Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918391 times)

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Or maybe not something as powerful as a Shivan/UEF, maybe just a small Shivan battle fleet led by the Ken gestalt installed in a Demon alongside the Fedayeen?

Depends on whether we are heading for a UEF civil war once the TEVS are defeated in act 4. This would probably be enough for allowing the third fleet/Fedayeen to take Shambala from the Bei influenced First fleet/elders but if the Vishnans decide to interfere directly then I would expect things to escalate rather quickly

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Er. . . how do you know the TEVs will be defeated in Act 4?

Offline Gray113

Thats a secret  :cool:

Don't be coy. However, I will throw in my 2p: Act 4 will be titled "War in Heaven". Act 5 will be titled "Revenant".
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Gray113

I was of course joking although I have stated before my belief in previous threads that the war will be decided in act 4 with act 5 encompasing the personal struggle for the soul of the UEF between Bei and Lapore as the respective avatars of the vishnan/shivan agendas

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Im more and more looking forward to when the Vishnans order the cull and the shivans say no. The UEF/Shivan alliance will be pretty formidable  ;)
According to the "Ken" Node dialogue, they have been ordering a cull for quite some time already. The Shivans seem to be postponing it with random junk commands to avoid giving an answer.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
We decided to replace the standard font due to our massive walls of text. Bank Gothic is many things, readable in large quantities, however, not among them. Any font change is perfectly normal and intended.

As a point, I'm wanting to do this due to having similar massive walls of text in what I'm doing.  The problem I'm having is I can't maintain the HUD in its lovely easily readable form since the font carries over to the rest of the game as well.  Is there an easy way to prevent this without rewriting the whole HUD?  Is rewriting the HUD preferable?  I love where Blue Planet has the messages show up, for example.

Hi,

I've been making fansub videos of Blue Planet: War in Heaven for Japanese viewers, as a tribute for this great mod.
http://nicoviewer.net/sm22020080

And I have a question. How do you say the word “Shuduhune”?

I need to transcribe English words into Japanese characters, but I couldn't find any information about it.
It would be very helpful if you could tell me how to pronounce “Shuduhune”.

Offline FIZ

I believe it is Indian in origin, so it's an Indian->English->Japanese translation.

Spelling it how how I would say it would be like Shu-duh-who-nay

The Shu would be sharp like in "Shut the door"

Funny, only 7 google hits and they are all related to Blue Planet.

I'm not a mod or working on this project and reserve the right to be wrong on the internet.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Personally, I always read it as "Su-du-ne" But I am no expert in the field.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Weird, I thought it was some Native American tribe this whole time, but googling Shuduhune only returns WiH stuff.

I pronounce it Shoo-doo-hoo-nay, which I guess would be something like shu-zu-hu-ne, シュヅフネ? But really I have no idea what I'm talking about.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Thank you for your information.

I think that this mod is planned to be voice acted, so there must be someone who knows how to say it. Maybe I should wait for the next release.

For now, I call it “シュドゥフネ(Shoo-doo-hoo-nay)” as a placeholder. This sounds like a boat or something because “フネ(hoo-nay)” means boats or ships in Japanese.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I always thought it was shoo-doo-hoon because it flowed nicely, being a triplet of "u" sounds.

Hey, by any chance do you know what software was used to create BP and WiH music soundtracks?? :confused:

Most of the music is odds and ends from other games and people like two steps from hell, so there's no real answer to that question.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'm not sure if it's still "most" of our music that is third-party. Belisarius did a good job populating our soundtrack (stickied, can't miss it if you tried) and we also have a fair amount of remixes by Darius.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm not sure if it's still "most" of our music that is third-party.
So much as glancing at bp2-audio1.vp will tell you over half the music is third-party (even counting multipart mission music as one song). You could also just look at the music credits for War in Heaven and count the 33 third-party music credits, compared to the 17 songs in Belisarius's soundtrack. Yes, Darius did a number of remixes. He did not do 16, however.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

So tonight I decided to play through act 3 after putting it off for many months. Boy was I stupid. After experiencing the conclusion, I came here and registered just so I could express my gratitude to the team for putting this magnificent work of art out there for all to enjoy. The mission design was flawless, especially the one in Jupiter's atmosphere. That was a very welcome and entertaining change of pace. The music was very moving and perfectly placed throughout. It truly added to the mood of the story which has been the very best thing about the entire mod in general, in my opinion. I am a fairly stoic guy but when Ken told LaPorte about Simms, I actually cried a little.  That never happens to me. Anyway, thank you very very much for putting in all the time it took to create this masterpiece. I can't wait to see how you conclude it.

I feel this doesn't warrant its own thread so I'll just put this here.

So, I've been going through the Act 2 missions after a break on insanity, (I haven't finished the third act, kind of gave up at the mission with the...err, beam platforms defending the enemy fleet. Hated the amount of commanding I had to do on it). and I'm wondering if Mission 7: My Brother, My enemy is actually
Spoiler:
possible to complete with any of the bonus objectives? I definitely see keeping wingmen alive absolutely impossible because they'll be shredded to pulps in a second. Heck, being able to not get shredded yourself (and finish the mission that way) seems very impossible. A good part of ihow you can complete the mission seems to depend on which SOC aces decide to target you. If it's one with long range missiles, you're boned because you have to engage him and can't put one of the others out of their misery and quickly. If you get lucky enough by getting targeted by Rabbit, or no one, you can - with some luck again - take him out with Dirks from afar. At best, I've managed to take out two aces before being offed myself, both with good hits with Dirks on them.

Kind of conflicting though, I want to finish that mission as perfectly as possible but I feel bad for the SOC aces, if I remember properly they were on a renegade mission of some sort. No memory who the person inside the prison? ship was.
Mind, this is on Insanity. I imagine it's very different on easier difficulties. I guess I'm more knowledgeable about the game than before  to notice how the AI dogfights 1 on 1 are actually easy. Don't think an AI can actually defeat a competent player because of the way the AI decides to start circling at close distance. It's the amount of fighters + them being somewhat competent that makes this mission difficult.

I also managed to
Spoiler:
kill Redoubtable's engines
on mission 6,
Spoiler:
stopping its escape, but making it stuck at 6% and making invincible and allowing it to continue hammer friendly targets. I imagine that's a bug of a sort (In that you never expected anyone to be crazy enough to actually do that)

On mission 5, as I never read the walkthroughs
Spoiler:
I was rather impressed to notice the "pacifist" route. Being able to circle around and stop the enemy from shooting was very neat, especially considering you can allow them to fire on you and start a bloodshed
I wish the same
Spoiler:
pacifist route
was kinda possible for Mission 7.

Also, got to love the accuracy of music cues in this game. Does FRED allow you to change tracks just as first shots are fired/hits are made?

Offline Kolgena

Mission 7 is highly variable on insane. At least for me, about 10-20% of attempts, I'll win the engagements and might even come through with >50% hp remaining. The rest of the time, I die sometimes as quickly as 3 seconds into the fight. The trick is flying behind your wingmen to let them draw aggro. Then you use them as AI screws/bait as you pick off their pursuers while trying not to die from being shot at by remaining hostiles. I've never once finished the mission while keeping my wingmen alive, but I'd imagine the only way to do it is to send them home once they're red health. That's quite a bit of micro when your hand can't leave the mouse without dying and you need to be cycling targets and spamming countermeasures and afterburners.

A general trick I've picked up and started to like for insane playthroughs is to always put 0 energy into shields regen. I only use the guns->shields function to recharge them, which means less wasted energy since you will avoid have shield energy sitting there at the same time as max shield hp. It's more economical to charge guns and engines only because they are never 100% full in a fight, whereas shields often will be. The extra energy can then keep you agile and/or provide more juice for demanding primaries, depending on what you need. Anyways, I've found it keeps me alive better once I adopted it, so it might be of use in mission 7 to keep yourself/wingmen alive?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:56:06 pm by Kolgena »