Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918309 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
And please don't be shy about posting your thoughts - we can take tech support to another thread.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
gack - this bug is obviously alive and kicking...

If you zip the csg it should end up really tiny, please post that zipped file either here or attach it to the mantis issue.

edit: actually, in that zip can you include all the .csg files (probably at least two) and the .plr file as well?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

If you zip the csg it should end up really tiny
Hope so, my connection will be sketchy at best in the next few days.
I'll post it as soon as I can.

And yes, OS is Windows XP.

Also, if it's relevant, I switched to the updated build The E posted mid-campaign. (The performance boost was great, btw :))
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Amazing so far, I love the new music, particularly the Dreamscape song. What's the source for that?

Also, somewhat embarrassing: on the early mission with Artemis Station, how do I compromise Artemis' comms? I can't seem to scan the comm subsystem.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Amazing so far, I love the new music, particularly the Dreamscape song. What's the source for that?

Also, somewhat embarrassing: on the early mission with Artemis Station, how do I compromise Artemis' comms? I can't seem to scan the comm subsystem.

Try nosing up to it real close and kinda bouncing around a bit.

Offline Axem

In order to scan you need to be within 300m and have clear line of sight. If you look in the target view, you'll know you have a clear sight when the box does not have an X over the subsystem.

Try nosing up to it real close and kinda bouncing around a bit.

Thanks Battuta, smacking my nose into the base worked. I also noticed I have no new UEF or GTVA ships or weapons in my tech database, except for the Carthage and Asteria station. I'm running the Complete Installer with E's new build, if it matters.

And please don't be shy about posting your thoughts - we can take tech support to another thread.
Right, sorry if I should've opened a new thread for that.

About the campaign, I don't think I can say all that much yet, it still seems to be quite firmly in the 'build-up phase'. But technically it's marvelous, the storyline is intriguing and the soundtrack is perfect, that's for sure.

(And the subsystems on that station are placed quite evilly, not sure if by design... finding the right angle took a bit of random ramming)

Hey guys, been a while! Been periodically checking to see if ya'll were alive and kicking, and it looks like you are! Yay for Space Sim fans!

Redownloading the whole saga now. Also, you guys might want to make the mediavps 3.6.12 links a bit easier to find for the sake of us spoiled by automatic installs.  :shaking:

A bit of an aside but has Axem done any new stuff? Vasaggo's Dirge is probably my favorite FS2 mod besides BP.  ;)

If you zip the csg it should end up really tiny, please post that zipped file either here or attach it to the mantis issue.

edit: actually, in that zip can you include all the .csg files (probably at least two) and the .plr file as well?
Zipping worked spectacularly, here are the files.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hey guys, been a while! Been periodically checking to see if ya'll were alive and kicking, and it looks like you are! Yay for Space Sim fans!

Redownloading the whole saga now. Also, you guys might want to make the mediavps 3.6.12 links a bit easier to find for the sake of us spoiled by automatic installs.  :shaking:

A bit of an aside but has Axem done any new stuff? Vasaggo's Dirge is probably my favorite FS2 mod besides BP.  ;)

JAD 2.22 is incredible, play it now! And he worked on this Blue Planet release.

Oh dear, right of the bat. I'm using wxlauncher for mod control, media VPS 3.6.14 no see. Used the complete BP installer on a fresh FS2 reinstall. I've been testing as I've been loading campaigns, no problems so far with all the graphic shinies working just fine. Here's the error message. Any advice? Should I just use the old launcher?

"post_processing.tbl(line 79):
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [#Light Shafts] .

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_14_NO-SSE.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_6_14_NO-SSE.exe! <no symbol>"

Congratulations. You guys managed to get me into seconds-per-frame territory on a computer that didn't even blink at Delenda Est with the original Steve-O karunas. :p

I'll try to write something more detailed later, but for now suffice to say that you've raised the bar yet again. stop it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh dear, right of the bat. I'm using wxlauncher for mod control, media VPS 3.6.14 no see. Used the complete BP installer on a fresh FS2 reinstall. I've been testing as I've been loading campaigns, no problems so far with all the graphic shinies working just fine. Here's the error message. Any advice? Should I just use the old launcher?

Hey, man, all that red text in the install instructions that said BP was no longer compatible with 3.6.14 - we MEAN it! Use the BP builds that the installer provided you.

Just finished act 3 now and... wow, that was quite the trip. Amazing work, some of most engaging, complex missions I've ever played. Great job!

Quote from: General Battuta
And I

JIZZED

IN

MY PANTS
I believe that sums up my feelings after finishing Act 3.

EDIT: Because battuta asked me to, my thoughts on the Gaian Effort:

Spoiler:
That Gef woman's thoughts in the dreamscape about baseliners and separate species scares me.  I'm a bit of a transhumanist myself, but mankind splitting up into various species that simply don't care about each other but regard each other as aliens or worse has me worried about any future we might have as a (mostly) united species.  I'm actually rather fond of the idea of multiple, diverse species of humans roaming the galaxy, but I just hope we all remember where we all came from if that ever happens.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:21:24 pm by SpardaSon21 »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Hey, man, all that red text in the install instructions that said BP was no longer compatible with 3.6.14 - we MEAN it! Use the BP builds that the installer provided you.

Fair enough, just getting readjusted the the mod scene. I always seem to miss seemingly obvious stuff like this. Didn't realize there was another version within the install. Working now :P

Nice intro by the way.

I'm getting some really strong reflections from subspace warps and weapons fire off the ships. Is this a minor graphics bug or do I have a brightness setting somewhere turned way the hell too high?

Seriously, if there's a subspace warp ANYWHERE every single ship starts glowing white. Fire a Prometheus and the entire side of the ship lights up bright green. I just don't remember non-WoD ships being this shiny.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm getting some really strong reflections from subspace warps and weapons fire off the ships. Is this a minor graphics bug or do I have a brightness setting somewhere turned way the hell too high?

Seriously, if there's a subspace warp ANYWHERE every single ship starts glowing white. Fire a Prometheus and the entire side of the ship lights up bright green. I just don't remember non-WoD ships being this shiny.

Check the read me in the install thread. You need to adjust your -spec_point. It's a consequence of FreeSpace's default weird lighting settings interacting oddly with the deferred lighting.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I hate to be that guy who spews negativity, but I CANNOT finish a mission I am stuck on.  The mission where
(spoiler-riffic)
Spoiler:
the elder of near unkillability needed to be assasinated was bad enough, I had to do that thing at least ten times with difficultly making very little visible difference.  Currently I'm stuck at trying to take out the freaking invincible defenses around neptune in a rather short amount of time.  The turret virus doesn't have much effect and destroying the carthages radar dishes are nigh impossible with the turrets there to either shoot me dead instantly with seemingly perfect accuracy and massive volume of fire or permadisable my wingmen (at least until the carthage loljumps).  The radar dishes themselves are quite durable and having the frigates target the 'mine layers' hasnt changed the survivability of anything that is detected by the turrets that are trying to deal with the radar dishes.  The fact that I have to hang back and babysit the frigates while fighters and bombers harass them (took me three tries to figure out that was happening) doesn't exactly help matters either. 

This could go on for hours, I have been trying to get through that mission for what seems like ages now.  Its a huge atmosphere/mood killer when I am constantly dying or 'failing' because the carthage decided to pull out with its seemingly indestructible engines.  Which by the way take bloody ages to be destroyed by anti turret strikes that are 'great at taking out subsystems' to paraphrase.  With that rant out of the way I have to say I'm rather dissapointed, I completely lack the capability to get through this campaign.  The fact that this is bloody axe murderer **** my wife while I watch difficulty compared to previous versions doesn't help much either.