Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918218 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
BP has changed the default font, it should only be different when the mod "blueplanet2" is active.  It is just that the new font isn't what you expected, or are there issues with viewing text?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We decided to replace the standard font due to our massive walls of text. Bank Gothic is many things, readable in large quantities, however, not among them. Any font change is perfectly normal and intended.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
I like the new font, it's very legible. Could it be exported to be used in FS2 outside of BP? And for the matter, could the same be done for those sweet crosshairs?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Extracting the font is easy, just get the .vf files and font.tbl from the core VP. The reticle is just as easy, extract the hud_gauges.tbl and look up the entry there, then get the graphic it references from either the core vp or one of the visual vps.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Oh I see. It's perfectly normal then. Thanks guys. There's no other issue (so far)   :D

Long-time lurker here. Lest my post look like a massive wall of negativity, let me say this right away: War in Heaven is my favorite Freespace campaign, hands down. Thank you for many hours of first-rate entertainment!

Here are some things I noticed.
Spoiler:
The Cost of War
Once or twice, the Leeuwenhoek took 16+ minutes to reach the gate (far longer than the rest of the convoy). I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Collateral Damage
I used to lose the Akula at the start of the mission, every time. But the latest version seems to have fixed this.

Post Meridian
I used to order the Grimler team to kill each individual Maxim fighter; when I opened the mission in FRED, I realized that they're smart enough to interpret "kill one of them" as "kill all of them". It would have been nice to know this during the mission.

Ken
It took me a while to figure out that pressing "T" lets you read the containers in order. I'm not sure how this could be made more intuitive, though.

For the Wrong Reasons
Killing the hostage without aspect missiles is tricky; my primaries seem to go right through her.

Darkest Hour
I often fail the mission when the Valerie arrives, either because the Indus dies or because I die trying to disarm the Valerie. (I play on Medium.) In the dev commentary, General Battuta mentions that in early versions of the mission, the Indus was indestructible, to prevent frustration. I think this is a good idea.

The Intervention
It bothers me that I can avoid the dogfight by just flying off; few of the other missions have such an easy way out, and the dogfight is not unreasonably difficult. ("My Brother, My Enemy" is an exception with which I'm completely comfortable.) It also seems odd that Simms can hold off four fighters single-handedly. Maybe both problems can be solved by making Simms die if the player abandons her?

Aristeia
I once saw the Hydra explode (obviously a big no-no). It happened after I loaded a checkpoint.

One Perfect Moment
During the first few seconds, the player is low enough to see the jagged textures on the moon's surface. It hurt my immersion a little bit.
I once collided with a building (circular, I think?) and got flung upwards an insane distance. I guess the building's physics were weird.

Deals in Shadows
Occasionally, one of the initial Gef fighters jumps out, breaking the mission (nothing happens afterward).

Nothing Is True
It's not obvious that scanning all of the miners first is the best strategy, because the convoy's scattering is unexpected - but the second time, you know what's coming. I guess I was uncomfortable with the use of "meta-knowledge" (not that it's necessary to pass the mission).

Everything is Permitted
The subsystems are slightly tricky to scan.

One Future
Why don't the SOC fighters show up when you destroy the habitat? I would have liked to see them more often.

Her Finest Hour
It took me several playthroughs to figure out that the reinforcements jump in near your position. I don't think this detail was mentioned anywhere.

Eyes in the Storm
The refinery sometimes ends up tilted at a weird angle - because a Satis collides with it, I suspect. The Kopis once undocked very early, possibly for the same reason.

Finally, I'd like to single out "My Brother, My Enemy" for praise. Words cannot describe its awesomeness. I'd noticed the improved AI before, but this is the mission where it really blew me away. The dogfight is fun, challenging, and a little bit different every time.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
With respect to the scattering convoy, they actually tell you that in the briefing iirc.

With respect to the scattering convoy, they actually tell you that in the briefing iirc.

You're right, I just checked. D'oh!

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Yeah, the Leeuwenhoek  takes an insane amount of time to reach the gate... This happens everytime for me. I think it has something to do with the new model, because it worked perfectly pre-update.

Her Finest Hour
It took me several playthroughs to figure out that the reinforcements jump in near your position. I don't think this detail was mentioned anywhere.

Eyes in the Storm
The refinery sometimes ends up tilted at a weird angle - because a Satis collides with it, I suspect. The Kopis once undocked very early, possibly for the same reason.

I have to agree very much on the above points, especially the refinery glitch, it looks really weird when the docking happens.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Yeah, the Leeuwenhoek  takes an insane amount of time to reach the gate... This happens everytime for me. I think it has something to do with the new model, because it worked perfectly pre-update.

That's an old bug, it's because its engines are very prone to getting disabled. I was under the impression it'd been fixed.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

That's an old bug, it's because its engines are very prone to getting disabled. I was under the impression it'd been fixed.

Wait, what? That's a bug? I thought that was just an oversight.  :confused:

For me the Leeuwenhoek was always plodding along at 10-15m/s. It was just bloody slow compared to the rest of the convoy. I wonder if there's a cap-waypoint-speed that fails to work/activate properly? Might be why it just plods along thousands of meters behind the rest of the convoy.

A couple of things I forgot to mention.

Spoiler:
1. Here's what happens at the very start of "Artemis Station": the station flashes into view, then the screen goes black, and then the station fades in. The "flash" doesn't happen in any of the other cutscenes.

2. I once shot the Nauticus in "For the Wrong Reasons", resulting in a failure debriefing - yet I was allowed to proceed in the campaign.

3. If I use the Mjolnirs in "Everything is Permitted", I get a long debriefing in which entire sections are duplicated.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
a long debriefing in which entire sections are duplicated.

I don't remember that from my replay where I did that, so maybe it was introduced recently?

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
It would be interesting if you got more insight into the mindset of the opposing GTVA fighter pilots in acts 4-5. I have often wondered how the BP team see the mindset of the average TEV pilot. Would they be confident of victory knowing that the war will soon be reaching its endgame? Would the be afraid of fighting the UEF pilots knowing the losses that have been inflicted on their comrads? How do they feel towards the enemy and their own commanding officers? I know that in act 2 Simms warns Lapore about trying to understand the enemy but maybe in one mission her curiosity could get the better of her?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
. . . Or maybe she'll have occasion to fight alongside the enemy.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
. . . Or maybe she'll have occasion to fight alongside the enemy.

The ramifications of a Tev-Buntu Allaince might cause the Vishnan psyche to 'splode, or at least encourage the Shivans to have a barbecue. I vote barbecue.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

The ramifications of a Tev-Buntu Allaince might cause the Vishnan psyche to 'splode, or at least encourage the Shivans to have a barbecue. I vote barbecue.

But the silly Vishnans wanted Sammy Bei to ensure that in the first place, but now they poked Shiva and said 'YOU MUST PREPARE TO CULL!' they can't exactly go back on that for some reason, maybe they're incapable of humanlike thought-process? Or the're just mindless aliens like Noemi said. I mean come on dammit, it's only been like a year and a half. Give the ants some more time. It's almost like Vishnu is being the impatient one.
A story like the previous one never existed...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It's not like they can predict the future with near 10000‱ accuracy with countless simulations of the future and stuff. They are just some spoiled impatient brats⸮

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
Im more and more looking forward to when the Vishnans order the cull and the shivans say no. The UEF/Shivan alliance will be pretty formidable  ;)

Im more and more looking forward to when the Vishnans order the cull and the shivans say no. The UEF/Shivan alliance will be pretty formidable  ;)
Or maybe not something as powerful as a Shivan/UEF, maybe just a small Shivan battle fleet led by the Ken gestalt installed in a Demon alongside the Fedayeen?
A story like the previous one never existed...