Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918133 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
There were Deimos with TerSlashBlue? If so that's probably a mistake. It's not feasible.

Offline crizza

It is more I think.
You need properbly new reactors, energy conduits and all this fancy stuff.
I think thats the reason, why the Carthage is a combat evaluation destroyer.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Oh, should've said 'FREDding Deimos corvettes with TerSlashBlue and...' instead. Always thought that changing the green beam cannons and the green beam emitters would do the job. Perhaps you gotta cut the hull open, brrr.

So I'm curious, how does one get radiation poisoning from Helios detonations? Antimatter is pretty clean. The Darkest Hour has a lot of information and if appropriate, 'goodies'.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
We had a discussion about it on IRC a couple of days ago (good timing) and the leading theory is, green beams were made to be easily compatible with old spaceframes and energy grids (even medical frigates carry them !) at the expense of power output, while the Capella-era Vasudan beams and the blue beams need the ship to be specifically designed for them - for the Zods, it's pretty obvious since only new ships carry them, aside from the Typhon who is said to have power grid compatibility issues with them ; for the blue beams, we have yet to see any Capella-era ship outfitted with them (even the fully retrofitted, full of new tech Carthage used good old BGreens and Terslashes), and tech entries hint at the fact green beams use fusion reactors, while blue beams use meson reactors.

What we can only speculate about if what new-gen Zod ships use. Have the zods opted for compatibility with older ships ? We already know that they have retrofitted at least some Capella-era ships with pulse weaponry (to be noted that retrofitting Capella-era tev ships with pulse weaponry is also undergoing). Or will they use the same meson-based blue beams as the terrans, or a custom version based on a similar tech, for use only on their new-gen designs ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Hmm, I see. I suppose you could generalize that green beams are low-powered but easier on the reactor, hard to get powerful damage outputs even when overloaded due to fusion reactors being 'weak' in comparison to meson reactors, but easier to refuel because they've gotten lots and lots of gas from the nebula before Capella blew up, while blue beams are...uhh...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So I'm curious, how does one get radiation poisoning from Helios detonations? Antimatter is pretty clean.

No it's not, not at all. There are no fission byproducts and fewer neutrons or x-rays, but the gamma emissions are obscene.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:03:24 am by General Battuta »

What we can only speculate about if what new-gen Zod ships use. Have the zods opted for compatibility with older ships ? We already know that they have retrofitted at least some Capella-era ships with pulse weaponry (to be noted that retrofitting Capella-era tev ships with pulse weaponry is also undergoing). Or will they use the same meson-based blue beams as the terrans, or a custom version based on a similar tech, for use only on their new-gen designs ?

Well, technically speaking, SVas and VSlash are still significantly superior to the SBlue and TerSlashBlue in terms of DPS, though they have a more limited range. On the other hand, canonically, the SVas was  used only on the Hattie, and the VSlash on the Sobek, while the terrans happily use slash beams on their destroyers.

Maybe next-gen vasudan warship won't feature new beams, but old beams on a wider number of ships?

Also, if they have their own customed non-blue new beams, what color should they be ? :D (Blue beams on vasudan deigns must look weird; gotta try that when I get home)

Offline Luis Dias

New beam weapon: Slash Beam Nuke. Everytime it hits a ship, it detonates an apocalypse in its hull, making a row of nukes hitting a ship.

Man, that would be so great (and crappy at the same time lol)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Wow in that case, Fleet TacNet is misleading. Helios torps must've eaten real deep into the stations, past the radiation shields (unless they were on the outside...). Kinda lucky there weren't any Helios-armed bombers around Rheza as far as I remember, but Steele himself is scarier than a wing of Helios-armed bombers.

What/Where was the Solaris engaging/engaged around Earth? There didn't seem to be any mentions of it.

On the topic of Vasudan beams, I believe Vasudan designs are efficient and powerful enough not to require developing new beams, other than long range variants of their current beams. Although, the Vasudans seem to also be utilizing fusion reactors as of the UEF-GTVA war. Interesting to see what the Vasudans will come up with when they use meson reactors.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wow in that case, Fleet TacNet is misleading. Helios torps must've eaten real deep into the stations, past the radiation shields (unless they were on the outside...). Kinda lucky there weren't any Helios-armed bombers around Rheza as far as I remember, but Steele himself is scarier than a wing of Helios-armed bombers.

You don't even know where the transmission was coming from.

That transmission was random chatter from some unknown point in a huge battle, Destiny, and IIRC had no given source.  It could have signified any number of circumstances that could have resulted in a bunch of crewman getting fatal Rad Doses. Say, for instance, those men were in a station Escape pod that exited right next to an impacting Helios, or maybe they were pilots that had ejected and gotten dosed by random detonations, then picked up afterwards. 

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
That's why I used 'must've' alone and didn't add 'definitely' in front. Speculation. If the...uhh...'vampires' that were hitting Hydura were partially intercepted and didn't blow up the station, that's another circumstance for rad dosed people. 500 casualties coming in at once for the receiving station or medical ship would be pretty hard on them.

(Wouldn't exiting next to a Helios impacting would destroy the pod entirely...?)

Offline -Norbert-

That depends on how close "next to it" is. The bomb shockwaves in BP aren't as powerfull as they used to be in the first release of AoA (i.e.: I'm going to blow up this shivan bomb 50 meters in front of me.... *bang* Wtf? why am I dead? Ah, the memories  :lol: ).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That depends on how close "next to it" is. The bomb shockwaves in BP aren't as powerfull as they used to be in the first release of AoA (i.e.: I'm going to blow up this shivan bomb 50 meters in front of me.... *bang* Wtf? why am I dead? Ah, the memories  :lol: ).
Gah Universal Truth :(

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

From what I remember the FS1 Shivan Megabomb shockwaves were extremely dangerous.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Flak

New Vasudan beams would be orange, white, or purple I think.

Offline -Norbert-

From what I remember the FS1 Shivan Megabomb shockwaves were extremely dangerous.
Were the insta-death to a full hull, full shield fighter 50 meters away from the exploding bomb? I don't remember ever dying to a bomb shockwave in FS1 or FS Port, except one time in the final mission, when I was very low on health while getting too close to a reactor.
But in original AoA I died .... often to bombs, even from full health.

It made forced entry all the more frustrating. You manage a perfect playthrough, including taking out all the Ravanas beams and on the way back to your own ships, one of the Temeraires torpedoes is shoot down by the Ravana right next to your fighter and you die :banghead:.
While it was annoying as hell in the beginning, once I got used to it, it was fun. I was a little disappointed whenthe directors cut turned bombs completely harmless against shields.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The Supernovae of the Temeraire are still as one-shotting, believe me ;p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Eos are nasty enough as well. I got hit by a TAG-C once, didn't try to evade; "meh, shield is fully charged what can a bomb possibly do to m*dead*"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Were the insta-death to a full hull, full shield fighter 50 meters away from the exploding bomb? I don't remember ever dying to a bomb shockwave in FS1 or FS Port, except one time in the final mission, when I was very low on health while getting too close to a reactor.
But in original AoA I died .... often to bombs, even from full health.

It made forced entry all the more frustrating. You manage a perfect playthrough, including taking out all the Ravanas beams and on the way back to your own ships, one of the Temeraires torpedoes is shoot down by the Ravana right next to your fighter and you die :banghead:.
While it was annoying as hell in the beginning, once I got used to it, it was fun. I was a little disappointed whenthe directors cut turned bombs completely harmless against shields.
I actually got killed by the Ravana splitting in half, when it forced the game into a cutscene. Had to do it all over again.