed attacks once they gained information on the Carthage's jump schedule. The Tevs were likely playing defence, I doubt any major assets were lost by either side, except for the Wargods and Calder's pride of course.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
[/lurk]

Is Sunglare actually going to end like that, once R2 is out? Unless WiH R1 and R2 are done as separate campaigns, having that credits sequence in between acts would be kind of weird.

[lurk]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
WiH1 and WiH2 will be separate campaigns; WiH1 hit the variable limit for a campaign and thus it's a good idea to have WiH2 be a new one.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Same characters, I presume? Or somebody else will take the PC role from Laporte?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They were outlined as one campaign so yes, same PC.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Or perhaps the shockwave works as some kind of slingshot and hurls them towards their destination?
Yeah, that SCv Moloch got toasted.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Or perhaps the shockwave works as some kind of slingshot and hurls them towards their destination?

I never got why the Shivans let their own kind burn like that. Juggers warp out and everything that isn't a Sathanas gets flame-grilled; how's that? The obvious answer is they really just don't care, but the fact that Shivans try and protect their assets at all makes this point somewhat mute. I remember playing the campaign first time round, all those years ago, completely stunned at the sudden rush of 80 Sathanii and the subsequent boom. They almost seemed desperate in some way.

Can't really crack this sort of stuff by typing as you think...maybe we should start a "crack BP storyline thread", collate all the wee hints and weird metaphor cargo containers to see how far we get. :)

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I never got why the Shivans let their own kind burn like that.

Perhaps they offered to stay behind so that the Saths could jump out. Heroic sacrifice and all that.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline -Norbert-

Or their jumpdrive was damaged during the battle.
The three Sath that blew up, clearly had to stay to maintain whatever they were doing for long enough to achive whatever they were trying to achive though.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
The three Sath that blew up, clearly had to stay to maintain whatever they were doing for long enough to achieve whatever they were trying to achive though.

I always thought they ran out of energy because their red glow went down. The star was clearly out of control even if they hadn't stayed.

But in the end I also think that the shivans don't care about some of their ships when the goal to be achieved is high enough (the Lucifer fleet had limited ressources - so it's normal that they protected cargo depots etc. )
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline crizza

Slingshot in subspace...like... nitro in racing cars?^^

Offline -Norbert-

The three Sath that blew up, clearly had to stay to maintain whatever they were doing for long enough to achieve whatever they were trying to achive though.

I always thought they ran out of energy because their red glow went down. The star was clearly out of control even if they hadn't stayed.

But in the end I also think that the shivans don't care about some of their ships when the goal to be achieved is high enough (the Lucifer fleet had limited ressources - so it's normal that they protected cargo depots etc. )
I don't think they just ran out of energy. When the green energy ring sends out a shockwave, most of them switch off, but on those four (I just rewatched it, and it's four, not three) that didn't jump out, it remained on, even after that, only going out half a second before the last jumpvortex of the fleeing ones closes.

Offline Luis Dias

I never got why the Shivans let their own kind burn like that.

Perhaps they offered to stay behind so that the Saths could jump out. Heroic sacrifice and all that.

Humanlike thinking. You are not thinking alien-ish.