Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918191 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Being an armchair admiral is fun, isn't it.

The thing is, ramming might have worked.

If that had been the plan from the beginning.

Alas, it wasn't. The Wargods decided to hang back instead of continuing the charge; and when the Imperieuse showed up, the probability of a ramming maneuver succeeding was going down rapidly, due to the Imp's Ice Queen beams.

In addition, killing the Carthage but losing the Wargods in the process would have been a pyrrhic victory at best. As such, suicidal charges were never considered during mission planning, and were only brought back to the table once it was clear that other courses of action were no longer available.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
1) The Carthage was already significantly damaged.
2) A Karuna is pretty big--not a destroyer, sure, but larger than any GTVA corvette. Couple that with the absurd number of Apocalypse antimatter torpedoes, flak munitions, and the reactor itself, and you get one hell of a punch (and bang).
3) The Karuna would be ramming at speeds around 60 m/s....that's considerable.
4) The Colossus skewered that Orion with heavy beams before it even got close. Not exactly much of a ramming attack (with poor speed, to boot).
5) Square-cubed law (IIRC) implies that the Colossus would be made out of (or built to be) far, far sturdier stuff than your average Orion. The attempted ramming was at the frontal armor of the ship, which is probably one of its thicker points.
6) I'm not sure you could even call it a ramming--I always got the impression that Koth's ship was largely gutted by beams before it really hit the Colossus (as in, it blew up before any real ramming occurred).
7) If at first you don't succeed...you've got a lot more options at your disposal. Another Karuna, and/or another Sanctus. And/or the rest of the task force just unloading into the crippled Carthage with Apocalypse spam, point-blank mass-driver shells, gauss cannon fire, and even some PDT and Burst Flak fire for the cherry on top.

1. Probably not relevant for the purposes of this discussion. I don't see huge chunks of it floating off so it's retaining most of its mass.

2. The front end of a Karuna (a lot of the front in fact) is mainly its two mass drivers. In overall size and overall mass it's at best the same. This also means that the part of the ship which will make contact is much more likely to crumple and absorb energy from the impact rather than remain rigid enough to transfer it.

Also assumes a complete lack of safety systems for the munitions, which is very much inconsistent with the need to handle ordnance safely. BP has consistently gone out of its way not to paint anyone as dumb. This ammunition is almost certainly all boresafe.

3. 60m/s still isn't that much.

4. Again, it's not like huge portions of the ship necessarily disappear.

5. Square-cube law applies only in consistent gravity. No, artificial gravity doesn't count, the mere fact they have it means they can futz with the specific gravity of any portion of the ship as they like. (Hell, there may not be reason to actually have gravity in large portions of the ship in combat, or even normally.)

6. While this is possible, the reality is it usually does make ramming contact and the mission is designed for it.

7. Ramming is by definition an option of last resort unless your ship is specifically designed for it. The Wargods are a major portion of the UEF's defense. They represent an asset years, possibly more, in the making, and are not to be sacrificed casually. If it is remotely possible to save the ships and crew then you should; only when it became clear this was no longer in the cards was ramming considered.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Pretty sure Battuta said that he and the devs played out just about every possible scenario for DE. Like actually set it up and FRED and watched what happened. Attacking the Imperiuse turned out to be the best option. IIRC it worked well enough that they had to guardian the Imp's beam turrets or make them invulnerable or something to ensure that the Wargods lose consistently.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
IIRC it worked well enough that they had to guardian the Imp's beam turrets or make them invulnerable or something to ensure that the Wargods lose consistently.

I think they had to do that to stop QD from taking them out more than that, but...

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, less about consistency and more about not allowing teh uberpilot to **** the mission up.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i cringe every time a ramming attack is suggested in FS.  cap ships are just too damn slow for it to make any sense at all.
I like to stare at the sun.

i cringe every time a ramming attack is suggested in FS.  cap ships are just too damn slow for it to make any sense at all.
Not always--Tenderizer was by far the hardest mission in FS1 for me.

It's more that ramming doesn't make much sense when you're charging straight down the main fire arc of a destroyer capable of obliterating you in a single volley from well outside your own engagement range. At least six UEF captains don't seem to grasp the issue. :p

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

It's more that ramming doesn't make much sense when you're charging straight down the main fire arc of a destroyer capable of obliterating you in a single volley from well outside your own engagement range. At least six UEF captains don't seem to grasp the issue. :p

I think that's more of a "well this doesn't have a chance in hell of working but since we're going to die anyway we can hope they derp and forget to shoot us and even if they don't at least we bought some time because they shot at us and not someone else" than an honest attempt to do damage via ramming.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i still tend to think staying at engagement range and lasting longer would provide better cover and probably do more damage to boot.  cruising slowly at them at 30 m/s doesn't demand any more focused response than attacking them with everything you have.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Tenderizer was pre-planned and pre-rigged for ramming attacks, though. It's not really the best example of effective off-the-cuff attempts when they go in having prepared.

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

Capships are also big. Ramming isn't about speed, it's about crushing the target with your mass.

Offline Aesaar

The Karuna has a crumple zone that takes up a third of the ship.  The front is basically two armor plates and some guns.  For all we know, the Orion is a very dense ship (looks very robust to me), and a Karuna might have just crumpled against the side and done nothing more than cause a few hull breaches.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
With all those warheads hot it would do better.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Jury-rigged tenders with A/M payloads would be a better bet.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Wish the UEF had the anti-subsystem thingie the GTI's R/D division (GTSc Giordano/Crazy Ivans ring a bell?) from ST:R. Would be EPIC, all those fighters lying there, helpless.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's probably less about having it or not and more about everything that was built since then being resistant to it. Technology and, specifically here, electronic warfare has evolved a whole lot since the STR times.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, weapons like that are basically one-shot deals. You can use them once or twice, but once the opposition realizes what you did, they will seek ways to take that advantage away; in that specific case, I figure that GTI found a common vulnerability and built a weapon to exploit it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

The UEF never encountered the GTI mega-shutdown device.  Is it possible their fighters still have this vulnerability?

And if they did, would the GTVA think to exploit it?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Most of the GTI data was in Sol before the isolation. Also, don't forget the UEF has the Shrike missile, which is way more dangerous than Tev's EM Pulse (or EMP missile ? I never remember which one is ST and which one is FS2). I'm pretty sure they have all the necessary EM defences to at least not be completely powered down at the first EM blast.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Uh, is there something like a timeline for the mission, like which battle/skirmish whatever was fought on which day,month, year?