Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918343 times)

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
That puts it roughly 100 days out.

...that actually feels completely plausible.
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

It does actually, well could be worse I guess.

Offline Luis Dias

100 days seems absolutely impossibly optmistic. I'd count at it being done somewhere around 2015. If.

Offline Axem

Unfortunately, someone ate the cow that we were using to keep progress on. So work will have to be put on hold until we raise a new cow.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I would say around cow% done.
That puts it roughly 100 days out.

...that actually feels completely plausible.
I'd like to know how you got from "(100 days)% done" to "it will be done in 100 days".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, semantically % means "/ 100", so cow% = (100 days)/100 = 1 day, a promise Axem has already failed to deliver upon.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Qent

cow% done, not cow% remaining. So 24 hours of work have already been devoted to finishing the rest of War in Heaven.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
there is a lot of failure to grasp the concept of percentage going on here...
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline qwadtep

Perhaps "percent" is just the Nagari's closest sane approximation of the concept.

cow% done, not cow% remaining. So 24 hours of work have already been devoted to finishing the rest of War in Heaven.

In which case Axem's statement is "1 day done". Interpretation of this is left as an exercise to the reader.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Or that means 1% done.  Or 100% done?

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Okay, to get back on topic here... Something just struck me. I'm on my... fourth(?) replay of Tenebra. After the the third mission I noticed something strange in the Dreamscape. One of the lines of text where the ship class would normally be for Falconer says "Kovacs, let it go dear," or something to that effect, and one of Vidaura's says "They were good together." WERE FALCONER AND KOVACS LOVERS?! Or, wait, maybe she is talking about Laporte and Simms being good together. Because one of her other lines is, "A dancer on angel dust?" which was Simms describing Laporte. I dunno. Can a homie get a confirm/deny? Batoots?

Also, Falconer said something like "We're starting to think you are a combination of the three of us." Hahaha fourth wall ahaha. Clever, clever. Like when Laporte is all like, "There's two of me: one who comes out in the cockpit and one for the rest of the time." If this stuff isn't intentional I would be surprised. A+ writing, I notice something new every time I play... :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:34:46 pm by Leeko »

my memory of the exact dialogue of the dreamscape is vague, but wouldn't falconer use 'dear' in a non-romantic context?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Sort of off the current topic but... I came across an article describing the Collective Unconscious, and it reminded me of Blue Planet.

The Nagari network was defined by a semi-hidden comment as a way to bind a whole species together. And searching for information on the first phrase, I came across Carl Gustav Jung's theory of Dante Alighieri's depiction of hell being a representation of the disturbing side of the collective. This reminded me of BP because: during the madness sequences, one of the possible images is "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch. The image shows Earth, Heaven and Hell. The painting shows us a depiction of a trinity: Heaven, a place of Order; Earth, a place of Creation; and Hell, a place of Destruction. Each one of the three pieces can be assigned to facets of Blue Planet.

Back to Nagari: It is intriguing how the Nagari network essentially serves as a way to fuse the thoughts of a species with their unconscious ones. The things that are described as your most basic skills, things you cannot share, things that are simply put, unconscious.

Now, let's go back to those paintings: I have a sinking feeling that The Great Darkness is related to the collective unconscious, its disturbing side to be precise. The hidden horror in the union desired by the Council of Elders, the Vishnans, and maybe something else...

Having said all of these things, I'd like to state that I am no expert in psychology, I am just sharing an interpretation of information I found. And as you can notice by the rushed formatting, it could be better described if took more time. But I wanted to post about this before I lost interest in the subject and moved on.

=================

As an aside, I'd like to say I appreciate the (just discovered) aspects of the story from the GTVA and the Federation. Samuel Bei (And the GTVA) have been living a nightmare, eternally hounded by Shivans, but the Vishnans showed them that there is a counter balance to the darkness that fills their lives. WIH does the opposite, Noemi Laporte (and the comfy and campy-happy federation) is being shown by the Shivans that in spite of all the light the Vishnans have shown, there is an inherent darkness to the universe.

Offline Medve

I finally got around to play Act 3, and it was yet again a very unique experience (man, those missions were sweet). What stood out for me was some of the concepts and ways of thinking the Fedayeen employed. I could really identify with some of them, and this was probably the first time I saw the from an outside viewpoint. The whole simulation business and its introduction really caught my attention at the beginning of the campaign.

As a side note, since I didn't find a bug reporting thread, here are all the bugs I found:

-on "Her finest hour", I couldn't manage to get anything different than total loss of over 40 spaceframes, even though I played through it like 5 times. One of them didn't even include more than 15 ships, and another had about 10 losses. I saw a thread about this from January, and I am baffled too as to why this bug exists.
-whenever I order a repair pod on the Jupiter mission, I get pushed away at lightning speed once it reached its spot, and get destroyed. No idea why it happens.
-on the ending cutscene, some of my skybox planes are completely black, others are normal.

These really didn't have much of an impact, I had a great time. And the music was superb. Really blends well with the earlier selection of music tracks, which I also like very much.

Thank you for magnificent work!

Hey, does anyone know if music is still needed for a FS project? Where can I send some samples of my work?
I have one audio file that could go very well on a dogfight or something.

The one I'm talking about has a quick beat (150bpm). It sounds something like "If you don't get there, everyone will die. Fight for your freedom!" hehe

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
best to post this in the general or modding sections, not BP specific forum.
I like to stare at the sun.

Ok, now I do have a question about BP-WiH. Apparently the BankGothic Font is missing when I try to play WiH. Is it just me or is this perfectly normal in WiH? All started when I downloaded the full installation that included AoA+WiH. When I only had BP-AoA everything was fine.