Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918118 times)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Hmm..I survived the joust this time, but I realized that I couldn't bear to fire a single shot in My Brother, My Enemy. I just...C-3-5'd, and the two Uhlans blew up all the fighters, until Chavel or something came and blew up Alpha 2 and 3. Just for some unfathomable reason, I couldn't fire. When I clicked on my stats in the debriefing, everything was 0.

I don't know what magic spell the BP team casted, but...well-done in actually affecting the psychology of a player. Very, very well done.

Offline -Sara-

Good mission design will ensure that debris is no immediate threat to friendly ships. I remember some other mods where the mission designers did not take into account the possible directions debris can spin off to along with it's speed and how quickly it can reach a friendly larger ship, resulting into friendly victorious vessels being sadly destroyed by debris from an enemy cap-ship, thus failing the mission. :P So far this didn't happen to me yet in BP as far as I can remember, so I assume debris has been a factor the mission designers have taken into account.

Except you really can't make assumptions about debris, given the many, many factors involved in its creation. The only way we've found to make sure that mission outcome isn't ruined by debris is liberal use of ship-protect whenever something blows up.

I meant more in the direction of not letting ships which are battling a Sath fly circles around it within 1500 metres of range, or 5 minute long conversations happening while a friendly ship is relatively close to the hostile Sath.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Hmm..I survived the joust this time, but I realized that I couldn't bear to fire a single shot in My Brother, My Enemy. I just...C-3-5'd, and the two Uhlans blew up all the fighters, until Chavel or something came and blew up Alpha 2 and 3. Just for some unfathomable reason, I couldn't fire. When I clicked on my stats in the debriefing, everything was 0.

That sounds strange. Are you also unable to control your ship movements as well? I had an issue with the player being under AI control after the Kai Chavel cutscene, but the AI immediately warped out and ended the mission for me. If that's not the case, perhaps there is some oddity where your primaries remain locked after the cutscene due to some loophole in the mission. I don't know about the stats being reset to 0 (primary shots fired and everything?), I can't say what would cause that unless you actually didn't fire a shot.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline -Norbert-

I think he meant the ship controlls were fine, but his emotions played havoc and prevented him from firing.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
I think he meant the ship controlls were fine, but his emotions played havoc and prevented him from firing.
Xinny and Zero prevented him from firing.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
[/lurk]

Oh hm... just thought of something. How is it that the UEF's name for "Nagari" is the same as the GTVA's?

[lurk]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because the name was coined by the GTI, prior to the Sol isolation.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep, research on it predated the Isolation.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I'm about 95% sure you're already doing this... but you know how the gatling cannons have a sort of motorised spin up sound before it starts spewing lead? You know how the gattler does not make that sound(I thought it was broken when I first used it)?

Well now it can! Check out one of the newer editions to the weapons.tbl wiki... http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.24PreLaunchSnd:

With this .tbl feature the gattler can play the spinup sound before firing. Isn't that cool?
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'm about 95% sure you're already doing this... but you know how the gatling cannons have a sort of motorised spin up sound before it starts spewing lead? You know how the gattler does not make that sound(I thought it was broken when I first used it)?

Well now it can! Check out one of the newer editions to the weapons.tbl wiki... http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.24PreLaunchSnd:

With this .tbl feature the gattler can play the spinup sound before firing. Isn't that cool?
That's pretty awesome.

Now for people on the receiving end to hear a brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuupppppp.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
[/lurk]

Ooo, just remembered another thing that had been bugging me...

Did the UEF ever bother to finish those two warships in "Pawns", or did they just leave them? If the player doesn't destroy them, I mean...

[lurk]

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
[/lurk]

Ooo, just remembered another thing that had been bugging me...

Did the UEF ever bother to finish those two warships in "Pawns", or did they just leave them? If the player doesn't destroy them, I mean...

[lurk]
I think they simply captured/boarded them. Maybe, the ships were sent to the 1. Fleet or even to the FSI.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I hope the Nelson survived......Just because of the name.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Anyone know what the status of this Campaign is??

Oh. Yeah Hi everyone

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Oh. Yeah Hi everyone

FIRING BLUE!!!
:welcomeblue:

It's been finished since late last year...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
It's been finished since late last year...
At least the first half has been.  The second half is still in development.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Oh. Yeah Hi everyone

First half released since last year.

Offline Anjelus

Not to pressure (since from my own rl creative projects I know annoying THAT is), but as a longtime Blue Planet fan I thought I'd inquire as to how WiH2 is coming along as we near the 1 year anniversary of the first half's release? Or are you guys mostly focusing on finishing the voice acting for part 1? Not that that would bother me, I've thought of auditioning myself now that I have a decent mic for work purposes.

I actually just reinstalled FS2 and started my first replay of WiH tonight. I WAS going to wait for the special edition but... well what can I say? BP is one of my favorite stories and I wanted to experience it again.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Not to pressure (since from my own rl creative projects I know annoying THAT is), but as a longtime Blue Planet fan I thought I'd inquire as to how WiH2 is coming along as we near the 1 year anniversary of the first half's release? Or are you guys mostly focusing on finishing the voice acting for part 1? Not that that would bother me, I've thought of auditioning myself now that I have a decent mic for work purposes.

I actually just reinstalled FS2 and started my first replay of WiH tonight. I WAS going to wait for the special edition but... well what can I say? BP is one of my favorite stories and I wanted to experience it again.

Hopefully this answers your question a bit! :D
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline -Norbert-

Voice acting WiH1 is not slowing the progress of WiH2 down, because it's not done by the actual BP team for the most part. General Battuta seems to have a hand in the VA effort, but the actual VA director (I think that's a good word) Iss Meunr, who does most of the work on the VAing as far as I'm aware, isn't part of the actual BP team.
Just like AoAs voice acting, which was done by Rian and General Battuta (back then "just" a fan and not a member of the BP team).